Weird Music Tastes?

Captain Kirk

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever someone asks me what kind of music I like, I tell them "Music that doesn't suck." I like every genre, I just don't like some of the bands in them. My playlist has gone from, in the past couple minutes, Michael Jackson to Miles Davis to the Pixies, as an example.

In terms of stuff that people wouldn't expect from me, I guess it'd be N.W.A., Lifehouse, and Rasputina.

My favourite types of music are metal and rock, but I am a big Norah Jones, Garth Brooks, Nick Drake and John Denver fan.

I also like 80's stuff like Joy Division, New Order and Depeche Mode.

I also like the music from Les Miserables.

My loves go from rock to classic rock to classical to meditation to techno.

I suppose my guily pleasures would be Foreigner and Sarah Brightman. Yes, Sarah Brightman. I guess I'm a softie at heart, blargh.

And AJ, I thought I was the only one that liked Oasis. :blush:

I like pretty much anything....my main tastes are psychfolk like early Pink Floyd and Syd Barrett, light-hearted acoustic stuff like The Moldy Peaches and Adam Green, and psychobilly like The Cramps, Nekromantix, Zenbilly etc.

I'm also a fan of techno (Apopytgma Berzerk > You), 80s goth (Sisters Of Mercy, Alien Sex Fiend et al), early punk, folk (Ani DiFranco, Thea Gilmore, Tegan & Sara, Natalie Merchant), country...pretty much anything.

I love electronica (Aphex Twin, Autechre, Add N To (X), Adult), Bjork, Radiohead, electro pop/rock (Goldfrapp, Ladytron, Fischerspooner, Polysics, Killers, Bravery), indie rock (Muse, Razorlight, Kaiser Chiefs, Futureheads), classical (Beethoven, Orff, Elgar, Verdi) and eighties(Blondie, Adam Ant, Gary Numan etc).

So the music I like that people may find surprising is Kylie's work over the last few years (Slow, Come Into My World, I Believe In You) and I'm also a big fan of proper reggae, probably due to my dad loving it and always having it on in the car when I was a kid.

Well, I like a lot of different types of music, though nothing that weird. I listen to Trance, Hardcore techno, some Hip Hop, Screamo, Grindcore, Hardcore Punk, Death Metal, and basically all the other extreme metal genres.

Edited by Bas

I primarily listen to mostly rock and roll oriented music. It can be from the roots of rock such as Ike Turner and His Kings of Rhythm, or the decadent side of rock with G.G. Allin. I can enjoy rock that is intentionally poor like Flipper, or a musical masterpiece like the Minutemen. Also, I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed any mainstream rock in years.

I'd say people wouldn't expect me to enjoy the Jamaican Dancehall/Trojan Ska music as much as I do. I also enjoy Chumbawamba's early stuff quite a bit, people seem to get a kick out of that. KMFDM is probably another band alot of people wouldn't expect me to enjoy. Then there is also various rap and hip hop such as Busta Rhymes, Beastie Boys, NWA, Wu Tang Clan, and others.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

I love Kraftwerk, and latley I've started to get into what could be considered (loosely) there electronic influences. I've been listening to Silver Apples and composers like Franz Schubert and Karlheinz Stockhausen. Infact im going to see Stockhausen next month, that will be weird for me to see something like that.

I thank my Dad as he has got me interested in a lot of different music, and he's got me interested in Rai & North African music especially Khaled. Khaled in North Africa & The Middle East is HUGE on a scale that not even The Beatles can match.

That's probably what could be considered the weirdest stuff I listen to.

I listen to everything. I play in a metal band, DJ and (try to) make electronica. To give you an idea, my top five bands/artists atm are:

Bjork

Talib Kweli

Sikth

Evan Dando/Lemonheads

Nas

I listen to Stevie Wonder/Marvin Gaye soul music, gangsta rap or hip hop, pop, rock, metal, punk whatever pretty much. I guess the weirdest CD I own is probably Goldfrapp, as none of my friends can stand her.

My most surprising one would have to be the fact that I have a nigh-insatiable taste for bad retro pop music (especially '80s-'90s), and indeed haven't updated my CD collection much since 1999. Take that for what you will.

My musical taste as a whole is pretty all over the place:

Alan Jackson

Toby Kieth

Willie Nelson

Johnny Cash

Kris Kristofferson

Guy Clark

Townes Van Zandt

Steve Earle

Warren Zevon

Billy Joel

Springsteen

Tom Waits

Lou Reed

The Beatles (together and solo work)

Paul Brady

Paul Simon

Leonard Cohen

Bob Dylan

Woody Guthrie

Arlo Guthrie

Jackson Browne

Eric Clapton

Red Hot Chilli Peppers

U2

Muddy Waters

John Lee Hooker

James Taylor

Tom Petty

Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy)

Nick Cave

Crosby, Stills and Nash

Leadbelly

Ray Charles

Elton John

Harry Chapin

David Bowie

Roy Orbison

Genesis

Elvis Costello

The Eagles

Don Henley

Garth Brooks

Guest 12characters

Everybody likes the Beatles man.

I'm into extreme metal, primarily grindcore. I do vocals for a grindcore band. Also into stuff like Van Halen. Weirdest song I like would have to be The Boredoms - God From Anal though.

Guest 12characters

Yeah I got Abbey Road on vinyl AND CD. Also got Help! and Let it Be. I only like George Harrison's solo work though, and Ringo's good for a laugh sometimes.