Doctor Who

Dingle

I thought it was an acceptable finale, with a couple of great moments of imagery (The Master's death was awesomely directed/acted I thought) and the funeral pyre was eerie and really drove home The Doctor's "loss".

I don't think the woman was Lucy, I think the hand looked too old to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if The Rani is the villain for the next series (or the series after).

Oh, is it me or did they lift the ring thing straight from an old sci-fi show/film. Was it Flash Gordon where someone picks up a ring at the end as a twist?

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was an acceptable finale, with a couple of great moments of imagery (The Master's death was awesomely directed/acted I thought) and the funeral pyre was eerie and really drove home The Doctor's "loss".

I don't think the woman was Lucy, I think the hand looked too old to be honest. I wouldn't be surprised if The Rani is the villain for the next series (or the series after).

Oh, is it me or did they lift the ring thing straight from an old sci-fi show/film. Was it Flash Gordon where someone picks up a ring at the end as a twist?

Thing is, if it IS The Rani, then they've just gone completely against the idea that Timelords have the psychic connection to the other Timelords, The Doctor would know she exists.

I like the Rani idea, but unfortunately The Master and The Rani have been together in the past (I think it was Anthony Ainley who played the Master in the episode) and I'm almost positive that one was trying to kill the other, which makes little sense.

This episode, well, I actually enjoyed it. I didn't see the ending as a cop-out, although I could see that there was very few ways they could actually go. Although maybe messing around with the timeline would have worked much better because then they didn't need to use that "power of thought" thing. Then again, that ties in well with The Masters "hypontic power" over the human race, so if they all think of one word then it breaks it; not so sure on it fixing the doctor but whatever.

I want to see more of The Face Of Boe's life now, and Jack didn't annoy me at all in the last 2 episodes so (Y). The toclafaine I liked, but I wuld have much preferred The Master change history, find another way to sort out The Doctors visual appearance (Maybe use Jack's immortality thing like he has apparently done in torchwood for things) and then go BACK to the end of the world and see exactly how humans ended up turning out.

The ending was silly, but it's only to set up the Christmas special and will probably be forgotten about. At least I hope it is.

Thing is, if it IS The Rani, then they've just gone completely against the idea that Timelords have the psychic connection to the other Timelords, The Doctor would know she exists.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

Christmas Special looks like it will be set on The Titanic but didn’t Christopher Eccleston’s Doctor say he was on board it

Something like “I was on a unsinkable ship once ended up clinging to an iceberg”

As well as that photo if the 9th Doctor outside The Titanic so could we get a cameo from Christopher Eccleston or even a multiple Doctor story if not they should at least mention that The 10th Doctor is trying to avoid him perhaps with a scene where Tennent ducks/hides and we see a familiar looking guy in a leather jacket pass by (if they didn’t give a frontal face shot it wouldn’t even have to be Eccleston)

Christmas Special looks like it will be set on The Titanic but didn’t Christopher Eccleston’s Doctor say he was on board it

Something like “I was on a unsinkable ship once ended up clinging to an iceberg”

As well as that photo if the 9th Doctor outside The Titanic so could we get a cameo from Christopher Eccleston or even a multiple Doctor story if not they should at least mention that The 10th Doctor is trying to avoid him perhaps with a scene where Tennent ducks/hides and we see a familiar looking guy in a leather jacket pass by (if they didn’t give a frontal face shot it wouldn’t even have to be Eccleston)

Indeed he did say that, and there was also a picture showing him with a family that were on the Titanic, multi-Doctor story is a MASSIVE possibility and I pray you're right.

If you want to accept the novels and audio plays as continuity (okay, you don't, but let's dream...) then The Doctor is on the Titantic four times, I believe, including Tennant at Christmas. Although I doubt Colin Baker would be the best one to bring back, as he's basically unrecognisable from his 1985-6 tenure as The Doctor, so old and fat has he gotten in the intervening two decades.

As for the episode itself - I liked it. A couple of interesting things left open, like Martha's possible return at some date and the "who picked up the ring?" debacle, which I really hope isn't The Rani. She was possibly the worst of all Who's villains, recurring or not, and frankly the main practical upshot of the Time War is that she's not knocking about anymore. Terribly written, terrible character, and overacted to the hilt by Kate O'Mara first time around. If RTD is intent on bringing back icons of the classic series one year at a time, frankly we should be on about season 18 with Daniel Radcliffe as The Doctor by the time they go so far as to bring The Rani back, of all people. Ugh. I'm hoping it was Lucy Saxon, and that her shooting The Master was actually all part of some contingency plan they had, because she seemed a bit emotionless and robotic when she popped him in the first place.

Good finale, a little marred by the overuse of CGI for the gnome-Doc and the somewhat silly "the power of faith compels you" resolve, but this is new Who and it's a season finale, and it's hardly the first ridiculous thing they've done in a last episode (Time Goddess Rose Tyler, anyone?) so I can ignore it in favour of a good story. Very much looking forward to another silly Christmas episode, and hopefully we'll get Martha back lickety-split next year, because she ended up being a damn good character and I liked her a lot. Besides, I definitely would. Judging by RTD's habit of casting people multiple times, maybe we'll get Sally Sparrow or that girl out of Hex as the next assistant. Or somebody from Queer as Folk.

Next years full time companion will be Catherine Tate

Catherine Tate accepts proposal to star in fourth series.

Catherine Tate is set to return to the TARDIS for the complete 13 week run of Series Four of Doctor Who.

Award winning comedian Tate will reprise her role as Donna, the runaway bride from last year's Christmas special, despite turning down the Doctor's invitation to travel with him at the end of that adventure.

When Catherine was asked if she would like to become The Doctor's new companion at the press screening of The Runaway Bride, she replied, "I would love to, but no one has asked!" Well, now they have.

"Catherine was an absolute star in The Runaway Bride and we are delighted that one of Britain's greatest talents has agreed to join us for the fourth series," announced Doctor Who's executive producer and head writer, Russell T Davies. "Viewers can expect more ambitious storylines and a whole host of guest stars in 2008."

Catherine Tate : "I addedam delighted to be returning to Doctor Who. I had a blast last Christmas and look forward to travelling again through time and space with that nice man from Gallifrey."

Freema Agyeman who has played Martha Jones, The Doctor's companion throughout the critically acclaimed third series, will return to the show to join The Doctor and Donna mid series.

So yeah, I just read that Catherine Tate is scheduled to be in some more episodes. That's me definetly not watching then, she is fucking woeful.

Did you read it on the first post of this page?

I read it in the Metro actually :P

SciFi is airing the second half of series 2 (Rise of the Cybermen to the two-part finale) from 8 AM to 4 PM EST Friday. Love and Monsters sucked. At least I won't be home to sit through it. (I fast forwarded through a good portion of that episode. Horrible drivel.)

SciFi's also not shorting us Statesiders, as Runaway Bride airs at 8 PM to 9:30 PM EST, followed by Smith and Jones from 9:30 PM to 10:30 PM. Set your DVRs, folks :)