What Are The Best Cover Versions You've Heard?

Hobo

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cashmiesta

My Way - Sid Viscous(Frank Sinatra sang original)

Me and my friends version of Tubthumping - Chuwamba(i think)

Worst covers

Smells Like teen Spirit - Tori Amos

Teenage Kicks - Busted

mitch

Yep, that's Chumbawamba, they were actually very good earlier in their career. Your post reminded me that they have an album from their earlier days called "A Night of Punk Rock Nostalgia" where they covered a few old punk classics. A few songs they covered were White Riot (The Clash), Borstal Breakout (Sham 69), Pretty Vacant (the Sex Pistols), Boredom (Buzzcocks), and California Uber Alles (Dead Kennedys) to name a few. It's a good album, despite it's very dirty sound quality.

Edited by VerbalPuke

Anyone ever hear Dave Grohl cover "Stairway to Heaven" on The Late Late Show? If you're talking about how well performed it was or how well he interpreted the song, then it was horrible, but that was one of the most entertaining TV show appearances ever. The most well done cover for me would have to be Sinatra's interpretation of The Beatles "Something". The worst? Out of Your Mouth - Music (Madonna). I swear to God, they're by far, without exageration, the worst band ever.

Edited by Jar Jar Beatnik

Someone's mentioning of Richard Cheese made my day. That guy is hilarious.

Anyway...

Johnny Cash - Hurt

The Beatles - Roll Over Beethoven

The Beatles - Honey Don't

The Beatles - Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby

Shannon Noll - What About Me

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Voodoo Chile

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

The APC cover of Imagine disgusts me.

You don't put things into context though. The original is not only a great song (my opinon) but summed up the feelings of a generation and whole movement of people that was really centered in music. You could make an argument that that movement died with Lennon. I think it's one of his most important works. That's why it gets rated so highly. Not because it's his best song.

The APC one I understand what they were trying to do with it, but they just butchered it. Once again all opinion, but to take the song and make it an anti-anthem, almost... I can't stand it. I am very critical to alot of the Beatles covers (as well as obviously the covers done of their solo work) and I really haven't found one I was particularly fussed with, but this one in particular I cannot stand.

You sound like I am when it comes to Depeche Mode or Smiths covers.

All I think is that APC (the whole covers album) was just trying to show that no matter when these songs were written (across a wide time spectrum), sadly enough, they still stand true today.

And thier cover on the album of Depeche Mode's - People Are People isn't great either :P

EDIT: Fitzy, I much prefer NIN's version, but with the video, the song, the story behind it....Johnny Cash's - Hurt moves me a lot, even though I'm not a big fan of his.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Guest 12characters

Anyone heard Linkin Park's cover of 'Wish' by Nine Inch Nails? Halfway through the song I wish I had a cyanide capsule to end my pain. Horrible awful song.

Edited by 12characters

My Way - Sid Viscous(Frank Sinatra sang original)

Worst covers

Smells Like teen Spirit - Tori Amos

Teenage Kicks - Busted

mitch

Guest George

Hmm let me remember

Metallica - Whiskey in the Jar

Shinedown - Simple Man (I really dig this guy's voice, the instruments may be crap but the voice is amazing)

Aerosmith, Marcus Miller, Soundgarden, Michael Jackson - Come Together

Guns N' Roses - Knocking on Heaven's door

The doors - Alabama Song

Nirvana - The man who sold the world

Audioslave - White Riot

Blur - Maggie May

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah

Primus - Have a cigar

The Clash - I fought the law

Guns N' Roses - Live and let die

Metallica - Tuesday's Gone

Those are the ones I remember at the moment.

Edited by George

Speaking of Audioslave's cover of White Riot, I heard that many moons ago on MTV2 and haven't been able to track it down since, but I thought it was superb, much better than some other covers of there's I've heard.

Also, online band/music project Species 8472 covered Audioslave's "Shadow On The Sun" in a kind of Celtic folk style with absolutely gorgeous female vocals, it's amazing, and a cover I always forget about it until I hear it, and then I'm amazed every time by how good it is. Apparently the woman they got to sing on the track had never heard the original version, either, she just sang it from the sheet music.