Official Coca Cola Leagues Thread

Guest Red Devil

I can't belive Ipswich missed out on automatic promotion. They played awesome throughout the season staying in the top 2 for most of it and end up 3rd. Damn! Hopefully they get promoted VIA the play offs.

Congratulations to all the promoted teams and commisaration to all the relegated teams.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving into the swing of play-offs, I'd like to thank whoever came up with the bright idea of shoving them at shitty times in weekdays when the weekends are happily free and available. I managed to get a Thursday off work to go to Sheffield to watch Brentford vs. Sheffield Wednesday, only for an exam to clash, so I can't make it after all.

Might have something to do with Sky wanting to screen all the matches. Though to be honest, all the people who'll want to watch that game will just go to the game - now it's just been made harder to do so.

Got home tickets though...for a lovely Monday night clash at home.

Edited by supergrass

Goal difference.

GOAL DIFFERENCE. :(

I hate Northampton with a passion.

:( It's Kidderminster you should hate. They're the tits that let Northampton walk all over them, especially in the last five minutes.

Who does everyone think will win the Playoffs.

I've just backed Derby to win the Championship playoffs, I fancy them to beat West Ham in the final.

I think League 1 will be Sheffield Wednesday beating Hartlepool in the final and Southend will win League 2 playoffs

Who does everyone think will win the Playoffs.

I've just backed Derby to win the Championship playoffs, I fancy them to beat West Ham in the final.

I think League 1 will be Sheffield Wednesday beating Hartlepool in the final and Southend will win League 2 playoffs

At least you think we will get to the final :shuriken:

Not trying to be funny but Ipswich didn't particulary deserve to get 2nd place. They didn't play awesome all season and their match against Brighton proved that. For a long time during the season they got lucky with their results - and I should know as we lost 2-1 when we dominated the game against them. Wigan deserved to be 2nd as they played well enough to get there, Ipswich overall didn't.

After that mini rant I think Preston might win the playoffs - although if they do they are going to have to do some strengthining in order to get anywhere in the Premiership.

Sorry to all the Brentford fans but I hope Sheffield Wednesday get into the Championship and win the League 1 playoffs. They are a team that should be in the second tier of football, like Nottingham Forest should be. I know that really doesn't mean jack shit these days but I hope they do get back up.

Not ideal for us but back at Griffin Park it should be a sell out which always raises the team that extra bit. I'd say it's far from over but obviously coming back from a goal down is going to be tough against Wednesday.

Still, it's all there to play for, we weren't too bad tonight but Wednesday deserved the win.

Edited by supergrass

The Ipswich match today should be brilliant. I was partly happy Wigan went up because it's going to be a change seeing them in the Premiership. Although still I want Ipswich going up and Nowhich staying up too, that way we get the big Ipswich/Norwhich games next season.

I'm predicting a Preston/Ipswich final with Ipswich going up. I reckon 2-1 to Ipswich today.

^^

That predicition would be wrong, lol.

I honestly dont know who to go for, its 2-1 to West Ham at Half time, and it could go either way. The Ipswich Free Kick was abysmal Goal Keeping, why he didnt move the wall a little and position himself better I dont know.

Rovers fans see red over kit deal May 13 2005

By Mike Hornby, Liverpool Echo

0004D284-889A-1284-B0D780BFB6FA0000.jpg

TRANMERE Rovers fans are seeing red over plans to have the name Liverpool emblazoned on their team's kit.

The Liverpool 08 Capital of Culture logo will be printed on the Rovers strip for the duration of the League One play-offs.

Rovers have signed a sponsorship deal with the Capital of Culture Company for an undisclosed sum.

All the games will be screened on Sky Sports to an estimated audience of three million people.

The 08 logo and Liverpool European Capital of Culture have been printed on the back of the shirts and on the shorts.

Wirral council remains the main club sponsor and will keep its logo on the front of the shirts.

But Andy Doyle, chairman of the supporters association, said: "Personally, I would rather not have the name of a rival club printed on the shirt.

"When Dave Russell introduced the white kit it was to ensure that Rovers had its own identity.

"We are proud of Liverpool's Capital of Culture achivement, but another form of words should have been used on the kit.

"Tranmere is Wirral's team and we are proud of our home."

He added: "Given the dire financial situation at the club I think we should be told how much the sponsorship deal is worth and fans can decide if it is worthwhile.

"But I imagine Liverpool's council tax payers will also have an interest in that side of things."

Rovers chairwoman Lorraine Rogers said: "Winning the title of European Capital of Culture has been a great boost for the whole area, not just the city and we are proud to be associated with Liverpool 08.

"Tranmere Rovers is delighed to have the support of people and organisations on both sides of the river for these crucial play-off games."

Liverpool council refused to disclose the sponsorship sum.

Jason Harborow, CEO of the Culture Company, said: "Using the logo on the kit will help to get the message across to people in Wirral that they are very much included in the plans to celebrate 2008 as well as the legacy beyond."

Thats pretty damn funny :lol:

But seeing as it's the end of the season what would your say about your team's season? Good/Bad? The Future? Etc...

I'll get the ball rolling:

Leicester City - 15th in the Championship

We were the bookies favourites to be heading back into the Premiership with Automatic promotion come the end of the season, instead it was an undeserved relegation battle we had. Micky Adams left the club following being unable to adapt his Long Ball strategy without names like Les Ferdinand and Paul Dickov. Craig Levein came in and hasn't had immediate success, but has shown a lot more potential than Adams ever did for us.

Transfers out of the club over the season have seen the average age drop sharply, out with experience and in with youth. Players who have left us over the season have been: Martin Keown, Chris Makin, Trevor Benjamin, Kevin Pressman and James Scowcroft amongst others. These players never really did much for us over the season and so I was personally glad to see them go, although if it wasn't for Trevor Benjamin of all people we wouldn't have been mid-table when Adam's left.

Transfers into the club have been overall a big success. Levein has got an eye for good young talent, and out of his four signings - three have already become top parts of our team. Alan Maybury, Stephen Hughes and Patrick McCarthy all have potential to be the best players in the Championship next season judging by their performances so far. Mark De Vries has been a donkey so far, but if Levein sticks with him he might be able to return to the form he had with Hearts over the past few years.

15th place wasn't a great finish for us, and throughout Levein's time here we played well above that position. We lost games we should have won (Ipswich, Stoke etc) and drew games we should have won (Wolves). The major worry over the season however came with the HOME losses to Rotherham and Nottingham Forest, we didn't perform in those games while we always managed to raise our game for the top teams. We should have halted Sunderland's promotion party being one example - but like last season we let ourselves down with our finishing rate and goals conceeded.

Now the season is over we have seen more players leave the club in the form of: Ian Walker, Nikos Dabizas, Keith Gillespie, Lilian Nalis, Scot Gemmill and Nathan Blake. Sadly a few of those players I would have loved to have stayed - especially Ian Walker who has given his all, and is one of the top keepers in the Championship. Gillespie was a reformed player under Levein also, and Nalis gave some effort to the cause. Unfortunatly their wages being too high seems to have been the main factor in their departures.

However with those guys gone there is now people to come in. Patrick Kisnorbo - an Australian International being the first of those, while Jani Sturm's transfer was cancelled after he failed a medical. Rab Douglas looks like he could be joining us from Celtic - and the Celtic fans are already celebrating of being rid of him...

Moma Sylla is another one who at this moment looks set to come in, multi-position player.

Next season we have to pick ourselfs back up and go for a playoff position. Levein has had his time to settle in now, the potential is there. Although I am slightly more concerned than a few weeks ago about our chances for next year due to the departures of Walker, Nalis and Gillespie.

So I really expect a top 6 finish next year, and it really is possible, as long as the team reaches their potential we should be there.

Sylla would be a good signing. I watched him when he first came to Scotland with St. Johnstone and he was shit hot. It's just a pity that he hasn't had much of a chance at Celtic.