Official Transfer Thread

Guest The Real Deal

Do Liverpool fans actually rate Neil Mellor highly?

I know he scored that goal against us but he really hasn't ever impressed me. He is very slow and seems very lazy when I watch him play. You should just flog him in my opinion. He doesn't look Premiership quality.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everton have signed Phil Neville from Manchester United, subject to the England international passing a medical.

Neville will cost The Toffees in excess of £3 million after deciding to end his career-long association with The Red Devils.

The 28-year-old missed United's friendly against Royal Antwerp on Wednesday evening as he homed in on a move to Goodison Park.

Toffees manager David Moyes has been anxious to strengthen his squad ahead of the club's first foray into the UEFA Champions League.

With Villarreal standing in Everton's way of a place in the group phase, Neville's vast European experience will be a boost to the Merseyside club.

His versatility will also be a useful tool for Moyes, as Neville is capable of playing in both full back positions and in midfield.

Neville's impending departure from Old Trafford will bring an end to a trophy-laden decade for the player with The Red Devils.

He made his debut in the now-famous 3-1 defeat to Aston Villa on the opening day of the 1995/96 season when United were told they would 'never win anything with kids'.

In the subsequent decade, Neville has gone on to make 389 appearances for United, scoring eight goals, and has also been a regular fixture in the England squad.

Sir Alex Ferguson's decision to sanction the sale of Neville is likely to fuel talk he has a midfield signing lined up, particularly with Kleberson also close to leaving the club.

From Skysports.com

Not a bad buy for Everton, definately gives them a bit of CL experience.

Edited by MDK

Phil Neville's set to join Everton. I reckon that's a good buy for them. He can play a lot of different positions, and while not a great player he's decent. I could never see the Neville's leaving the club but I can see why he's chose to. He'd have struggled more than ever to get into the team at ManU this season with them signing Park and converting Smith to a midfield player he's further down the pecking order.

Manchester City are poised to make an improved offer for Fulham's French midfield man Steed Malbranque after having a £4m bid turned down.

City boss Stuart Pearce wants to add the 25-year-old to his squad after losing England star Shaun Wright-Phillips to Chelsea for £21m.

Fulham have snubbed the first approach, but City will return on Thursday.

And BBC Sport understands City hope Malbranque may even sign before Saturday's friendly against Olympiakos.

Malbranque joined Fulham from Lyon for £5m in August 2001, and has been highly influential in Chris Coleman's side.

"We still retain a strong interest in the player," a City spokesman told the club's website.

Pearce still has some of the proceeds of Shaun Wright-Phillips' £21m sale to spend and is believed to be considering an improved bid for Malbranque.

Malbranque has scored 38 goals in his four seasons with Fulham, but is primarily a creative midfielder and City have lacked that type of player since the departure of Ali Benarbia.

He had previously been linked with interest from Aston Villa.

Arsène Wenger intends to sign a goalkeeper before the weekend.

The departures of Stuart Taylor to Aston Villa and Graham Stack on loan over the summer has left the Frenchman with only Jens Lehmann and Manuel Almunia as his recognised keepers.

On Sunday Wenger admitted that Uruguayan international Sebastian Viera was among his options. Speaking exclusively to Arsenal.com this afternoon, the Frenchman did not name names but he did reveal the deal would be concluded quickly and the new keeper would challenge the present incumbents for their spots in the first team squad.

“Certainly I will bring in another goalkeeper,” said Wenger. “That should be decided tomorrow or Friday.

“You don’t take a goalkeeper to sit on the bench, you take them to challenge everybody. That is what we intend to do. It is fair competition.

“At the moment Lehmann is No 1 in my opinion but we live in a competitive world and everybody accepts that you are only as good as your last game. You always have to prove yourself again.”

source: arsenal.com

Think it is a safe bet to say it is Viera. :D

Its going to be strange seeing Phil Neville start the premiership season against us in a matter of weeks, thats for sure.

Like Nicky Butt, who is also on the move, people tend to overlook just how important Phil was in our success in the past. Its just a shame, they couldn't keep up with the modern generation of players at the club. Realistically the move will do Phil all the good, with Everton he's almost certain to get more starts than at United and at this stage in his career it's vital he eventually made the transition from bench to starter.

Monaco have announced that central defender Julien Rodriguez has been transferred to Rangers.

A statement on the French club's website confirms the deal for the 27-year-old, who will cost £1m and sign a four-year contract at Ibrox.

Rodriguez, who had two years left on his Monaco deal, skippered Didier Deschamp's side last season.

Rangers manager Alex McLeish turned to Rodriguez after Sotirios Kyrgiakos turned down the club's offer.

Rodriguez is expected in Glasgow on Thursday evening to undergo a medical and complete his move.

The defender came through the youth ranks at Monaco and made 24 appearances for the French club in their domestic league and Europe last season.

He made his European debut in a 1-0 home defeat by Rangers in September 2000.

A proposed transfer to Paris St Germain in the summer of 2003 fell through for financial reasons and he went on to be an ever-present that season as Monaco reached the Champions League final before losing to Porto.

Figo heads to Inter for medical

Real Madrid midfielder Luis Figo has flown to Inter Milan to undergo a medical ahead of signing a reported two-year deal with the club.

The 32-year-old left Real's training camp in Austria on Thursday in order to make the trip to Italy.

"I'm going to see if Inter will let me play a bit of football," said Figo, who fell out of favour at Real last season.

"On Saturday I'll give a news conference to say goodbye to the Real fans as I can't do that by playing."

The Portuguese star was linked with a move to Liverpool earlier in the summer, but a proposed deal fell through when Real demanded a fee.

Figo joined Madrid for £37m in 2000 in a sensational transfer from arch rivals Barcelona.

He was widely regarded as the big-spending club's first ever "galactico" and helped them to the league title in his first full season at the club.

The former World and European Player of the Year went on to play an important part in Real's victory in the 2002 European Cup and 2003 Spanish championship.

Story from BBC SPORT:

Graeme Souness admits Jermaine Jenas wants to quit Newcastle because he feels he is "living in a goldfish bowl" while he stays at the club.

Arsenal, Spurs and Manchester United are likely to battle for the £10m-rated 22-year-old England midfield man.

"I've spoken to the player's agent and he tells me that JJ is quite happy with things at the club," said Souness.

"But he says JJ feels that it is like living in a goldfish bowl being a United player in Newcastle."

Jenas missed the Intertoto Cup exit against Deportivo La Coruna, but boss Graeme Souness hotly denied it was the result of a bust-up between the pair.

Spurs had been reported to be willing to exchange Robbie Keane for Jenas, but Souness dismissed the claims, insisting: "Robbie Keane is not the kind of striker I am looking for at the moment."

Souness, angry at suggestions Jenas missed the Depor game because he is going to be sold, said: "This is absolute nonsense. The only reason JJ was not involved was because he was injured."

But Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has made no secret of his admiration for Jenas, and is still seeking a replacement for captain Patrick Vieira after his departure to Junventus.

Tottenham have signed Edgar Davids, but might still make a move if Jenas asks for a transfer.

Manchester United have also been linked, as they look for a long-term replacement for Roy Keane, and Middlesbrough are reported to be keen.

Newcastle initially placed a restrictive £20m price tag on Jenas, who has won 12 England caps, but may accept half that figure.

Story from BBC SPORT:

I wouldn't have him over any player in our first-team.

At the minute, he's potential and thats it. Both United and Arsenal already have players loaded with potential in the midfield position that are comign through the ranks, neither really need another one. If Jenas is going anywhere, it'll be Spurs even though I think he'd be better staying at Newcastle as there at least he's certain for a starting place.