Official Transfer Thread

Guest The Real Deal

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villa have this afternoon agreed terms with Liverpool for striker Milan Baros.

The Czech international will now undergo a medical, with a view to signing  a four-year deal tomorrow.

Operations Director Steve Stride told www.avfc.co.uk : "We've reached an agreement with Liverpool to sign the player and the next step is for him to have a medical. Hopefully we can soon conclude the deal."

Bout freakin' time.

Everton have failed with a bid to sign England striker Michael Owen.

The Real Madrid forward, 25, looks likely to leave the Bernabeu and has been linked with a return to Liverpool as well as a move to Manchester United.

Boss David Moyes, who also said Everton had a £10m bid for Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt rejected, stated: "We have been in contact with Michael and his advisers.

"Unfortunately he does not see Everton as a team he would choose at this present time."

Despite finishing fourth in the Premiership last season to earn a Champions League place, Moyes admitted he has found it hard to attract new players.

He added: "We offered £10m for Dirk Kuyt and that was rejected on 1 August by Feyenoord.

"I am trying to reassure fans I am in for most of the big names.

"We do have money to spend if the right players are available - but getting them in is the problem."

Owen spent much of his first season at Madrid coming off the bench.

And he has found himself even further down the pecking order at Real following the signings of strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Story from BBC SPORT:

Michael Essien's arrival at Stamford Bridge looks to have put an end to Tiago's stay in West London as the midfielder is in France discussing a move to Lyon.

Champions Chelsea have agreed a fee of €10 million (£6.8 million) with their French counterparts, with the player now only having to concur on personal terms before his exit can be confirmed.

Tiago and his agent, Jorge Mendes, are already in Lyon - where the player will undergo a medical and tie up the final details of his contract.

The talented Portugal international proved a useful performer last term for Chelsea, regularly filling in a variety of positions across Jose Mourinho's midfield following a move from Benfica, but it now appears his spell in the capital is drawing to a close.

"All is practically closed and it is the best exit for Tiago as he wants to play more regularly,'' confirmed Mendes.

With the 2006 World Cup on the horizon, Tiago is desperate to play on a regular basis to cement his place in Portugal's squad - aware that Essien's arrival is likely to severely restrict his opportunities at Chelsea.

"If I want to play the World Cup 2006, I need minutes,'' conceded Tiago.

''With the arrival of Essien my situation was complicated and this proposition of Lyon is excellent.

''The option of the Champions League is magnificent.''

It is believed that Tiago will put pen-to-paper on a five-year contract in the next few days.

Right, this has got me thinking because I'm a bit confused.

So Lyon are going to buy Tiago for £6.8m. Before agreeing to sell Essien to Chelsea for £24.4m, they turned down an offer from Chelsea of £21m + Tiago, with my calculations making it that Essien would be worth £27.8m.

So havn't Lyon just lost out?

The only other thing I can think of is that Essien's fee can rise more after appearnaces all that stuff.

• Admin

Newcastle United have agreed a transfer fee with Real Madrid for England international Michael Owen.

The former Liverpool striker had earlier said he would prefer a return to Liverpool but Reds boss Rafa Benitez remains lukewarm about a possible Anfield return for the 25-year-old.

A statement on Newcastle's official website said: "Newcastle United have met Real Madrid's asking price and conditions.

"The agreed fee will be a record transfer fee for Newcastle United. It is now up to the player and his advisor."

Owen had earlier revealed: "I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool.

"If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle."

Owen has been in talks with Real president Florentino Perez and now realises that his first-team opportunities with the club this season are likely to be minimal.

"I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year," he added.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

It was confirmed by David Moyes on Tuesday that Owen, who scored 158 goals in 297 games for Liverpool, turned down the chance to join Everton earlier in the summer.

Shearer and Owen together again?

Edited by Messiah-Dice

If Owen does sign for Newcastle then I'll eat my hat. Ever since the whole saga started I've been saying there's no way Owen will go to Newcastle and that Souness is an idoit for even thinking he could get Owen.

Whoops :blush:

Rio Ferdinand is a potential weak link. He was absolutely roasted against Denmark and he's getting too big for his own boots. The only reason we haven't let in a goal is because of Van Der Sar. The saves he's made so far. (Y)

But what happens when we play teams with top quality strikers? Like Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal. Everton and Villa had their chances to score against us and that's the difference between average and great teams, they can take their chances.

Rio Ferdinand is a potential weak link. He was absolutely roasted against Denmark and he's getting too big for his own boots. The only reason we haven't let in a goal is because of Van Der Sar. The saves he's made so far.  (Y)

But what happens when we play teams with top quality strikers? Like Chelsea, Liverpool or Arsenal. Everton and Villa had their chances to score against us and that's the difference between average and great teams, they can take their chances.

No we didn't.