Champions League Final Thread

G-O-D

:|

So you're saying that after scoring three goals in ten minutes (well, scoring one and being given two), they're going to say "omg, we've scored three goals, we're back in it, we cannot possibly score another one even though it only took us ten minutes. DEFEND~!"

Would you EVER see a team like Arsenal doing that? Hell no... Italian teams ALWAYS get bashed for that very thing (even by YOU), so how can you sit there and defend Liverpool for doing it?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking hell, what have I missed?

The people slagging Liverpool off in this thread are the same people who use every opportunity to slag Liverpool off. It's just kind of laughable that they are doing it when we have just won the most memorable European cup final ever. (Although I admit I did diss Spurs earlier - apologies, Spurs are a great club)

Fact is, no amount of bitching and moaning is going to take anything away from what our team achieved. We're proud of what they've done, and we're proud of the manner of their comeback. No-one's ever done that before on a stage that big. Knock at us all you like.

_41185457_gerrardtrophy.jpg

That's our trophy.

Fucking hell, what have I missed?

The people slagging Liverpool off in this thread are the same people who use every opportunity to slag Liverpool off.  It's just kind of laughable that they are doing it when we have just won the most memorable European cup final ever.  (Although I admit I did diss Spurs earlier - apologies, Spurs are a great club)

Fact is, no amount of bitching and moaning is going to take anything away from what our team achieved.  We're proud of what they've done, and we're proud of the manner of their comeback.  No-one's ever done that before on a stage that big.  Knock at us all you like.

_41185457_gerrardtrophy.jpg

That's our trophy.

We'll have to agree to disagree then. I'm know I'm not in the minority (except maybe on here) in saying that Wednesday was the greatest comeback ever. Three goals down is dead and buried, one down is never game over. I'm not saying 1999 wasn't impressive, it was amazing and they were the best team in Europe then. But everyone said the game was over at half time on Wednesday - for Liverpool to come back was more than amazing, it was shocking and freaky, especially when considered it was against AC Milan, famed for being able to protect the smallest margins.

Edited by pigeon

Yeah that's what I said though. It was a brilliant comeback and no one can even deny it, but if you look at things then you'll surely see that what United did was as good.

I know you're a Liverpool supporter so obviously you're enjoying this ten times more, but at the time Bayern were possibly the hottest team around, well second to United. On Wednesday while Milan were favourite and in awesome form on the night, they still had major problems in the team. I'm not using that as an excuse or anything, but they certainly were not on top form because if they were, three goals wouldn't have gone in. Not because Liverpool aren't capable, but because when on top form they are super at defending, and in the second half they weren't even close to being like that. I really hope they can defend it though. If they cant then that's quite sad. I couldn't care about what the rules and stuff say, I just don't want to hear my brother and friends say how they were screwed out of it or something and how if they were there they would have defended it piss easily (That's how much of a twat my brother is :P ).

In other news, this weekend we'll see what final team goes into the CL from Serie A. Either Udinese or Sampdoria will make it into it but it's going down to the final game, and Udinese have got Milan so that's going to be interesting. I hope Sampdoria steal the place, they've been awesome all season and are another Italian team who are really focused on great attacking football most of the time.

Sorry, when did I just go for the personal insults? Aside from calling TRD's team small and insignificant (which I still stand by), I was responding to you after you started trolling.

I'd put the Liverpool comeback above those you mentioned simply because Milan are a vastly superior side to all those you mentioned. Johnny said Milan had problems - what problems? They had a full strength side (aside from Ambrosini, but I don't think he would've started anyway), and clearly didn't let the disappointing end to their league season (or defeat to PSV) affect them in any way, as shown by the way they played in the first half.

Liverpool did achieve, but it's more frustrating that they could have done it in style, but rather elected not too and the mass hysteria (even more so by non-Liverpool fans) over the performance is bizarre. As a Liverpool fan I would expect you to overhype it and look at it in such a way. I wouldn't expect many outsiders who follow the sport to get caught up in it that OTT.

I didn't really mean they had actual problems when it comes down to the players. What I'm saying is that so many times this season they've thrown away a great lead. You look at the Milan side and realise they have possibly the best defence in the world. I don't care if you're Brazil, if you're on top form then no one is scoring three against you.

It sounds like I'm taking something away from Liverpool, but I'm not. I respect the team for the comeback but seriously if Milan hadn't of crumbled in that second half like they did, then Liverpool certainly wouldn't have been winning. All Milan had to do was play calm and defend well, yet they didn't really do that until it was down to 3-3.

It has to be looked at too and things need to be changed in some sort of way. When you've got a super team who can score three goals in the first half and go on to lose it all in the second, then somethings up. Like I said, they've got in my opinion the best defence in the world and yet they've done stuff like this a good five or six times this season. It may not seem like anythings wrong, but really there is.

I'm not going to argue about comebacks or anything though, because it was amazing what Liverpool did even if I did want Milan (Y)

For the third time, it WAS a good comeback, but not the best. :rolleyes: It's all relative aswell. Teams coming from several goals late on against teams of roughly a similar level regardless of which level it is are surely making the equal comeback? Otherwise we could say that Stevenage comeing back from 1 - 0 to draw with newcastle was the greatest comeback after all they were one down against a team of vastly superior quality.

The fact is it wasn't that spectacular, there have been some greats, and this was a good one but nowhere near one of the best of all time.

For the third time, it WAS a good comeback, but not the best. :rolleyes:  It's all relative aswell.  Teams coming from several goals late on against teams of roughly a similar level regardless of which level it is are surely making the equal comeback?  Otherwise we could say that Stevenage comeing back from 1 - 0 to draw with newcastle was the greatest comeback after all they were one down against a team of vastly superior quality.

The fact is it wasn't that spectacular, there have been some greats, and this was a good one but nowhere near one of the best of all time.

JP isn't saying Liverpool only won due to Milan's problems, he's simply saying this proves they do need to sort themselves out. Liverpool had a tough season, and in the end, still walk away being the best club in Europe.

For the third time, it WAS a good comeback, but not the best. :rolleyes:   It's all relative aswell.  Teams coming from several goals late on against teams of roughly a similar level regardless of which level it is are surely making the equal comeback?  Otherwise we could say that Stevenage comeing back from 1 - 0 to draw with newcastle was the greatest comeback after all they were one down against a team of vastly superior quality.

Scoring 3 goals against a team that are superior to yourselves is a much better achievment than coming back against a team of roughly similar quality.

And dealing in "what ifs" is ridiculous. Have Stevenage done that? Nope, so your argument is invalid. And you're still in the minority, it was called "the mother of all comebacks" because of who it was against. All you've done is tried to put a negative on it (oh, you looked for penalties, played defensively blah blah blah). And please, don't avoid the question: Can't you be happy that an English team won it? Like pigeon said, it's the usual suspects taking whatever chance they can to take shots at Liverpool.

JP; to be fair Liverpool have hardly been great this season either, and we've had plenty of problems.

For the third time, it WAS a good comeback, but not the best. :rolleyes:  It's all relative aswell.  Teams coming from several goals late on against teams of roughly a similar level regardless of which level it is are surely making the equal comeback?  Otherwise we could say that Stevenage comeing back from 1 - 0 to draw with newcastle was the greatest comeback after all they were one down against a team of vastly superior quality.

Scoring 3 goals against a team that are superior to yourselves is a much better achievment than coming back against a team of roughly similar quality.

And dealing in "what ifs" is ridiculous. Have Stevenage done that? Nope, so your argument is invalid. And you're still in the minority, it was called "the mother of all comebacks" because of who it was against. All you've done is tried to put a negative on it (oh, you looked for penalties, played defensively blah blah blah). And please, don't avoid the question: Can't you be happy that an English team won it? Like pigeon said, it's the usual suspects taking whatever chance they can to take shots at Liverpool.

JP; to be fair Liverpool have hardly been great this season either, and we've had plenty of problems.

For the third time, it WAS a good comeback, but not the best. :rolleyes:   It's all relative aswell.  Teams coming from several goals late on against teams of roughly a similar level regardless of which level it is are surely making the equal comeback?  Otherwise we could say that Stevenage comeing back from 1 - 0 to draw with newcastle was the greatest comeback after all they were one down against a team of vastly superior quality.

The point you are deliberately avoiding is that you scored three goals, yes. You came back against a good team, yes. But you didn't come back to win, which is what so many other teams have done.