Man United Thread

Jook

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Park Ji-sung's agent Chiel Dekker has confirmed Manchester United are trying to sign the PSV Eindhoven wide man, leaving the South Korean with a difficult decision.

Although happy in Holland and having huge respect for coach Guus Hiddink, the midfielder has already admitted he would consider leaving Eindhoven if the right offer came along.

A switch to Old Trafford would be difficult to resist although the two clubs have yet to discuss any transfer fee for Park, who has been offered a new contract with the Dutch Double winners.

"Of course he wanted to extend his deal," explained Dekker to De Telegraaf.

"But, when a club such as Manchester United approaches you, it will make you doubt.

"Such clubs will not come along every day."

Park is preparing for the World Cup qualifier with Uzbekistan and is to consult Hiddink, who was his international coach at the last World Cup, before deciding on his future.

"He has much respect for Hiddink," explained Dekker.

"It is not said that he has already chosen for Manchester United.

"But this move is a fantastic chance."

The former Kyoto Purple star will decide within the next week or so, with Sir Alex Ferguson reportedly convinced to try and sign the player after witnessing his performances against Milan in the UEFA Champions League semi-final.

The midfield man can play on either flank but operates mostly on the right for PSV.

Well, I wouldn't mind him. Keiran Richardson (if not leaving the club) could very well be Gigg's replacement though in the end.

My checklist for success next season as far as ManU goes is simply:

1. Buy a good (or even vaguely consistant) keeper

2. Have a fit Ruud for more than a few games at a time

Well, any of the following keepers are players I'd like to see us sign:

Sebastian Frey - With Parma still possible to get relegated and in financial difficulties, a bid of over £4million could get him.

Andreas Isaksson - Still only 23, but has more experiance than his age would suggest, with good performances for his country. £4million should get him.

Paul Robinson - Definately a maybe. There's no doubting his quality, but it would probably take at least £10million to get him, which is more than I'd like to see us spend on a keeper.

Shay Given - Had the unenviable task of sitting behind Newcastle's defense, and with Newcastle no longer even favourites for a UEFA Cup place, there has been speculation recently, though it is only speculation, that he could be moving on in the Summer.

Antti Niemi - Solid, reliable and a good all-rounder. With Southampton relegated and excellent number two Paul Smith still at the club, the Saints could be willing to let him move on. Could be a perfect short term solution.

Heurelho da Silva Gomes - Closely linked with United during PSV's Champions League campaign, his age, at only 24, and his pretty low price tag of about £6million make the future Brazilian No1 a great choice.

Other than that there are a few youngsters who it would be great to see come in, Mainly Lastuvka, Kameni or Curci, but at this moment in time we need someone who is proven quality.

To me, Ruud isn’t as much to blame on our failure this season as people are making out.

Sure, he could have been relied on in an ideal world to score 20+ Goals a season if his fitness was in check, but that clearly wasn’t meant to be.

I'm not putting the blame on Ruud, but had he been fit for the full season we probably would've done a lot better. Rooney is good upfront but I don't rate Saha or Smith and Ronaldo doesn't belong in attack. We need Ruud. Oh and Solskjaer back would be fucking brilliant. He's a legend.

Buy a good (or even vaguely consistant) keeper

Who do you suggest? I've seen a lot of names mentioned in the papers. I wouldn't pay 35m for a goalkeeper, that's fucking stupid. I don't see how is a goalkeeper worth that much money.

I'd take just about anyone over Howard at the moment. I highly doubt anybody at the level of Buffon is going to sign. I would love to have Sebastian Frey (edit: and I typed that before I saw the last couple guys suggest him) at Utd though. That too is unlikely though. I'd take any one of Jaaskelainen, Niemi, Green (perhaps) or moreso Van Der Sar.

Guest Red Devil

I'm hoping for either Seba Frey or Paul Robinson to come to United. Both are good solid keepers that are a lot better then Howard. I still feel that Tim Howard will get back the #1 jersey. His first season was too good to be a fluke and I think with some experience he should be able to level out his performances and get back the #1 spot. However, that's going to take a good few years so we need someone else and for me Robbo is first choice.

I'm not putting the blame on Ruud, but had he been fit for the full season we probably would've done a lot better. Rooney is good upfront but I don't rate Saha or Smith and Ronaldo doesn't belong in attack. We need Ruud. Oh and Solskjaer back would be fucking brilliant. He's a legend.

Agreed on Solskjaer. But how can you not rate Alan Smith? Start of the season he was our best player by a long way. No one works harder or holds the ball up like he does. He's the perfect strike partner for Rooney which is why i'm hoping we hold onto him for when Ruud packs it in. Obviously it's difficult to leave players like Ruud or Rooney out but I thought Smith should've been given the chance when Ruud was playing shit (See FA Cup Final). A lot of it comes down to Ferguson, if he would just play 4-4-2 then I think any combination of our 4 (5 if you include Solskjaer) strikers would work.

I also read in the paper this morning that we're going after Van Der Sar for £2 million. Apparently officials from both sides have already met to discuss it. Eh, I rate him but he's 34. Niemi's the better option IMO.

What about the forgotten man, Cuddicini? I don't recall him moving from Chelsea, and if he has then I totaly missed it, but he was one of the best keepers in the world at one point. Last season he was in the squad for nearly all the games, wasnt he? Until he was ousted by Chech. And they would be able to get him on the cheap instead of splashing out millions on a massive name.