Screamo and emo.

MalaCloudy Black

I had their "A Retrospective" CD about half a year ago, but back then I didn't really listen to it much. I remember liking it, but I just wasn't into that kind of music yet. Not as much as I am now anyways. I should probably download it again, because it is pretty much essential to any screamo fan.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I should comment because I'm EWB's "emo fag" or so someone called me.

The Early November

I Can Make a Mess like Nobody's Business

Brand New (Deja Entendu)

The Format

Hidden In Plain View

Taking Back Sunday

After reading through this topic, a lot of you have made me smile with what's been said, because it isn't said enough. Screamo and Emo are both amazing genres, when you're willing to wade through the stuff that you don't like, to find the stuff that you do.

I had some people trying to get me into Screamo for awhile last year, but it never worked...and then I found Atreyu on my own, and now I'm expanding more into the genre and really enjoying it...and this is happening for me now, because I found a band that I liked and represented who I am, while still playing the Screamo genre.

It's fun to get into new things.

Anyways, my suggestions are as follows: Atreyu, Underoath and From Autumn To Ashes. Those are the three closest bands to what you're looking for that I would suggest to someone trying to get involved with those genres. They're all good "starter bands".

I suppose I should comment because I'm EWB's "emo fag" or so someone called me.

The Early November

I Can Make a Mess like Nobody's Business

Brand New (Deja Entendu)

The Format

Hidden In Plain View

Taking Back Sunday

To be truly emo you need Sunny Day Real Estate and The Get Up Kids, the two best emo bands 'ever', IMO. Only (Old School) The Get Up Kids can sound more 'old school punk' than all the 'new school punk bands', so much so everybody forgets they're 'emo' (Why is it a negative title anyway) and loves them.

Minor Threat started it all in the 80s with the whole DC Punks cene. If my Emo 101 teacher was right, anyway...

Not at all true, really. Minor Threat started Straight-Edge with their song of the same name, but in no way started the emo movement. If anything, I'd trace emo back to The Smiths, as they were the first mainstream band to really show that kind of "I hate myself, I can't get a girlfriend" kind of emotion that is prevalent in emo and it's multitude of sub-genres today.

The Smiths? Emo? Fuck off. People have been whining and self-loathing in songs for years.

In the odd song, yes. But not to the same extent as The Smiths, or the emo bands these days. Can't really think of a band who did it regularly other than the Smiths. Not saying The Smiths are emo, but I can understand why Skumfrog said that.

And Dragsy, the nerdcore genre thing I have heard them called, but yeah, I wasn't saying thats what they should be called, or that it was good...the name sucks bum.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Just to clarify, I'm not claiming that The Smiths are emo, but I believe that they're very much the basis of the attitude shared by many of today's emo bands, the only difference being that Morrissey did it with wit and irony, which many don't seem to have picked up on.

Just to clarify, I'm not claiming that The Smiths are emo, but I believe that they're very much the basis of the attitude shared by many of today's emo bands, the only difference being that Morrissey did it with wit and irony, which many don't seem to have picked up on.

Many of the bands, or thier detractors, for that matter...

It had to be done with tongue in cheek, otherwise it does just become a parody of the idea it is trying to put across.

Would I like The Smiths?

Possibly, but I dunno.....I think the lyrics work more on a British humour level, but they are worth checking out I guess.

Check out How Soon Is Now?, There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, This Charming Man, and Hand In Glove...after that, if you like, check out some more, otherwise, I guess you should leave it.

They are 80's guitar pop (well, as far as I see them), so thats would you should expect, I guess.

I imagine you would, but they're something of an acquired taste, I don't know anyone who liked them instantly, as Johnny Marr's guitar style, Morrissey's vocals and a lot of the lyrics can sound a bit odd to a first-time listener and seem to turn a lot of people off.

A good few songs to start with would be "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "I Know It's Over", "The Queen Is Dead", "How Soon Is Now?" and "What Difference Does It Make?" to get the main feeling for the Smiths sound, then move on to "Meat Is Murder", "Suffer Little Children" and "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me", and perhaps onto the more light-hearted stuff like "Vicar In A Tutu" or "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others".

Alternatively, get hold of a few tracks off the "How Soon Is Now?" tribute album, which is basically made up of emo bands covering Smiths song, so if you're into that kind of thing could be a better way to ease yourself into the band's style.

I Can Make A Mess Like Nobody's Business, I just can't get into them because the singer from Early November is there... and the song writing is near the same. It's hard sometimes to pick out which is which.

If you want something that sounds up, download Touchdown Turnaround by Hellogoodbye. It's so fucked up, you'll never stop listening.