Official "Recommend Me Music" Thread

Enter Blue Guy

Ok, here's the deal.

It seems like every week at least 2 or 3 of these "recommend me some music" threads pop up. Not that I don't enjoy them, but I personally think it would be much easier and convienent to have one "official" topic in which people can request and/or suggest music, rather then start up numerous threads. The tape thread in the ring was a success and eliminated the constant tape suggestion posts, so why not give it a try here?

Request or suggest songs, artists, albums, genres, you get the idea.

I'll go first.

I'm looking for some hardcore punk, similiar to Death By Stereo... I love DBS, but I know of very few bands from the same genre that I can enjoy as much as I enjoy them.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea too since it seems pointless to have a new thread every few days. Anyways I was wondering if anybody want to suggest me some Classic Rock, I have been getting in to some lately I was just looking for some more to listen to. Dont really have a big playlist so any band/songs would be apprciated. Thanks

Classic Rock

What You Mean By Classic Rock

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Deep Purple

The Who

AC/DC

Queen

Grand Funk Railroad

That sort of stuff?

Anyways I am not sure if this is suppose to be in here or not, but im looking for a song im pretty sure it's by scooter (although might not be), which has something like this in it "If you havn't danced yet then why the fuck are you here" or something along those lines

I'm looking for some hardcore punk, similiar to Death By Stereo... I love DBS, but I know of very few bands from the same genre that I can enjoy as much as I enjoy them.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

Ok, I to a ton of rap, but I haven't listened to much rock recently. I like bands like Chevelle, System of a Down, Shinedown, Staind, Spineshank, Alice in Chains and Rage Against the Machine. I'm looking for bands that aren't really mainstream though, something that I've never heard before. If you can help me out, I'd apreciate it.

Ok, I to a ton of rap, but I haven't listened to much rock recently. I like bands  like Chevelle, System of a Down, Shinedown, Staind, Spineshank, Alice in Chains and Rage Against the Machine. I'm looking for bands that aren't really mainstream though, something that I've never heard before. If you can help me out, I'd apreciate it.

Edited by Livid

Ok, I to a ton of rap, but I haven't listened to much rock recently. I like bands  like Chevelle, System of a Down, Shinedown, Staind, Spineshank, Alice in Chains and Rage Against the Machine. I'm looking for bands that aren't really mainstream though, something that I've never heard before. If you can help me out, I'd apreciate it.

I'll suggestion the following:

Thirty Seconds to Mars (Featuring Actor Jared Leto on Vocals)

Taproot

Unjust

Full Devil Jacket (The band has split since, but they're a good band.)

Lo-Pro

Crossfade

Dark New Day

Cardboard Vampyres (Jerry Canterell's new project, where all they do is cover song, IIRC)

Ra

Seemless

Sinch (Not to be confused with Finch.)

Stutterfly

Switched

Planet of 9 (:shifty:)

Some good stuff in there, and I'll add Mastadon, Unearth, earthtone9 and Cephalic Carnage to the list.

EDIT: And Cardboard Vampyres is Jerry Cantrell of AIC and Billy Duffy from The Cult, amongst others, and yes, all they do at the moment is cover versions.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Woah, I had no idea Jerry Cantrell was in Cardboard Vampyres. I saw them referenced on a Cult forum as a Billy Duffy side-project, tried half-heartedly to track down some material and then gave up, I would have tried a lot harder if I knew Cantrell was involved.

*tries harder*

Shit, I forgot about Every Time I Die - they're fucking awesome.

I just listed people who use the weird timings and structures, it's hard to pin point bands who sound really like DEP.

Can anyone recomend me some really, erm, ballsy (for want of a better word) punk? Along the lines of Amen or The Bronx; a lot of attitude really.

for EBG:

I feel the same way as YI. Death By Stereo are a band that's really hard to find other similar ones. Although not really alike, these are also 90's Punk bands with the same guitar strength/riffs/both, or Hardcore bands with a heavy punk-rock influence. Besides seconding every single one of YI's picks i'm also suggesting the following (which you probably know, but may not):

88 Fingers Louie

98 Mute

Avail

Avenged Sevenfold (because of the guitars)

Good Riddance

H2O

Hot Water Music (although you would need to find the right stuff)

Kill Your Idols

None More Black

Only Crime

Propagandhi (from 2002)

and finally Stretch Arm Strong (their mix of Punk and Metal - except for the last album - is one of the closest to Death By Stereo "mainstream" bands i can think of)

For Tristy:

As happens with Death By Stereo in an absolutely different style, i also find it hard to pick similar bands to Dillinger Escape Plan. All of the following bands have something in common with DEP though, so just try them out to see if you like

A few i would suggest:

Between the Buried and Me

Blood Has Been Shed

Cap'n Jazz

Cave In (less powerfull but equally as chaotic and intense.)

Coalesce

Converge

Curlupanddie

End

Ion Dissonance (more metal though)

Norma Jean

PoisontheWell

Power & Glory (ignore the name and you'll be fine :P)

Scarlet

Also, Candiria, Daughters, Glass Casket, Misery Signals and Red Cross. I don't own albums from these bands so i'm just suggesting out of a couple of songs (apart from Daughters). It may or may not be a good selection.

EDIT: Also, Bas mentioning Botch made me remember i could also suggest bands like Deadguy, Knut and Rorschach and to a lesser extent Psyopus, Creation is Crucifixion, Neurosis or Kiss it Goodbye

Edited by Malenko

for EBG:

I feel the same way as YI. Death By Stereo are a band that's really hard to find other similar ones. Although not really alike, these are also 90's Punk bands with the same guitar strength/riffs/both, or Hardcore bands with a heavy punk-rock influence. Besides seconding every single one of YI's picks i'm also suggesting the following (which you probably know, but may not):

88 Fingers Louie

98 Mute

Avail

Good Riddance

H2O

Kill Your Idols

None More Black

Only Crime

Propagandhi (from 2002)

and finally Stretch Arm Strong (their mix of Punk and Metal - except for the last album - is one of the closest to Death By Stereo "mainstream" bands i can think of)

for EBG:

88 Fingers Louie

98 Mute

Avail

Good Riddance

H2O

Kill Your Idols

None More Black

Only Crime

Propagandhi (from 2002)