Official "Recommend Me Music" Thread

Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone recomend me any 'concept' songs?

Concept albums are probably easier....float your boat?

Sure, shoot from the hip buoy.

Lazyness, but go through this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_concept_albums

At a glimpse, check out both Mars Volta albums, The Streets - A Grand Don't Come For Free (unless you hate them), A Perfect Circle - 13th Step, Mastadon - Leviathan

Edited by rvdwannabe

Ok, I to a ton of rap, but I haven't listened to much rock recently. I like bands  like Chevelle, System of a Down, Shinedown, Staind, Spineshank, Alice in Chains and Rage Against the Machine. I'm looking for bands that aren't really mainstream though, something that I've never heard before. If you can help me out, I'd apreciate it.

Ok, I to a ton of rap, but I haven't listened to much rock recently. I like bands  like Chevelle, System of a Down, Shinedown, Staind, Spineshank, Alice in Chains and Rage Against the Machine. I'm looking for bands that aren't really mainstream though, something that I've never heard before. If you can help me out, I'd apreciate it.

You should check out Scars of Life. Not mainstream at all and most likely never heard of by anyone here. They are quite good, in my opinion.

Good band, check them out, I agree.

You should check out Scars of Life. Not mainstream at all and most likely never heard of by anyone here. They are quite good, in my opinion.

Thanks for the responces from everyone, I have some of hte bands already, but there were alot that I haven't heard of that have been pretty good.

The better of the two Mars Volta concept albums is probably De-Loused In The Comatorium, in my opinion. It's an easier story to follow (there is even a free PDF "book" to download on the GSL website), and the album just rocks.

Alright, I'm just looking for something interesting, that being the operative word. Something a bit different.

I like The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In, Coheed & Cambria, SOAD, Jeff Buckley, Saul Williams, Sonata Arctica....so something a bit different.

The obvious choice for The Mars Volta/At The Drive-In would be Sparta, the forgotten band in that trilogy. As for Jeff Buckley, I recommend Tim Buckley, Nick Drake and Rufus Wainwright, who's pretty much his modern-day equivalent.

And as for something different, Carnival In Coal. They're pretty darn different. You need to get hold of a couple of songs to hear the full effect, but I recommend "Right Click...Save As", "Got Raped", "Yes We Have No Bananas" and "Fucking Hostile".

The Second Stage Turbine Blade, you should check out The Postman Syndrome. They have one song on their PureVolume site, and even though it's far from their best song, it's worth taking a look at.

http://www.purevolume.com/PostmanSyndrome

If you think that that song is decent, try to download "Amputees Make Bad Swimmers" and "Unfamiliar Ceiling", both are a lot better than the song they have on there (especially Amputees, which is a great song to download if you want to get into the band).

Oh yeah, check out Motion City Soundtrack too, they are this fairly catchy punk band, but I don't know, they are different from all the other bands playing this same tired music. Songs like "The Future Freaks Me Out", "Mary Without Sound", "Everything is Alright" and "Capital H" are good to start out with.

Edited by Bas

Can someone recommend me songs from these bands:

Monster Magnet

Soundgarden

Yup, they'll do for now.

For Soundgarden, get:

Black Hole Sun

Spoonman

The Day I Tried To Live

Let Me Drown

Rusty Cage

Outshined

Jesus Christ Pose

Blow Up The Outside World

With Monster Magnet, I don't know individual songs, but get anything off of the Powertrip album, quality through and through.

Rage Against The Machine

Yup, they'll do for now.

In no particular order:

Sleep Now In The Fire

Settle For Nothing

Vietnow

Bulls On Parade

Fistful Of Steel

Township Rebellion

Calm Like A Bomb

Born Of A Broken Man

Ashes In The Fall

Killing In The Name Of

Know Your Enemy

Tire Me

Roll Right

Basically... If you dig one Rage song, you will dig them all. And vice verca.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy