Official "Recommend Me Music" Thread

Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant 2000. Sorry YI. I meant Propagandhi from that album, as their previous had a different style, and while i've always loved propagandhi i don't think any of their previous works have anything to do with DBS, reason why i put on the parenthesis.

Edited by Funk Odyssey

I meant 2000. Sorry YI. I meant Propagandhi from that album, as their previous had a different style, and while i've always loved propagandhi i don't think any of their previous works have anything to do with DBS, reason why i put on the parenthesis.

Other bands sort of similar to DBS (I've been promising them); Shockwave (This could possibly be applicable for Tristy as well. Their songs are named after Transformers characters and episodes), Raised Fist, From Ashes Rise, Sick Of It All, Trial By Fire (They sound like Strike Anywhere) and Youth Today. They've all got vague links to Death By Stereo.

And on the topic of Propagandhi, when does the new album come out. They've been promising it soon. There's videos of new songs played live floating around torrent sites. I had one with 3 new songs but I don't have it anymore and can't remember the link.

Didn't the new DBS album come out recently? Like this week.

Okay, now I have a request. I'm looking for 'chillout music' similar to Zero7. Any help?

I would like to suggest that anybody here who likes Tool or A Perfect Circle listen to the band Earshot, if you never have. It's obviously Maynard inspired, and there are moments when I've honestly thought "God, Maynard's good..." only to realize it wasn't him at all. And, I mean, more Tool-esque music is hardly a bad thing.

Also, for those who don't know about this, the website GarageBand is an AMAZING website if you're looking for undiscovered bands with FREE and legal MP3s. You can search for bands that are listed as sounding like or influenced by your favorite bands, and can also browse by genre. GarageBand is amazing.

Can someone recommend me some songs by The Buzzcocks (aside from Ever Fallen In Love), Talking Heads (aside from Psycho Killer) or by The Cult (aside from She Sells Sanctuary).

Also, can someone recommend me some decent cover versions of Depeche Mode/The Cure/The Smiths songs?

Edited by rvdwannabe

Can someone recommend me some songs by The Buzzcocks (aside from Ever Fallen In Love) or by The Cult (aside from She Sells Sanctuary).

Also, can someone recommend me some decent cover versions of Depeche Mode/The Cure/The Smiths songs?

Here are some Buzzcocks songs: Orgasm Addict, Breakdown, Boredom, Why Can't I Touch It?, Noise Annoys, Just Lust, What Do I get?, Oh Shit!, and Promises.

Those are a few of my favorites, and I imagine you'd like them if you like Ever Fallen in Love.

System Of A Down - Anything off of their self titled, Toxcitiy, Aerials, Chop Suey!

Rammstein - Mutter, Du Hast, Mein Herzz Brennt, Sonne, Sehnsuct

8 Foot Sativa

Mushroomhead -- Before I die, Solitaire Unreveling, Bwomp, The Wrist, 43, Thirteen

In Flames -- Accoustic Medley, Jester Dance, Jester Race, Moonshield, Clayman, Only for the weak, Bullet Ride, Cloud Connected, Jotun, Pinball Map, Square nothing, Brush the dust away,.. ah hell with it, their whole discography, except for maybe their last 2 albums, unless you want a disappointment.

Anyone know any good instrumental ambient/atmospheric/doom metalish stuff? Stuff like Isis, Jesu, Pelican, Cult of Luna, John Petrucci, etc etc etc.

System Of A Down - Anything off of their self titled, Toxcitiy, Aerials, Chop Suey!

Rammstein - Mutter, Du Hast, Mein Herzz Brennt, Sonne, Sehnsuct

8 Foot Sativa

Mushroomhead -- Before I die, Solitaire Unreveling, Bwomp, The Wrist, 43, Thirteen

In Flames -- Accoustic Medley, Jester Dance, Jester Race, Moonshield, Clayman, Only for the weak, Bullet Ride, Cloud Connected, Jotun, Pinball Map, Square nothing, Brush the dust away,.. ah hell with it, their whole discography, except for maybe their last 2 albums, unless you want a disappointment.

Anyone know any good instrumental ambient/atmospheric/doom metalish stuff? Stuff like Isis, Jesu, Pelican, Cult of Luna, John Petrucci, etc etc etc.

Ahh.....gotta love a bit of In Flames "last 2 albums" hate in the morning....[/sarcasm]. Dav, knowing the stuff you like, you'd enjoy stuff from thier last 2 albums as much as the rest (check out System, Reroute To Remain, Metaphor, Cloud Connected, The Quiet Place, Evil In The Closet, F®iend, Like You Better Dead)

As for you, Disengager, check out some Neurosis or some Red Sparowes (they have some members of Isis, but are just instrumental).

Also, check out UK band Amplifier....they kinda go more towards proggy rock, but still some good stuff.

Lastly, also try and check out some Ayreon. Again, slightly proggier, but still good.....oh, and Green Carnation.

Recommend me popular dance songs, or non-popular, it won't matter since it'll all be new. Just songs with neat beats that make all those crappy "Best Dance Songs" CDs.

Can someone recommend me some songs by The Buzzcocks (aside from Ever Fallen In Love), Talking Heads (aside from Psycho Killer) or by The Cult (aside from She Sells Sanctuary).

Talking Heads:

Burning Down The House,

Drugs,

Once In A Lifetime,

Take Me To The River

The Cult:

Bad Fun,

Sweet Salvation

Edie (Ciao, Baby)

Painted On My Heart

Lil' Devil

Wild Flower

Depeche Mode covers:

Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus

The Cure - World In My Eyes

The Cramps - Route 66

The Cure covers:

Oleander - Boys Don't Cry

Leatherstrip - Lullaby

Page & Plant - Lullaby

The Get Up Kids - Close To Me

Tori Amos - Lovesong

AFI - Just Like Heaven

Razorlight - Boys Don't Cry

Dismemberment Plan - Close To Me

Jack Off Jill - Lovesong

Deftones - If Only Tonight We Could Sleep

Ben Folds Five - In Between Days

Smiths covers:

The Divine Comedy - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Jeff Buckley - I Know It's Over

Therapy? - Vicar In A Tutu

Supergrass - Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Everything But The Girl - Back To The Old House

Death Cab For Cutie - This Charming Man

Braid - This Charming Man

Dinosaur Jr. - The Boy With The Thorn In His Side

Muse - Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want

Pete Yorn - Panic

Placebo - Bigmouth Strikes Again

Lovesmiths - There Is A Light That Never Goes Out

Now, can anyone recommend some Primus, Carnival In Coal, Carcass or anything similar?

Recommend me popular dance songs, or non-popular, it won't matter since it'll all be new.  Just songs with neat beats that make all those crappy "Best Dance Songs" CDs.

Nowhere near popular, but some great dance tunes:

United States of Electronic; "Emerald City"

The Soft Pink Truth; "Out Of Step"

Scissor Sisters; "Music Is The Victim"

Michael Jackson; "Black Or White"

M.I.A; "Sunshowers"

Lesbians on Esctasy; "Summer Luv"

Le Tigre; "Deceptacon"

Junior Senior; "Move Your Feet"

The Go Team; "Huddle Formation"

The last two are REALLY great dance bands in general. Especially The Go Team.

What are some good Anthrax songs? The only songs of theirs I know are Got The Time, Startin' Up a Posse, and Bring The Noise.

Check out Milk (Ode To Billy), Protest and Survive, Metal Thrashing Mad, Caught in a Mosh, Pipeline (widely known surf cover), Keep it in the Family, Potter's Field, Fuel, and Parasite. Also check out the band Storm Troopers of Death if you decide that you enjoy Anthrax (or even if you don't). S.O.D. was another band with Scott Ian of Anthrax, with their roadie Billy Milano on vocals. They rock hard, and I prefer them over Anthrax.

Now, can anyone recommend some Primus, Carnival In Coal, Carcass or anything similar?

Mr. Know It All, To Defy the Laws of Tradition, DMV, Welcome to this World, Shake Hands with Beef, Tommy the Cat, Mr. Krinkle, Too Many Puppies, The Toys Go Winding Down, My Name is Mud ,and Jerry Was a Race Car Driver (the last two are probably two of their better known songs).

Alright, I'm just looking for something interesting, that being the operative word. Something a bit different.

I like The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In, Coheed & Cambria, SOAD, Jeff Buckley, Saul Williams, Sonata Arctica....so something a bit different.