Official "Recommend Me Music" Thread

Enter Blue Guy

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I still listened to them, I loved Asthmatic, Tear Me Down, Smothered, Forgotten, and Play God. I think, I haven't listened to them in ages. Asthmatic and Smothered were my favorite songs though, I remember that.

I'm looking to check out a few things here. First, can anybody recommend any groups similar to Mindless Self Indulgence? I've been enjoying their work alot lately, and am interested in bands similar to them.

Second, does anybody know of any other avant garde/experimental type bands from the 80s such as Minimal Man, Tuxedo Moon, or Killing Joke?

Sorry to go back to page 1 (I never got any acknowledgement at all) but can anybody recommend me bands in the same style as "Zero7". If you don't know who they are, then recommend me bands that play soft/chilled out 'rock', 'dance' and/or 'electro'. I've already got stuff like William Orbit, who are similar. Anybody know anything else?

A few Buckethead albums are really mellow and chilled out. Good to lay down and just think about shit to. "Colma" and "Electric Tears" are the albums.

Portishead's "Dummy" album is really mellow. Anything by Sigur Rós.

Guest Booker T & The MG's

For chilled out dance/electro kind of stuff Funk Odyssey try some of the following:-

Aim, Rae and Christian or anything on the "Grand Central" Label. Try the "Grand Central" or "Central Heating" complilations.

If you like William Orbit then you will probably like Beth Orton, it's acoustic mixed with tinges of electro. She worked with William Orbit in her early years so Orbit has rubbed off on her work. You can pick up her best of "Pass In Time" pretty cheap these days in most record shops.

I'd also recommend Aphex Twins very early stuff from "Selected Ambient Works 85-92", "Autobahn" (the album) by Kraftwerk" and "Vespertine" by Bjork.

Get yourself some;

A Silver Mt. Zion

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Explosion in the Sky

All of are instrumental ambient/ rock bands. Explosions in the Sky are a bit more rock, while the other two bands mainly use classical instruments like the violin et all. I believe most people prefer Godspeed You! Black Emperor, but I myself like A Silver Mt. Zion best. They are all really relaxing, and good to chill out to, though.

Which songs by Spineshank are good? I really like Negative Space, are there any other similar sounding ones by them?

I don't know about similiar sounding ones, but as for songs that are good here are the ones I like:

Synthetic

New Disease

(Can't Be) Fixed

Full Circle

Perfect Ending

Violent Mood Swings

Slavery

Smothered

Self-Destructive Pattern

Dead To Me

Pretty much just pick up both The Height Of Callousness and Self-Destructive Pattern as both CDs are awesome.

Urgh, seriously, Self-Destructive pattern was the worst album, they worked so hard on making it radio friendly that it just became a bore to listen to. The best album in my honest opinion would be Strictly Diesel, it's raw and passionate and just about every song is awesome, especially the cover of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Anything from that, if you want just one Height of Callousness then obviously New Disease, followed fastly by Playing God.

I'd recomend checking out Johnny Santos' follow up project Silent Civillian and Temper, the band from which SC was born.

Some of the Refused songs I liked were..

It's Not OK To Pretend Everything's Alright

The Marlboro Man Is Dead

Where's Equality?

Refused Are Fucking Dead