Saddest video game moment

PkmnTrainerJ

Okay, forget all manlyhood and trying to look tough. What has been your saddest video game moment? One that you may have cried at.

For me - Aeries' Death on FF7 = Tears

Also Tidus talking to Jecht and saying 'I Hate You' to him. = Tears

So...yeah, I agree with you on those two.

Aeris' death didn't really affect me the first time, because I knew it was coming, and I didn't really like the character. The second time I played through, though, I understood what a vital character Aeris was and I cried at that, and it's moved me every time since. Just hearing her orchestrated music upsets me now.

Manly, me? Never.

Chrono's death in Chrono Trigger. The song that plays... agh, chokes me up every time. I need that game back.

Aerith's death goes without saying. It is the definitive sad video game moment.

Edited by Zero

*****POSSIBLE SPOILERS******

If you actually get drawn into the game, and understand it, the whole of Silent Hill 2 is pretty sad. With James' descent into madness.

If we're talking single moments then in FFX where Tidus finds out that Yuna will die after summoning the final aeon.

Oh, and Silent Hill 3 and the death of Harry Mason, just because Harry Mason = badass.

The Aeris death I was glad she died she was a useless character to my party. Hell I was more sad that Sephiroth died... But that's just me.

For saddest moment I would have to say ummmm I am really not sure... but I will find something. I will edit this later. I just had to get the Aeris thing out there.

When my WrestleMania 2000 game reset itself. I lost all of my CAWs and stuff. *cries*

Oh, right. I don't think I've ever cried at a computer game before. Maybe from laughing (Super Smash Bros. Melee), or sheer frustration (Half-Life) but never from sadness.

My saddest moment was probably...the end of KOTORII. Because I wanted more, dammut. And yeah, I killed Kreia. (¬_¬)

The death of Emma from MGS 2: Sons Of Liberty. It was a really sad and dramatic moment for Raiden, Snake, and Octacon. (The death of Aries is obvious so I won't put it in there.)

The Aeris death I was glad she died she was a useless character to my party. Hell I was more sad that Sephiroth died... But that's just me.

For saddest moment I would have to say ummmm I am really not sure... but I will find something. I will edit this later. I just had to get the Aeris thing out there.

That's pretty much the response I had initially, but if you let yourself get completely immersed in the storyline, as I did the second-through-twenty-somethingth time I played the game, you realise that Aeris is one of the two central components of the plot, along with JENOVA, and just how important her death is.

But maybe that's just me.

One I just remembered that legitimately had me both in tears and thoroughly enthralled was the whole World Of Ruin sequence of FF6, from Kefka's initial destruction of the world, and the following two hours or so getting your party members back...all very emotional. Celes being stuck on the island with Cid was a big one, because it's not a sudden impactful moment like Aeris' death or most video game or movie death moments (well, usually death, but it's actually less interesting if Cid survives), it's so slow and gradual, and you do all you can to try and prevent it, but you know that it's coming.

When something with 16-bit RPG graphics can move you to tears, you know it's a good game.

Edited by Skumfrog

SPOILERS ALTHOUGH LETS BE HONEST YOU SHOULD BE EXPECTING SOME BY LOOKING AT THE TOPIC NAME

Someone mentioned Emmas death in MGS2 - I agree with that completely. Its such a sad moment, the little bit where she takes off his glasses and they just drop to the floor almost had me in tears.

Also, the entire ending to MGS3. From The Boss dying, Eva betraying Big Boss, then describing to him the reason why The Boss died and her actions that led up to her death. So sad. I always thought that MGS3 had a slow start, but it has one of my favourite game endings ever.

Right, while we are talking about Final Fantasy games - FF9, the ending to that. The fact that Vivi dies alone had me close to tears, but Kuja, by far the best FF villain that has ever been, his downfall and then the redemption and the last conversation he has with Zidane.

Deus Ex, if at any point in your game, Paul dies. I rememeber seeing his dead body on this slab and immediatly went on a huge killing rampage. I don't think a game has ever inspired that type of anger in me before.

Getting KO'd for the first time in multiplayer in Fight Night Round 2. I was Ray Leonard and got KTFO by Jake LaMotta in the 10th round. LaMotta is inhuman in that game. I threw more haymakers in 4 rounds than my buddy did in the whole fight, landed double the amount of total punches, had a higher overall accuracy rate, and the Bronx Bull STILL kicked my ass! That man has/d a jaw of iron and hands of stone. It's nuts.

I can still hear the announcer after every round saying.... "clearly that was a better round for LaMotta"... even though I was kicking his ass on paper, he was turning me into ground beef in execution. Hard times. Sad times. So lost. So confused.

That's what manly men cry over.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Aeries' Death on FF7 and when Chrono dies at the end. I alos pretty sad in KOTOR II for the same reason as The Kraig(What a cop out of an ending)

Legend of Kartia - Female ending. Where she uses the Kartia of Nothingness to stop all of her friends from dying, sacrificing herself. The friends reactions when they see her vanishing is tear-worthy. Then to add a little more salt to the teardrop, her dad flies in and uses the Kartia of Life to revive her and kill himself. Ahh, I loved that game.

FF9 - Near the end of disc 3 when Zidane goes on his brief badass streak only to be stopped by Garnet.

RE: Code Veronica - After the Steve battle, where he overcomes his madness and saves Claire from the tentacle.

Legend of Dragoon - End of Disc 1, where King Albert dies.

FF7 - Where you find out Cloud has lied about his whole life, to his friends and to himself. The Aeris bit goes without saying.

Breath of Fire 3 - After Balio and Sunder destroy you leaving little Ryu by himself.

FFX - When Tidus finds out Yuna will die after the final summoning.

FF8 - Finding out the true reason why Squall likes to be alone.

I can't even play Kingdom Hearts anymore, the music alone starts to make me cry. Not because the game is overly sad(it is sad in spots, but not overly sad), but it's mainly because of the fact my ex-girlfriend made me buy the game. Had a blast with it, we both played it together and would hold each other during the menu song(the piano one.) Needless to say everytime I hear that song I automatically wish for those days and mourn. Yeah, I'm a pussy, I accept it.