Madden 2006

Toe

i personaly dislike american football a lot, but the superstar mode kinda got me interested in testing it, but i read on varius ocasions that it is very sloppy coded (wich i could imagin sinc it is EA whom i dislike aswell...)

how much playtime is superstar mode worth untill it gets anyoing becaus of the coding ? (like the passing wich seems to piss many of you of pritty fast)

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can this said diary continue when the idiot said he snapped his disc?

Edit - Er...Maybe your talking about the EWR diary.

If thats the case...Way to take it to a totally different subject (Y)

Edited by Cole

I wouldn't say Superstar Mode is badly coded, just badly executed. I'd like to have seen something incorporated similar to the Cribs thing in the ESPN game, where you buy new stuff for your apartment and the like. It's not bad for a first effort, but I expect a massive improvement for the next edition, like only playing as your guy (it's pointless having the honus on your one guy and then playing the games as the whole team). It'd be better if it were done like Libero Grande (think that's the right name). Minigames and stuff to improve yourself would be cool too. And no draftee should come out starting with anything over 80 as a rating, every college player needs to get used to the pro game. Let them go through training campo to get the desired ratings.

Well I am not saying that they should change Superstar Mode completly, but just add the option to simulate the rest of the game until your turn to play came. Like some sort of situation mode. That way the game would be more realistic and casual, you dont need to play or watch the whole game, you could be taken to a simulation screen of the game and then when your turn to play comes you are taken to the field for the play.

That was the idea I had of superstar mode when I first heard of it. Right now I am sticking to Franchise Mode because Superstar Mode doesnt cut it for me....it's just like another Franchise mode with less control over the team and a created player thrown in. I am not saying it completly sucks because some people like it the way it is, but the majority dont.

My feelings exactly Dragsy. If I am say...a punter or kicker, it is pointless to play the whole game. Should I have to play D if I am a QB or RB?It is pointless and stupid considering that you are allowed to sub yourself in and record huge numbers from the get go.

I think I've said it before in this thread..not sure, but I'll say it again, how much would it SUCK, if you had to wait like..3 years, before you were actually able to play a game as your superstar other then preseason? Thankfully the game gives you the option to change that.

Keyword being, option. You don't HAVE to sub yourself in and record huge numbers..but, for those who want to, they can. If you want to play it 'more realistic' and wait a few years before you're on the starting line up, that's cool..but the fact that the game doesn't make you is not a negative. It's your choice..you can start, or not start, that's a lot better then the game just making you not start.

And to use your example of being a punter or a kicker, if you were not able to play the whole game..umm, wouldn't that be a little boring? Sitting there watching the computer play the whole game against each other..until you have to kick. As I'm sure it'd be sort of hard to 'sim' the game until your next kick, or even if they did..then you'd pretty much end up with a sort of 'Simulation' type game like TEW or something, just with you kicking.

I have a few gripes about Superstar Mode, but hopefully they'll develop something more fleshed out in future Maddens. I'm really glad that they've at least started including this mode.

Here's some of my problems.

Draft Issues- You don't even actually get to be part of the draft at all. It will say that you're drafted as pick number x in the xth round, but if you actually look into it, the game doesn't work this way. For example, I found that while I was pick 10 in the 3rd round of the 2005 nfl draft, there was actually another play who was picked with the same pick. This shouldn't be possible. I know, it's small, but still. Plus, you should be drafted based on how talented your superstar actually is, but this isn't the case. My 95 rated defensive end gets drafted in the 4th round, even though he's like the 4th best defensive end in the NFL and by far the fastest.

Recognition Issues- There's not really enough recognition or rather feedback to warrant playing many seasons. Score 20 touchdowns in one game, and you will see what? Maybe a persona saying you're player of the week if it's the first time, but other than that, you just get your name mentioned in the e-mail that you would be getting anyways documenting that you're player of the week.

Furthermore, I seriously question the madden cover issue. You'd think a player with full popularity and marketability who recorded an nfl record on sacks in a season, and made headlines (implied anyways, since I see like no feedback of what I've done) all around the league would get the cover bid, but nope.

You see almost nothing for winning the superbowl. No congratulations, no celebration, no e-mail even. All you get is a persona, and again, an e-mail with the final score of the superbowl game which you would have gotten anyways.

Contract Issues - I'd like a little more say over my contract, including my rookie contract. I want to be able to hold out, renegotiate, and even be released if my performance isn't good enough.

I wish the money you earned actually had a purpose. It's nice to realize that you're the highest paid player in the NFL, but what purpose is it to choose a higher money offer if you can't use the money for anything?

Lastly and most importantly

Control Issues- I wish it were easier to just control one player throughout the game. You -can- do it, but it requires you to use a second controller to make sure that you can run your routes if you're on offense, and it requires you to either change the settings so the computer is controlling both teams, or let madden call all the plays, and then not hit a button. I wish there was a better way to do it with just one controller, and without having to worry about accidentally hitting a button. Also, I think it would be cool if you could simulate when the other side of the ball (offense if you're playing on the defense, and defense if you're playing on the offense) is on the field.

I do enjoy the mode though. I like that it's fairly random how good your players can be. For example, I've only twice gotten a defensive end with 91 speed (requires a mother who's a track star and a hall of fame DE father), and only once gotten a WR with 99 speed 99 acceleration and 99 agility.

I know I tend to ramble a lot, but this is the only place I get to talk about my views on video games, since I don't know any other gamers irl, and don't talk on any other forums.

I don't believe what I said constitutes a violation of the rules, but I don't want to get into it either. I just think I followed the guidelines of this area correctly.

Either way, I found rosters for ESPN NFL 2K5 that are for the 2006 season, so I'll be playing that.

Edited by Disengager

Well I am not saying that they should change Superstar Mode completly, but just add the option to simulate the rest of the game until your turn to play came. Like some sort of situation mode. That way the game would be more realistic and casual, you dont need to play or watch the whole game, you could be taken to a simulation screen of the game and then when your turn to  play comes you are taken to the field for the play.

Say you're the kicker. What do they do in real life? Watch the game until it's time to kick. So how you can say being able to simulate the game until it's your turn to do something would make it more realistic is beyond me.

Draft Issues- You don't even actually get to be part of the draft at all.  It will say that you're drafted as pick number x in the xth round, but if you actually look into it, the game doesn't work this way.  For example, I found that while I was pick 10 in the 3rd round of the 2005 nfl draft, there was actually another play who was picked with the same pick.  This shouldn't be possible.  I know, it's small, but still.  Plus, you should be drafted based on how talented your superstar actually is, but this isn't the case.  My 95 rated defensive end gets drafted in the 4th round, even though he's like the 4th best defensive end in the NFL and by far the fastest.

That's not the case in real life either. Say the Colts had the number one pick in the draft. Are they going to pick the best QB available, just because he's the most talented? No, they've already got a great quarterback, so they're going to look at drafting someone who plays a different position - a position they need.

alldawson, your reply to my comment was completly stupid. Yes they do watch the game, but we all KNOW that it would be easier to simulate it. I dont understand what this is all about. We just complain about something we dont like and what we think could improve it and people just step foward and bash us like Madden was a perfect game and their was not room for improvement. Hello people, the fact that this game is not as good as it should have been is not the end of the world. I paid $52.99 for this game and I deserve to express my views as much as you all do.

I dont mind watching the game, as a matter of fact, I have a separate franchise in coach mode in which I just choose the plays and watch the sparks fly. I was just wishing for a player lock or the ability to run total control simulation until my player's turn to play came. That's it. Sorryif this sounds like a flame war or someting, that is not my intention, but I hate it when people dont respect our opinions( and I say ours because I am not alone in my comments) because they think their game is perfect or something. It might be perfect for you, that's fine, you enjoy it the way it is and I respect that, but some people wish for improvements and perhaps our voice will be heard. I ENJOY the game as it is, but I am looking foward to something better in 2007. End of debate.

I was not directing my comments specifically to alldawson or anybody else, but to everyone in general. It seems not only here, but anywhere when somebody complains about something in the game the fanboys come out with guns blazing. Once again I apologize if I offended someone with my comments, but I am tired of this.

About the draft issues, I understand alldawson's point and it is partially right. But dont tell me that NO TEAM needed a DE and that's why he slipped to the 4th round....that is unrealistic. I think that EA was using dual marketability for this since according to the GameFaqs forums the only way to be a first round pick is if you are a Heisman winner or NCAA legennd in NCAA 2006, altough I have not confirmed this yet.