WCW 1998

Boulder

I like it so far. The period of WCW around 1996-97 was the era that really got me into wrestling, so by 98 I was really loving it, and I remember this time period so vividly because of that - Goldberg's title reign, nWo Hollywood vs. Wolfpac, etc. Hoping you continue writing as well as you've been.

WCW Thunder

August 6, 1998

Mike Tenay: Greetings, everybody, and welcome to WCW Thunder! I’m Mike Tenay, right beside Bobby “The Brain” Heenan. Before we get started, folks, a brief announcement. As you know, Stevie Ray had been defending the WCW Television Title for Booker T as of late, as Booker is out with a knee injury. Well, the WCW Executive Committee has determined that this is, in fact, unacceptable. The TV Title has been vacated, and tonight, we will see the start of a tournament for the belt which will conclude at Road Wild!

Bobby Heenan: Take a breath, Tenay!

Mike Tenay: There’s barely time, Brain! Here’s the first match of the tournament!

Eddie Guerrero versus The British Bulldog

Eddie Guerrero was frustrated early on by the strength of Davey Boy Smith, so he decided to use his edge in quickness to his advantage. Guerrero scored several quick rollups on the mat, but was unable to keep the Bulldog down for the three. Eddie went for a hurricanrana, but Bulldog was able to powerbomb him, then score a kneedrop for two. The British Bulldog followed up with a hanging vertical suplex, but Guerrero had the presence of mind to roll out of the ring. Bulldog went out after him, but caught a low blow for his trouble. Eddie rolled back in and got to his feet as Smith did the same. Eddie dropkicked the Bulldog, then lifted him to his feet. Eddie grabbed Smith’s head, went to the top turnbuckle, and gave him a Tornado DDT. Finally, Eddie climbed back up top, then came off with a Frog Splash for the win.

Overall: 83%

Crowd: 75%

Match: 91%

Time: 14:21

Mike Tenay: Eddie Guerrero advances to the semifinals of the Television Title tournament at Road Wild! But who will he face?

Bobby Heenan: Settle down, Tenay. It doesn’t really matter, Guerrero’s my pick to take the title!

Mike Tenay: Might not be a bad selection, Brain. In any event, later tonight, Dean Malenko will face Kanyon, with the winner meeting Guerrero at Road Wild. And right now, Gene Okerlund is standing backstage with Kevin Nash.

Unwavering

Kevin Nash is standing backstage with Gene Okerlund.

Gene Okerlund: Kevin Nash, on Monday night, Scott Hall orchestrated a beating on your two Wolfpac comrades, Sting and Konnan. Has he gotten your attention?

Kevin Nash: You know, Gene, Hall had my attention from day one. But attacking my friends? That takes things to a different level. I’ve been thinking since Nitro, and I’ve reached a conclusion. I… I can’t raise my hands against my brother. I love Scotty, and I know he’ll get over this. Sting and Konnan are more than able to protect themselves. If it’s a matter of support, it’s no contest, man, I’m running with the ‘Pac. But… I can’t get in there with Scott Hall. I’m washing my hands of this situation, man. That’s it.

Nash walks away, leaving Gene by himself.

Overall: 85%

Mike Tenay: Wow, Kevin Nash is a man in a very difficult position these days!

Bobby Heenan: But the Wolfpac, Mike! How can they let Nash sit on the sidelines?

Mike Tenay: I’m sure they’ll be as understanding as the situation allows, Brain.

K-Dogg’s Mission

The Wolfpac music hits. The fans erupt as Konnan enters the arena with a microphone.

Mike Tenay: Well, maybe we’ll get a perspective on that right now! By the way, fans, there was no time to mention it earlier, but Konnan will have quite an opportunity tonight- he takes on Bret Hart for the WCW United States Championship!

Konnan: Odelay! Arriba la raza! K-Dogg in the house, representin’ the ‘Pac! Yo, I got a few things I need to get off my chest. Two guys in particular I need to open up about. First of all, Bret Hart. Tonight, whether you knew it or not, I’m gonna be goin’ one on one with the Hitman for the U.S. Title! I held that belt before, and lo dese otra vez- I want it again! Bret, I respect you, maybe more than any other guy in this business. But with what you’ve been up to lately, I see you ain’t nothin’ more than a Black and White goon! Get your head out of Hollywood’s culo!

But trust me, Bret Hart ain’t my main beef- I got a bigger problem with that salad tosser Scott Hall! Nash don’t wanna deal with Hall, that’s cool by me. But if Hall’s gonna take the trouble to the rest of the Wolfpac, we’re gonna dish it back! Hall, me and Sting ain’t through with you and The Giant! You start something with the Wolfpac, it lasts FOREVER!

Overall: 73%

Bobby Heenan: Well, I think we may just know where Konnan stands now, eh, Mike?

Mike Tenay: There’s no doubt as to Konnan’s position on the Nash-Hall issue- he supports Nash, but he’ll take it to Hall himself if need be!

Chavo Guerrero, Jr. versus Disco Inferno

Disco overpowered Chavo in the opening minutes, then took to slapping Chavo’s buzz-cut head. Chavo kept his cool and nailed Disco with a dropkick for two. Chavo tried to keep Disco on the mat, but eventually, Disco got to his feet, clotheslined Chavo, and nailed him with a piledriver. Disco nearly pinned Chavo afterwards, but Guerrero was able to kick out. The pace of the match picked up, with Disco finally attempting a Chartbuster. However, Chavo shoved him off, then scored a quick cradle for the win.

Overall: 70%

Crowd: 61%

Match: 80%

Time: 7:33

Bobby Heenan: I don’t believe this! I’m guessing Disco just got blinded by the glare from Chavo's head.

Mike Tenay: He’s got some fuzz going on, Brain.

Coming Soon…

The screen goes black. An image of a ring surrounded by a huge cage can be seen for a moment, but then the screen goes black again. When the image returns, we see four men battling inside this ring. The screen goes black yet again. Once again, the image returns. This time, it lasts for several seconds, and can be seen to be a video. The video is a clip of the main event of Halloween Havoc 1989- Ric Flair and Sting versus The Great Muta and Terry Funk. At this particular point, Muta is annihilating the competition. He nails several kicks to the head of Sting, and the screen goes black again. White lines appear, forming the pattern of Muta’s face paint on the black screen. Finally, the white lines disappear, and, in white, words appear. They spell out “The Great Muta- Coming Soon”.

Overall: 82%

Mike Tenay: That’s right, Muta is on his way back to WCW!

Bobby Heenan: He’s been tearing up Japan like nobody’s business since he was here last time; there’s no telling what he’ll do in WCW!

Mike Tenay: That’ll be something to see! And speaking of something to see, we’ve got the next match in our TV Title tournament up right now!

Dean Malenko versus Kanyon

Those expecting Malenko to easily outwrestle Kanyon may have been surprised; though Malenko was able to wrap Kanyon up in some very crisp holds, Kanyon seemed to have an unorthodox counter for each and every one. Malenko ended up cinching in a hammerlock, but Kanyon turned, hooked his head under the Iceman’s arm, and delivered a Northern Lights Suplex. Kanyon held on, rolled over, lifted Malenko up, and administered a second Northern Lights Suplex. Kanyon went for a third, but Malenko wrapped his legs around Kanyon and squeezed his head- a guillotine chokehold. Kanyon managed to get to the ropes, and the match continued. Kanyon’s hard hitting offense kept him in contention, but finally, after a spinning heel kick and a Russian Legsweep, Malenko took the opportunity to apply the Texas Cloverleaf. Kanyon tried to reach the ropes, but was simply too far away. He soon tapped out, giving Malenko the win.

Overall: 71%

Crowd: 65%

Match: 78%

Time: 10:02

Mike Tenay: Guerrero versus Malenko at Road Wild! That’ll be something to see!

Bobby Heenan: You’d better believe it! Neither guy has ever held that TV Title, and they both want it, Tenay!

Mike Tenay: Undoubtedly. Fans, earlier tonight we heard from Konnan. Now, Gene Okerlund is standing backstage with Bret Hart. Gene?

Impending Execution

Bret Hart is standing backstage with Gene Okerlund.

Gene Okerlund: Thank you, Mike. Bret Hart, earlier tonight, your opponent, Konnan, referred to you as a “Black and White goon.” What is your response to that?

Bret Hart: Gene, if I recall correctly, it wasn’t too long ago that Konnan was wearing the black and white himself. I guess he couldn’t cut it, though. Konnan, you may be a former U.S. Champion, but you didn’t win the belt from me, and you won’t win it from me tonight. A goon? How about the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be? And if you don’t believe that, I’ll just have to show you firsthand.

Overall: 77%

Bobby Heenan: See? “The Hitman” isn’t intimidated, certainly not by words!

Mike Tenay: Well, you’re right about that, Brain, but now comes Konnan’s opportunity to prove himself!

WCW United States Championship Match: Bret Hart © versus Konnan

Bret dominated in the early goings, taking Konnan to the mat and grapevining his legs around the head of the Wolfpac member. Bret kept Konnan down and worked on his legs and lower back with a series of stomps and knees. Bret lifted Konnan to his feet, then took him down with a backbreaker. Bret jawed at the crowd while Konnan regain his bearings, then whipped K-Dogg. However, Konnan came back with a rolling clothesline, taking the Hitman to the match. Konnan took the offensive for a little while, but when he went for the 187, Bret reversed into a cradle for two. Both men popped up, and Konnan threw a punch, but Bret ducked and nailed a Russian Legsweep. With lightning-quick speed, Bret strapped on the Sharpshooter, forcing Konnan to tap out. After the match ended, Scott Hall came out to the ring. He gave Konnan a Fallaway Slam, then ran out through the crowd.

Overall: 80%

Crowd: 81%

Match: 81%

Time: 11:21

Mike Tenay: Bret Hart wins and Hall strikes again! How much more of this can the Wolfpac take?

Bobby Heenan: Until they can stand united, they just have to take it!

Mike Tenay: There must be something they can do!

Bobby Heenan: Buy stock in Band-Aid?

Overall: 77%

Edited by Boulder

I remember the backstory from DiarySlam. I knew it seemed familiar.

Still, nice to see that it isn't the same diary. It's very well done this time around, and the commentary is great. The match results are definitely well-written.

Keep it up.

Guest Justin Chain

I'm rooting for Malenko to take it, even though I would have preferred the Bulldog to be the one walking away with the title. Once again, great stuff. Keep up the good work!

When I saw you were doing a new diary, I had to check it out! I loved your old WWE one, and I'm glad to see that this one is looking to be as good. I want to see Dean Malenko win the strap, but that's just me...

WCW Saturday Night

August 8, 1998

Mike Tenay: Welcome back to another exciting episode of WCW Saturday Night, only on TBS! This is Mike Tenay, and here’s my partner, “The American Dream” Dusty Rhodes!

Dusty Rhodes: Right you are, Mike, and check out this big ol’ show we got goin’ down: Saturn will be taking on Kidman, and the whole Flock is in the house! Plus, the big man, The Giant, he’s gonna be in action, Mike!

Mike Tenay: He certainly will be, Dusty! But first, we’ve got Tokyo Magnum versus Psicosis!

Tokyo Magnum versus Psicosis

Unsurprisingly, Tokyo Magnum showcased a few dance moves before taking a dropkick from Psicosis. This gave the masked man an early advantage, as he scored a hiptoss, bodyslam, and several other preliminary moves en route to scoring a two count off of a DDT. Magnum regained his composure and managed to slow things down, grounding Psicosis and getting several near-falls off of rollups. The intensity of the match increased as Psicosis hit a jawbreaker, then went to the top rope. He dove off with a crossbody, but Magnum ducked, and quickly went for the Hustle Driver. He hit his finishing move, and the three count followed.

Overall: 65%

Crowd: 50%

Match: 96%

Time: 8:22

Dusty Rhodes: Another win, Mike, for the impressive and fah-lamma-boyant Tokyo Magnum!

Mike Tenay: Absolutely, and remember, at any time, Magnum could pose a threat to the Cruiserweight Title, or he and Disco could make a run for the World Tag Team Titles. On another note, Gene Okerlund spoke with Kanyon earlier today. Kanyon made some interesting comments regarding The Flock, Saturn, and Rick Steiner, his opponent for tonight.

The World According to Kanyon

Kanyon is standing backstage with Gene Okerlund.

Gene Okerlund: Kanyon, tonight-

Kanyon: Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold up, Gene. Let me ask you something. Who’s better than Kanyon?

Gene Okerlund: Excuse me?

Kanyon: Who’s better than Kanyon, Gene?

Gene Okerlund: Well… I don’t know… after tonight, we may be saying Rick Steiner!

Kanyon: Wrong! The correct answer is “nobody.” Nobody’s better than Kanyon! And let me tell you something else, Gene. Nobody’s better than The Flock! Well, hehe, that’s not entirely true… Perry Saturn’s nobody, and he sure ain’t better than The Flock! Hahaha! He can keep trying to get his hands dirty with me, Kidman, and Raven, but he’s gonna keep coming up short! And tonight, we got a surprise for him!

Gene Okerlund: Well, what about your match with Rick Steiner? Don’t forget about that!

Kanyon: Do your homework, Gene. Then maybe you’d know who you were talking to! Steiner’s a peon, just a scrub who drew a bad hand and got Kanyon tonight. That doesn’t mean I’m gonna take it easy on him, though! He’s gonna get big time busted up!

Overall: 64%

Dusty Rhodes: Well, well, some big time talk from Kanyon. Let’s see if he can back up what he’s sayin’!

Kanyon versus Rick Steiner

Once again, Rick Steiner wheeled a somewhat uneasy Buff Bagwell down to the ring with him. Kanyon left the ring to go after Bagwell and Steiner, but this proved to be a mistake, as an angered Rick Steiner threw Kanyon into the guardrail, then tossed him in the ring and brutalized him. Kanyon hit a DDT and a few suplexes, but was never able to keep the advantage for long. After numerous slams and Steinerlines, the Dog-Faced Gremlin went up top and nailed Kanyon with the Steiner Bulldog, then pinned him.

Overall: 59%

Crowd: 67%

Match: 66%

Time: 7:01

Mike Tenay: Well, not only did Kanyon run his mouth, but it appeared that he was threatening the safety of Buff Bagwell, as well! There’s no way Rick Steiner was going to stand for that!

Dusty Rhodes: The state-a-mind Rick Steiner’s in now, he’s gonna see his own back broke before he lets anybody lay a finger on Bagwell!

Mike Tenay: Those are his intentions, but one has to wonder if he’s really going about this the right way.

A Giant Workout

A close-up of The Giant is shown. He is curling a bar, but the ends can’t be seen. The camera zooms out, and chained to each end of the bar is a small car engine. Suddenly, there’s a knock at the door. A stagehand pokes his head in.

Stagehand: You’re on now.

The Giant puts down the bar and heads out the door.

Overall: 79%

Dusty Rhodes: Car engines, Mike! Car engines! The Giant is liftin’ car engines!

Mike Tenay: By this point, we shouldn’t even be surprised by the strength shown by The Giant, but it is just so impressive that… how can you not be surprised? And not only that, but he’s wrestling now, too! Let’s go to the ring!

The Giant versus Mike Enos

The Giant and Mike Enos locked up as the bell rang, with The Giant easily shoving Enos down. Enos got to his feet and charged at The Giant, but caught a big boot for his trouble. The Giant lifted Enos up, whipped him to the ropes, caught him around the throat as he came back, and Chokeslammed him with all of his might. The pinfall was merely a formality.

Overall: 53%

Crowd: 44%

Match: 74%

Time: 0:58

Mike Tenay: Wow, pure dominance from The Giant! He’s an unstoppable force!

Strong Words From a Strong Man

The Giant is walking backstage in the direction of his locker room. Gene Okerlund runs over to him with a microphone.

Gene Okerlund: Giant… Giant… what about-

The Giant grabs Gene’s hand, and pulls the microphone up to his mouth.

The Giant: What about what? Did you see what I did out there? I don’t care if it’s Mike Enos, Konnan, Sting, or anybody! There’s no one who can hang with me, nobody! Anyone who messes with me or the nWo is gonna find themselves on the business end of a Chokeslam! And that goes for Bill Goldberg, too!

The Giant turns and walks away.

Overall: 82

Dusty Rhodes: I don’t care who I am! Even if I’m Goldberg, I’m payin’ attention to what The Giant is sayin’!

Mike Tenay: The Giant is a fearsome force, and he seems to be angrier than usual! All of WCW should watch their backs, and the nWo Hollywood should be grateful that they’ve got the big man on their side!

Perry Saturn versus Kidman

Perry Saturn took an early advantage with a series of clotheslines and forearms. However, Kidman dodged one, and landed a dropkick. The Flock member followed up with a single-arm DDT and a bulldog, but only got two. Saturn answered with some, shoot-style throws and takedowns, eventually working his way up to full-fledged suplexes. Kidman showed flurries of offense, but Saturn stayed in control until he finished the match with the Death Valley Driver. As soon as he got the three count, though, Raven ran down to the ring. Raven and Saturn went toe to toe, but once Kidman recovered, the numbers were too much for Saturn, and he fell prey to the two Flock members.

Overall: 63%

Crowd: 58%

Match: 83%

Time: 11:02

Mike Tenay: Saturn wins fair and square, but once again, The Flock gets the upper hand!

Outnumbered

Raven and Kidman continue beating up on Saturn. Kidman lifts him to his feet, and Raven nails him with the Evenflow DDT. While Kidman continues the beating, Raven gets a microphone.

Raven: We are told to be careful what we wish for, Perry. If that’s the case, then he who is most desirous should conduct himself with the most caution. Saturn, for so very long, you have dreamed the dreams of the mad and foolish. You have wanted nothing more than to destroy me and my Flock. Well, Saturn, listen now and learn well. At Road Wild, your wish comes true. You can get your hands on The Flock… because you will take on Kidman and Kanyon in a handicap match. You asked for it, Perry. Let your mind suffer before your body does. Quote the Raven, nevermore!

Overall: 89%

Dusty Rhodes: Handicap match? Now I just don’t believe this! How is Saturn gonna handle this?

Mike Tenay: That diabolical Raven, always one step ahead… I don’t know, Dusty, but things are not in his favor!

Overall: 71%

Edited by Boulder

WCW Newsreel

August 10, 1998

Hello, folks.  This is Bingo Boulder, back for week number two of all of the insider news you fans can handle.  As with last week, there are plenty of stories and rumors just waiting to get out, and I suppose that makes me the gatekeeper.  Therefore, it’s my job to alleviate those Monday morning blues.  Let’s go!

British Bulldog Suspended

Over the weekend, “The British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith was a guest (via telephone) on popular UK radio show “An Evening with Arthur Field.”  During his interview, Smith made a number of incendiary comments towards WCW policy, management, and wrestlers (past and present).  In light of these actions, the WCW Executive Committee has seen fit to suspend Smith without pay until September 1st.

Counting on Muta

Sources tell me that several members of nWo Hollywood are already assuming that The Great Muta, a former member of nWo Japan, will be fast to show his allegiance to the Black and White.  However, other sources are telling me that the nWo may be counting their chickens before they hatch.  Will Muta be a part of WCW?  Will he join the Wolfpac?  The answers to these questions remain unknown.  However, what is verified is that Muta’s membership in nWo Hollywood is not the lock some believe it to be.

DDP’s Crosshairs

I’ve learned that while DDP has been having a great time enlisting the help of his celebrity friends in order to make Hollywood Hogan’s life as difficult as possible, what he really wants is a singles match with the leader of the nWo Black and White.  In fact, Page was overheard at a recent house show telling a co-worker that “if they give [him] Hogan, one-on-one, with no interference, [he’ll] be on top, once and for all.”  Will Page’s request be granted?  If I had to indicate a response with a non-verbal gesture, I’d nod.

-WCWwrestling.com

Awesome little diary you got going here Boulder.

I love your use of Raven and the Flock.

I am also hoping for Malenko to take the TV Title.

Looking forward to the next show, and the PPV.

• 2 weeks later...

WCW Monday Nitro

August 10, 1998

Tony Schiavone: Welcome, fans! We are thirteen days out from Road Wild, and tonight should be a huge night! This is Tony Schiavone, and with me as usual is Bobby “The Brain” Heenan. Brain, will thirteen be an unlucky number tonight?

Bobby Heenan: For you, if you want.

Tony Schiavone: We’ve got Bret Hart defending the U.S. Title against Rey Mysterio, Jr.- an interesting matchup if ever there was one, and we’ve got the other two opening round matches in the Television Title tournament. In fact, the first one is right now!

Bobby Heenan: Smooth, Schiavone.

Tony Schiavone: Thank you, Brain. Perry Saturn will be taking on Disco Inferno, fans, and if you remember, Saturn already has a match at Road Wild! He could be wrestling two, even three matches on that night!

Disco Inferno versus Perry Saturn

Former TV Champion Disco Inferno came into the match as cocky as could be. However, the fighting skill of Perry Saturn, a former champion himself, soon proved to Disco that he needed to take things seriously. For all of his strutting and wiggling, Disco used a clever offensive pattern on Saturn, working on the larger man’s once-injured knee with leglocks and strikes. Saturn had difficulty suplexing Disco with his weakened leg, but managed to gain the upper hand with a clothesline from the top turnbuckle. Saturn followed up with a charging shoulder, but Disco ducked and referee Mickey Jay was hit. At that point, Raven ran out from backstage, and nailed a surprised Saturn with an Evenflow DDT. Disco went up to the second turnbuckle, nailed the Village People’s Elbow, and covered Saturn. Mickey Jay regained consciousness in time to make the three count.

Crowd: 68%

Match: 91%

Time: 10:02

Bobby Heenan: Well, at least he won’t have a busy night.

Tony Schiavone: You know, Brain, part of me would think that Raven would want Saturn to have to focus on more than one match at the Pay-Per-View. It would ruin his concentration on his match against the Flock. But I think that Raven hates Saturn so much, that he wants to erase any possibility of success from his former partner’s horizon!

Bobby Heenan: Thank you very much, Sigmund Void.

Insurance Policy

The camera cuts to the nWo locker room. Bret Hart is sitting on a bench, lacing up his boots, when the door can be heard opening. Bret looks up.

Bret Hart: Hey, man, how’s it going?

Hollywood Hogan walks in and sits down next to Bret.

Hollywood Hogan: Not bad, brother. Not bad. Listen, there’s something I gotta ask you.

Bret Hart: Shoot.

Hollywood Hogan: I got Page on my back, you know that. And you also know that when it comes to slippery little pieces of garbage, Page is about the absolute slipperiest. That hunk of trash will show up out of nowhere to put the sucker punch down on yours truly.

Bret Hart: I hear ya.

Hollywood Hogan: That’s why I need to even the score. With the Black and White comes much responsibility, brother. I need you to have my back.

Bret Hart: No problem, man.

Hogan slaps Bret on the back.

Hollywood Hogan: I appreciate it, dude. You’re my right-hand man.

Bret seems somewhat disturbed, but forces a smile. Hogan nods, gets up, and leaves.

Overall: 80%

Tony Schiavone: That Hogan’s always got one scheme after another up his sleeve!

The Giant versus Konnan

Konnan used his speed to keep away from The Giant, as he would jump in to deliver a quick blow and then immediately spring back. This did not work for long, though, as The Giant managed to catch Konnan with a strong forearm, then a kneedrop. The Giant whipped Konnan, then delivered a big boot as he came running back. At that point, it was time for the Chokeslam, which led into the three count.

Crowd: 82%

Match: 75%

Time: 2:21

Tony Schiavone: The Giant is picking up a microphone! What’s he going to say?

Bobby Heenan: How about we shut up and find out?

The Giant: Guess what, Konnan- you and your good buddy Sting, you just got a lethal favor granted! At Road Wild, the two of you are gonna get to take on me and Scott Hall for the World Tag Team Titles! Please, boys, bring everything you got!

Tony Schiavone: A match at Road Wild! Wait- The Giant is lifting Konnan up! Another Chokeslam!

Bobby Heenan: I’ll say it right now, Schiavone: The Giant is unbeatable!

Unexpected Encounter

Tony Schiavone: Well, here we go, from the largest man in WCW, to the man with the largest ego in WCW! Cruiserweight Champion Chris Jericho is in the ring!

Chris Jericho: It’s Lionheart time once again, friends and foes! And as you all know- all of you, that’s right, each and every one of you- yeah, especially you right there, chunky- as you all know, I practice what I preach, and I back up my smack up. I ripped the knee right off that little midget Mysterio, and beat Stinko Malenko over and over and over and over and over and over again, baby! So what’s left for the greatest Cruiserweight Champion in WCW history? I can kick up my feet and sip iced tea by my pool, but I spent all weekend doing that… during the day, at least. Besides, if I didn’t show up here, I wouldn’t truly be the paragon of virtue, would I?

Tony Schiavone: Wait, what’s happening? The crowd is starting to go wild!

Bobby Heenan: Up on the turnbuckle, Schiavone! That’s Psicosis perched there!

Chris Jericho: Right… that’s right, give it up, everyone! That’s why-

Tony Schiavone: Missile Dropkick by Psicosis, right as Jericho turned around! Psicosis caught Jericho in that big open yap!

Bobby Heenan: I think Jericho’s got a boot print on his tongue, Schiavone!

Tony Schiavone: Jericho’s been knocked out of the ring, and Psicosis is holding up the Cruiserweight Title! Jericho may have indirectly found his next challenger! Referees and road agents are out here, getting things straightened out.

Bobby Heenan: And not a moment too soon, either. Rejects.

Overall: 82%

Tony Schiavone: Well, from a cruiserweight attack, to a match feature two top cruiserweights. Let’s go to the ring!

Eddie Guerrero versus Juventud Guerrera

Eddie started off slowly, trying to make Juventud expend most of his energy with acrobatic counters and maneuvers. At around the three-minute mark, Guerrero sprung into action, decimating Juvi with suplexes and eventually, a DDT. However, he was unable to put his smaller opponent away. Juventud scored several desperation moves and a very long count off of a Juvi Driver, but in the end, Eddie punctuated a small package press with a handful of tights, getting the three count.

Overall: 81%

Crowd: 72%

Match: 90%

Time: 11:45

Tony Schiavone: Wrong? Yes. Suprising? No.

Bobby Heenan: Guerreros will be Guerreros, Tony.

Tony Schiavone: Right you are, Brain, and if I were Dean Malenko, I’d be scouting Guerrero and watching tapes of his matches- not just to get used to Guerrero’s moves, but to recognize his cheating tactics.

Bobby Heenan: Yeah, Schiavone, but if you were Dean Malenko, you’d also be able to do a sit-up.

WCW World Heavyweight Championship Match: Goldberg © versus Curt Hennig

The nWo member made use of his technical ability to try and keep Goldberg on the mat, but the World Heavyweight Champion was simply too strong. He pushed Hennig away, and then went back to playing his strength advantage. After being taken down a few times, Hennig hit a dropkick, but was unable to send Goldberg to the mat. Finally, Goldberg pulled out the Spear, and followed up with the Jackhammer for the win.

Overall: 78%

Crowd: 72%

Match: 82%

Time: 3:49

Bobby Heenan: “Da Man” is 110 and 0! WCW sets ‘em up, and Goldberg knocks ‘em down!

Guerrilla Warfare

When the commercial ends, a corridor backstage is shown. Goldberg walks down the corridor and stops in front of his locker room door. He tries to open it up, but it’s locked.

Goldberg: Dammit! Who the hell did this?

Goldberg goes back to working the knob, but suddenly, Scott Steiner charges in with a steel chair and smashes it on the head of the champion. Goldberg goes down to a knee, and two follow-up shots from Steiner send him to the floor.

Scott Steiner: The streak is on its last legs, you stupid son of a bitch!

Steiner tosses the chair to the floor and walks away.

Tony Schiavone: Have you ever seen something like that happen to Goldberg? Steiner is unquestionably the most volatile personality in all of WCW!

Bobby Heenan: Let me tell you this, Tony- if Goldberg can be beaten, Scott Steiner is the man to do it!

Tony Schiavone: He could very well prove to be Goldberg’s most vicious opponent yet. Well, folks, we go from World Titles to Television Titles, as the final first-round match in our TV Title tournament takes place right now!

Chris Benoit versus Mike Enos

Benoit and Enos went hold for hold, trading armlocks, leglocks, and headlocks for the first several minutes. It wasn’t until Enos got frustrated and began to throw punches that Benoit really got a chance to shine. He took Enos down with a hard back suplex, then lifted him up and delivered a German Suplex. Enos rebounded and took Benoit down with a clothesline. He attempted a Piledriver, but Benoit backdropped his way out of it. It wasn’t long before Benoit slapped on the Crippler Crossface, and Enos had to submit.

Overall: 62%

Crowd: 45%

Match: 80%

Time: 9:32

Tony Schiavone: So Chris Benoit will take on Disco Inferno at Road Wild, and the winner of that match will wrestle the winner of the Guerrero-Malenko match for the TV Title!

Bobby Heenan: Four top athletes, Tony! Whoever wins, the TV Title is in good hands.

Tony Schiavone: Undoubtedly, any of those men would make a fine champion. On a separate note, over the weekend our own Mike Tenay sat down with Diamond Dallas Page for an interview. Let’s show that interview.

Ready to Go

Mike Tenay is sitting in a nicely furnished room with Diamond Dallas Page.

Mike Tenay: First of all, Diamond Dallas Page, thank you very much for granting me this interview, and thank you for having me in your lovely home.

Diamond Dallas Page: No problem, Mike.

Mike Tenay: I’ll get right to the point. How confident are you feeling about the Road Wild match?

Diamond Dallas Page: Totally, fully, 110% confident, Mike. I know Hollywood Scum Hogan so well, that there’s no way he can get one past me. And as for that little weasel runt Bischoff, I hope- I beg- that he lays a finger on me, because that means he’ll be close enough for me to tear into him.

Mike Tenay: What about Jay Leno? Is he prepared?

Diamond Dallas Page: Mike, there’s nothing I can say that’ll change the way some people are lookin’ at this situation. But the fact is, Jay is fired up and ready to go. Is he a pro athlete? No, of course not. But trust your old pal DDP- Jay is gonna surprise a lot of people at Road Wild, and the first two are gonna be Hogan and Page.

Mike Tenay: How is Jay’s Diamond Cutter? As good as Karl Malone’s?

Diamond Dallas Page: Heh heh, just below Malone’s, we’ll say.

Mike Tenay: Finally, what is next for Diamond Dallas Page?

Diamond Dallas Page: Well, for my own sake, I’m gonna finish this thing with Hogan. After that… I’m thinking about the World Heavyweight Championship.

Mike Tenay: Thank you very much, Page, and good luck in the future.

Diamond Dallas Page: Thank you, Mike.

Bobby Heenan: Hmmph! Whatever happened to being unbiased?

Tony Schiavone: What do you mean?

Bobby Heenan: Tenay was drooling all over Page!

Tony Schiavone: Oh, please!

A Show of Support

Rey Mysterio, Jr. is sitting on a bench in the locker room. Konnan comes over and sits down next to him.

Konnan: Odelay, Rey.

Rey Mysterio, Jr.: Hey, K-Dogg.

Konnan: Listen, man, I gotta have a word with you.

Rey Mysterio, Jr.: Here I am, anything you got to say, go for it.

Konnan: Gracias, amigo. Rey, you and I have been runnin’ together for years now- WCW, Mexico, you know it.

Rey Mysterio, Jr.: You’re right, man.

Konnan: What I gotta say, Rey, is I know you ain’t part of the ‘Pac, but I had to reach out to you. Good luck, man, and if you want me out there with you, you got it.

Rey Mysterio, Jr.: I gotta do this on my own, man. I appreciate it, but I’m gonna go out there and win or lose on my own.

Konnan: Mucho amor, Rey. You’re a man and a half.

Konnan gets up, pats Rey on the shoulder, and leaves the locker room.

Overall: 81%

Tony Schiavone: What integrity! Rey wants to go out and win the biggest match of his career all by himself!

Bobby Heenan: Hi, this is Rey Mysterio, Jr. No, no thanks, I don’t want to win the U.S. Title! Seriously, Schiavone, what could be going through his head?

WCW United States Heavyweight Championship Match: Bret Hart © versus Rey Mysterio, Jr.

Despite his cocky air as he strutted down to the ring, it became clear that “The Hitman” was not taking Mysterio lightly. Hart used tight holds and heavy blows to dominate his much lighter adversary, but Rey held his own with a dropkick and a standing Hurricanrana. Though Bret kept a slight advantage throughout the match, Rey held his own. He scored long two counts off of a spinning heel kick, and later, a springboard dropkick. Finally, Bret gave Rey a Piledriver, but the grueling nature of the match ensured that both men lay on the canvas. While they were down, Hollywood Hogan ran out from the back. He gave Mysterio a Legdrop, drawing the disqualification. Hogan helped Bret to his feet and patted him on the back, but when Bret realized what had happened, he seemed somewhat uneasy.

Overall: 83%

Crowd: 79%

Match: 87%

Time: 18:31

Tony Schiavone: Thanks to Hollywood Hogan, Rey wins the match, but Bret keeps the title!

Bobby Heenan: But look at Bret, Schiavone! He doesn’t seem happy about this at all!

Tony Schiavone: Indeed he doesn’t, Brain!

Edited by Boulder

• 1 year later...