ITV's 50 TV Moments That Shook The World

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Anyone watch this?

Some amazing scenes and footage in there (I tuned in at 36) including groundbreaking footage such as Yuri Gagarin being the first man in space, the horrific Beslan school siege, the Iranian Embassy siege, Concorde crashing from Charles De Gaulle...

But some ranking was pure ITV trash.

You know the world has gone to hell in a handbasket when Jonny Wilkinson kicking the winning drop goal in the Rugby World Cup is rated higher than Mandela being released and becoming South African president and Martin Luther King's "I have a dream speech", and also higher than the shot of the Vietnamese girl running, covered in burns and naked from her village that had been Napalmed.

And then we head into the top ten, where Liverpool winning the Champions League (at 9) finished higher than the fall of the Berlin Wall (the symbolic and physical Iron Curtain separating the 'democratic' west from the 'communist' east) which finished 10th, and then the Tianaman Square massacre in China (speaking volumes about the power of Chinese Communism) and the images of Famine in Ethiopia (at 8 and 7) finished lower than 'Princess' Diana's death at 6th.

Like I care more about the death of a rich girl than the relatively ignored death of Mother Theresa (same week) who had given her life to loving and caring for those with leprosy and complete poverty in India.

I hate this country sometimes.

So the top five are, in no order so far, England's 1966 Footy World Cup Win, the Boxing Day Tsunami, Man landing on the moon, JFK's assassination and the Twin Towers.

No real surprises there (though I thought ITV viewers would vote Diana number 1)

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

The fact is that Diana's death was rated so high because she was adored by many different people. I'll admit, I was never a fan of hers, but there's no denying how she was considered a "great person" and how it was a huge ass shock to see the way she died.

And Apple Shamp, the way they did things was so that they were split into five categories, which I can't remember, and the winners of those categories made up the top 5. Tianimen Sqaure was up against either JFK's assassination and 9/11, which were both in their own right much more "shocking", and it didn't get higher. It probably should have, but ITV's screwed up voting system sucked.

Shitty Rankings from a shitty channel

9/11 was obviously going to come first (and so it should), so i didn't really see the point in the program

And Apple Shamp, the way they did things was so that they were split into five categories, which I can't remember, and the winners of those categories made up the top 5. Tianimen Sqaure was up against either JFK's assassination and 9/11, which were both in their own right much more "shocking", and it didn't get higher. It probably should have, but ITV's screwed up voting system sucked.

Oh alright, I knew they had categories, but I didn't know that it was one from each. That kind of sucks. With all the things in there, I don't think any sports should've made it really.

Edited by Apple Shampoo

Wasn't Diana cheating on Charley Boy at the same time as he was cheating on her or something? Honestly, Diana seems kind of overrated and we honestly still care about her if she was still alive?

Yep.

And attractive-wise she really wasn't my taste so I never saw what was going on there....

And her voice...And her "Queen Of Hearts" act, and that interview she did with Frost or whoever *shudders*

Yes, it's horrible for her sons and her family that she died, to be left without a mother before you hit twenty is a horrible thing...

So she did lots of charity...GOOD! She should do. She's loaded, with plenty of free time...In fact I'm pretty certain either Mary or Margaret did a helluva lot more charity work than Diana...And it makes me shudder to think about how much the country really got so excited by her...And to see Elton John sing "Candle In The Wind" was horrible

Diana's death should have been nowhere near 6th. Sure it was a big deal back then. Yeah, Mother Teresa was more important than her. Coulda just put this down in the 30s or something more fitting.

Sports events... shit only pertaining to England ... they're not the most shocking events in the world. Why? Cause who cares outside England. Would anyone outside the Americas care about the Red Sox beating the Yankees down 0-3 and then sweeping St. Louis? No.

The Concorde crash. Planes crash all the time? Why is this one any different? I mean, a regional jet crashed into a hangar at Charlotte (NC) airport a couple years ago. A plane with 295 people aboard crashed in a residential neighborhood in Queens. Anyone remember that? Were those that important?

Sports events... shit only pertaining to England ... they're not the most shocking events in the world. Why? Cause who cares outside England. Would anyone outside the Americas care about the Red Sox beating the Yankees down 0-3 and then sweeping St. Louis? No.

The Concorde crash. Planes crash all the time? Why is this one any different? I mean, a regional jet crashed into a hangar at Charlotte (NC) airport a couple years ago. A plane with 295 people aboard crashed in a residential neighborhood in Queens. Anyone remember that? Were those that important?

In a UK based VOTING poll, of course things pertaining to the UK are going to be prevalent.

The difference between the Concorde crash and many of the others is that firstly, its a UK event, and secondly, the Concorde plane/company/whatever has a major history in the aviation field, so for on to just fall out of the sky, or explode, was a big deal, and was one of the major reasons why the downfall of Concorde occurred, amongst other things.

Boo, where's United's super comeback against Munich? :P

Between around 25 and 15 if I remember rightly.

The top sports were England's World Cup Win, Liverpools Euro Cup Win, Man U's Treble, Maradona in '86, Brazil's Team Goal vs Italy, Black Salute in the Olympics....