Tottenham axe six

FLiam

Darren Anderton, Christian Ziege and Gustavo Poyet have all been released by managerless Tottenham Hotspur.

Former England midfielder Anderton has been at the club for 12 years while German wing-back Ziege cost £4.5m from Liverpool in 2001.

Reserve teamers Lars Hirschfeld, Shwan Jalal and Danny Foster have also been released but skipper Jamie Redknapp has been handed a new one-year contract.

Chairman Daniel Levy paid tribute to Anderton after ending the player's 12-year career at White Hart Lane.

"We wish Darren well after no less than 12 years at the Club," he said.

"Gus and Christian have given the supporters much to cheer about during their stay too. We wish them luck for the future."

source: teletext.co.uk

Saw on ITV text but hasn't been mentioned on SSN or skysports website yet.

Na nan na na na na na na hey hey heeey gooodbye!!!!

I see Anderton joining Norwich for some reason.

• Haha 1

Anderton will probally go to either the promoted clubs or join someone like Everton, or any other club that you might expect to see near relegation next season.

Darren Anderton, Christian Ziege, Gustavo Poyet, Lars Hirschfeld, Shwan Jalal and Danny Foster.

Anderton is great, he should have been kept at Spurs til he retired. Stick him on the bench if need be but he's been my favourite Tottenham player for 12 years since I saw his home debut.

Ziege and Poyet are getting too old and it's great to see Spurs getting rid of the old guys who have failed for us this season. Hopefully it will give space for great youngsters like Rohan Ricketts to step up into the big time.

As for Hirschfeld and Jalal, getting rid of 2 keepers?! Hmmm. True they would both have done SOMETHING if they were going to make it big but still...We need to get rid of KELLER! Rob Burch should be first team keeper as he's a really talented goalie.

As for Foster......Meh...

We need to resign Matty Etherington...We can give West Ham another of our rejects ...Like Ziege or something.

Guest OnlyOneKeano

Im back to stick my ore in about anything Footie .

Ziege And Anderton are both wastes of fucking space . two very lazy players . Ive always been a Gus Poyet fan , he gives all his has so sad to see him leave .

Another note on spurs Captain Jamie has been give a new 1 year deal

Guest srfcdp

I'm glad Spurs haven't got rid of Anthony Gardner. He deserves an spot in Euro 2004 - there again maybe I'm biased because he went to my school and is a friend of my uncle :P

• Admin

I'm glad Spurs haven't got rid of Anthony Gardner. He deserves an spot in Euro 2004 - there again maybe I'm biased because he went to my school and is a friend of my uncle 

No Spurs defender deserves a place in Euro 2004 - they've all been atrocious all season. It's even made me feel sorry for my Spurs supporting friends (which takes some doing).

Edited by Rabid Wolverine

Tottenham have needed to clear out all the crap for a long time. Letting the bigger names go should give them more financial clout too with wages and all.

I've never understood why clubs are always falling over themselves to sign players like Anderton and Redknapp when they have big (or more than modest) wages and have played about 10 games between them all year.

What twat made the decision to get rid of Anderton? He's a crowd favourite, and the supporters are going to be mighty pissed off me thinks.

...wait...that's a good thing! :D

Oh well, Tottenham next season should be a fun thing.