Best Political Songs

tristy

Yeah, I think the topic title says it all.

I think, although the lyrics aren't magnificent, Ministry's No 'W' is pretty cool. The George Bush quotes at the beginning and the end of the song are funny.

I can't think of anymore right now, to be honest. Maybe more will come to me in time.

I'm rather fond of Against Me! - "Baby I'm An Anarchist" at the moment, but my all time favourite political song is probably "Sing If You're Glad To Be Gay" by the Tom Robinson Band, closely followed by "Power In The Darkness" by the same band, closely followed by most of The Clash's back catalogue.

Get a list of every Bad Religion song. Close your eyes and drop your finger on the page. You'll probably find a good one under your finger. Theres a song from the average "No Substance" album called "The State Of The End Of The Millenium Address" which is essentially Greg Graffin simply talks over the top of a simple riff which is nicely written.

I do have to say that I love "ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayitsworldwouldfallapart" by the Manic Street Preachers as a very good anti-America/anti-racist/anti gun song though. Not that the Manics don't have a nice collection of political songs to go with it.

Other than that, Refused, International Noise Conspriacy, Dead Kennedys and even Jello Biafras post-DK material are all ripe for good political songs. Anti-Flag to be honest have to be one of the worst political bands I have ever heard. Their music is catchy, but the lyrics are fucking awful.

Elvis Costello - "(What's So Funny Bout) Peace Love and Understanding or Depeche Mode - People Are People

And yes, I do know that APC covered both of these, but meh, I'm not much for political songs, so I went for the only couple of songs I backtracked from that album.

Metallica's Disposable Heroes or Immortal Technique's Bin Laden (although, admittedly, IT and company are paranoid conspiracy theorists.)

I don't listen to much, although I probably agree with the Dylan songs listed. The most I listen to in political music is Bad Religion and Anti-Flag. I can give my thoughts on AF:

Turncoat

Rank-N-File

Die For Your Government

Sold As Freedom

Red White And Brainwashed

And just for the hell of it from time to time:

Fuck The Flag, And Fuck You!

Edited by Apple Shampoo