MAJOR Issue With PS3 Selling Point Over Rivals

Benji

PlayStation 3 not 100 percent backwards compatible?

Recent comments cast doubt on whether Sony's next-gen console will play all PSone or PS2 games.

When the PlayStation 3 was unveiled at E3 this past May, the majority of attention focused on its eye-popping graphics and hardware brawn. However, one selling point emphasized by Sony executives was that the console would be backwards compatible not just with PlayStation 2 titles, but also with games for the original PlayStation as well.

This week, though, that claim had some serious doubt cast on it--reportedly from a Sony spokesperson.

According to the IDG News Service, the comment came as part of Sony's response to reported problems with the silver slimline PlayStation 2 (model number SCPH-75000), due for release in Japan on November 23. When the machine was unveiled last week, Sony published a list of nine PlayStation 2 games, including Tekken 5 and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy, and 38 PlayStation games, including Resident Evil 2 and Worms, which have encountered problems playing on the silver PS2. Speaking to IDG in Tokyo on Monday, Sony Computer Entertainment spokesperson Reiko Sakamoto said the problem was due to "multiple factors."

However, it was Sakamoto's comments regarding the PS3 that made the most headlines. When responding to questions about whether or not the SCPH-75000's backwards-compatibility issues heralded similar problems with Sony's next-gen console, she demurred. "It’s hard to say the PlayStation 3 will be 100 percent backwards compatible but as we said earlier this year we aim to make it so as much as possible," Sakamoto said, according to IDG. Attempts to elicit clarifying comments from Sony Computer Entertainment America reps had been unsuccessful as of press time.

While significant--ranging from frozen cinematics and sluggish data-saves--the problems reported with the SCPH-75000 were not widespread. They plagued only a small portion of the 8,000 PS2 and PSone games that Sony tested. It should also be noted that the PS2 is not 100 percent backwards-compatible either--SCEA maintains a list of PSone games that cannot play on the console.

The PlayStation 3 is currently slated for released in Spring 2006. It is not the only next-gen console which has been dogged by backwards-compatibility questions: Microsoft has admitted that a number of original Xbox games will not be playable on the Xbox 360. For its part, Nintendo has said the Revolution will support all GameCube discs, and that it will play downloadable, emulated NES, SNES, and N64 titles.

By Tor Thorsen -- GameSpot

Posted Oct 26, 2005 9:15 pm PT

To me that was the biggest selling point, I don't care about other stuff I just want to keep my old games, it's not like I won't buy it, or that I could sell my 1st generation PS2, but I just find it stupid that the biggest string in its bow now has a huge flaw, Tekken 5 is my top fighting game and if I have to have two consoles out to play it and PS3 games I won't be a happy bunny.

Edited by Benjirino~!

Guest muddatrucker

I've never understood how people could rate something such as backwards compatibility as the major selling point for a new console, its a new console with new games created using new technology.

Its nice to play old games, but get over it, if you really wanna play them, play them on the original console.

Biggest selling point is being able to play PS2 games? thats the biggest selling point for the PS2, not the PS3.

I've never understood how people could rate something such as backwards compatibility as the major selling point for a new console, its a new console with new games created using new technology.

Its nice to play old games, but get over it, if you really wanna play them, play them on the original console.

Biggest selling point is being able to play PS2 games? thats the biggest selling point for the PS2, not the PS3.

Aye I agree, it would be nice to play all your games on one machine but if you want to play a PS2 title so badly just drag your PS2 out of the cuboard.

Okay so biggest was hyperbole, but it's still a big selling point over the other consoles that it had 100% compatability. It's not like the technology they store it on has changed significantly enough to stop it working as much as they seem to state on newer games.

The point is that you don't have to fark about with wires and all that bullshit to go back to some of your older favourite games, I hate having to take it up and downstairs to sort it out. Gamers are lazy by nature and it allows for minimal hassle.

I don't think anyone really cares. I never played old PSX games on my PS2, I don't expect to play PS2 games on my PS3. Xbox 360 has selective backwards compatability though, which means I'll get to play classics like Halo on my new Xbox, and sell the old one. :)

Yeah, damn my door knocking. <_<

Edited by The Kraig

If we're talking five or six games then, who cares? It's not like it's the 360 where we don't know if we can only play five or six games.

Speaking of which though, anyone know where I can find a list of PS1 games that won't play on PS2?

Wow, big f'n deal.

If you're so crazy about playing your PS2 games, KEEP YOUR DAMN PS2 HOOKED UP! Is it that hard? I still keep my PS1 around, for that exact reason.

When you've only got so much space for games, consoles and plugs for said items it is a damn annoyance. Okay so it may not be a huge difference to you guys but it is to me, I struggle with shelf and wiring space as it is (though admitedly I'm not exactly in a huge room) and I was genuinely looking forward to being able to pack away my withering to death PS2, when you buy first generation it's hardly the most trustworthy.

Perhaps it was me making a big deal out of nothing, but to a first time console buyer it is going to make genuine difference as it increases your game range, and those were only a few major game tests, the potential for non-working games is a much higher figure.

I concede that it's not a huge difference, but there is a difference to me (at least) as a consumer and avid Sony product user.

I'll sell or give away most of my PS2 games (I've already started a little) so I don't care, I don't even play my games that are new right now so I don't give a fuck if I can't on a new system. The games will be coming out of there with better stuff soon anyway...

To me it does actually make some sort of difference, but it's not as if knowing this will stop me from actually buying the game. I would love to throw on some of my old PS2 games, but if I can't I'll just throw on one of my new PS3 games. I see your point Benji about the unlimited space, and having the backwards capablity would definalt be a good space saver, but you'll get over it if it's not, I did the same with my Gamecube and all the N64 games I wasn't able to play.

PS2 wasn't 100% backwards compatible either, was it? Hardly dented sales, though.

There were only about 80 games incompatible and they were mostly insignificant bar the original Worms.

True, but who's to say that it won't be much the same with PS3?

PS2 wasn't 100% backwards compatible either, was it? Hardly dented sales, though.

There were only about 80 games incompatible and they were mostly insignificant bar the original Worms.

True, but who's to say that it won't be much the same with PS3?

Tekken 5 is a very new game and that was one of them. All incompatability with PS1 to PS2 was because they were older games and older technology.

Edited by Benjirino~!

I used to think it was a big deal. Getting a Playstation 2 or waiting a year for the Gamecube soley hinged on if I could play my Playstation games. I found out I could so I got a Playstation about a year after it came out. (may have been two I can't remember).

I needed to play my games that I owned, since dishing out for a system is a money drain that doesn't allow getting many if any at all new games with it.

However since then, I think I've played Final Fantasy Tactics once for 5 minutes. I played Final Fantasy 9 with my girlfriend to show her what it's like and... That's about it, and those were only recent.

So I can understand why people would want to have backwards compatability, but I've grown to realized, once you have a new system new games is all you're really gonna play. Yes, there's exceptions, but Sony has to worry about making the best system they can instead of panicky if a few games does not work on their new hardware.

I wait a year or two for price drops and more software anyways and by then there's usually enough games to want to get to play that playing old ones doesn't matter much. Just whip out the old system.