The Battleground Video Game Finalé

Benji

post-435-1130868070.png

The Results

Before we start, I've got to say I was pleasantly suprised at the runnings, it actually didn't look that good in nominations but it hasn't ended up so badly. Still, I'm definately changing the format next year because I just don't think this worked, for me, 'nor for you special voters, and next year I'd prefer it to be more than 25, I want to make it a clear 100 next year, okay?

One more thing, those which were nominated but did not make it...

Legend_of_Zelda_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

Legend of Zelda

Released: 1987

Original Console: NES

I'm dissapointed of the LoZ games this didn't make it in, but it literally missed the cut by nobodies final votes, a great game will stand the test of time and even though this wasn't in this list, I can be assured (if by nobody else, then Kliq) that it will be in next years.

genesis_street_fighter2.gif

Street Fighter II

Released: 1991

Original Console: Arcade

The game of a thousand versions, it set a standard for video gaming excellence, it's impossible to keep up with the storyline and different universes nowadays, but let's face it, as long as you can go back to this sweet game you shouldn't care. It will never be beaten as far as Beat 'Em Ups go for withstanding the test of time.

wwf_smackdown2.jpg

WWF Smackdown! 2: Know Your Role

Released: 2000

Original Console: PlayStation

Improving on the original, this game had the best cast of wrestlers of the Smackdown! series, the game speaks for itself and I'm suprised it didn't make it onto the list. Next year.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoud've voted, Street Fighter II not making it is a travesty. Actually now I remember why I didn't vote I realise I wouldn't have helped SF2 much since I couldn't choose how to spread my votes over the multitude of good games. Ah well, roll on FFVII #1. -_-

I shoud've voted, Street Fighter II not making it is a travesty. Actually now I remember why I didn't vote I realise I wouldn't have helped SF2 much since I couldn't choose how to spread my votes over the multitude of good games. Ah well, roll on FFVII #1. -_-

Who says?

By the way, in case people are wondering, I'm doing this in groups of 5, one group tonight, one tomorrow and so on until Friday night when I'll be posted the finalé and starting The Club and probably a new list nominations thread.

Edited by Benjirino~!

super-mario-world.e_02.png

Super Mario World

Released: 1990

Original Console: SNES

The ultimate Mario game, it featured some of the best levels a platformer has ever seen and is even better in Super Mario Advance form with extra additions to an already brilliant game. This list wouldn't be anywhere near legitimate without it.

Position: 25th

Mortal_Kombat1Gameplay_for_.133375.full.jpg

Mortal Kombat

Released: 1992

Original Console: Arcade

To be perfectly honest I'm of the opinion this was the worst of the games, it was very limited and the only redeeming feature of the time was the semi-contravertial pixelated blood. A great game for the arcades, but it's ports to console made it suffer seriously in my eyes.

Position: 24th

sonic1.JPG

Sonic the Hedgehog

Original Console: SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis

This game got played the shit out of it when I first got it, my first Mega Drive game. Looking back it hasn't stood the test of time, it's very basic but not in the fun way Mario is. If you're new to gaming this should be your introduction game and nothing more.

Position: 23rd

halo05.jpg

Halo

Released: 2001

Original Console: X-Box

One of the more recent game series to get accolades, I'm not a huge fan of the X-Box, but even I have to admit this is a great game (although not as good as Kung Fu Chaos :shifty: ). It's best in team play but it's a decent game as is.

Position: 22nd

ff3us_02.png

Final Fantasy VI

Released: 1994

The first of three Final Fantasies on the list (fuck you all for not voting for Final Fantasy IX by the way). I'd rate this as a great game, it's your standard sprite RPG with the usual great Final Fantasy storytelling. I'm not the biggest fan of this game by any means but I can more than understand how it made it on.

Position: 21st

Thank God Smackdown 2 didn't make the list. Sure, it had a great roster, unfortunately everything else sucked. Shitty arcade gameplay, horrendous load times, and was released roughly the same time as No Mercy, which makes it look even worse by comparison.

I dread seeing Final Fantasy X on this list though. FFIX not making it is bad enough, but FFX making it is just a crime against all things video gaming. MK2 probably got robbed as well, and FFVI is way too low.

Edited by Zero

Don't worry Benji I nominated FFIX. ({)

You are my love child.

Thank God Smackdown 2 didn't make the list. Sure, it had a great roster, unfortunately everything else sucked. Shitty arcade gameplay, horrendous load times, and was released roughly the same time as No Mercy, which makes it look even worse by comparison.

I dread seeing Final Fantasy X on this list though. FFIX not making it is bad enough, but FFX making it is just a crime against all things video gaming. MK2 probably got robbed as well, and FFVI is way too low.

To be perfectly honest in terms of personal opinion and actual accolades of being great games most of the list wasn't too bad. I'll still hold it against you all though if FFIX is not in the Top 10 at least next year.

starwarsknightsoftheoldrepublic_200409220939.jpg

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Released: 2003

Original Console: X-Box

I prefer it on PC, I have to admit. I first played this game round an old mates house and it intruiged me, it took me a little while to get used to be in my honest opinion this is the best Star Wars game ever, if you like the franchise and don't mind not having the regulars then get this game yesterday if not sooner..

Position: 20th

linktothepastlogo.jpg

Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past

I can't remember much difference between the LoZ sprite games if I'm being honest, the first one I remember but this just doesn't ring many bells, sorry fans, I don't have much to say.

Position: 19th

Mario64_2.jpg

Super Mario 64

Released: 1996

Original Console: Nintendo 64

If I have to play Hazy Maze Cave once more I'm going to kill someone. Excellent game made even better by the DS remake. Exquisite example of 3D platformers.

Position: 18th

smbtitle.gif

Super Mario Bros.

Released: 1985

Original Console: NES

Super Mario Bros. have multiple entries on this list, but only Final Fantasy has more reason for that (if only because the games weren't true sequels until X-2 and were all very different). Nintendo somehow manages not to innovate but still improve on games like the Mario series, but this was the best of its time and stands the test better than any other versions. Also, to my recollection this is the ONLY NES/Famicom game on this list.

Position: 17th

24514_L.jpg

Resident Evil 4

Released: 2005

Original Console: GameCube

The most recent game on the list barely made it on due to cut off dates. Since Resident Evil 2 the series has suffered (the other games weren't bad, they just had too much to live up to) and this was a welcome return to form. I may just be caught in the hype because it's fresh in my mind, but this deserved a place on the list, and this is about right.

Position: 16th