Chris Cornell

Benji

In What Form Is Chris Cornell At His Best?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. In What Form Is Chris Cornell At His Best?

• Audioslave
    • Soundgarden
    • Solo Artist

It's been forever since I did a poll :huh: Okay, I was talking about this with my uncle earlier, I had introduced him to Audioslave a long time ago and he knew Soundgarden but wasn't overkeen, but he was listening to Euphoria Morning on my MP3 player and said that it was his favourite of the set, in particular "Wave Goodbye" and "Can't Change Me".

Now my personal favourite is Audioslave, it may be a bias from fellow band members, but the sound he emits perfectly suits the music which is backing him (or vice versa depending how you look at it). I think Soundgarden, while a fantastic set up, was not where he shines at his best. Euphoria Morning I'm on the edge about, obviously he knows his voice best (IE: The two songs previously mentioned just for a couple), but at the same time I think he tried to experiment and the album as a whole didn't come off as brilliantly as it could.

Soundgarden, easily.

I was introduced to him through Audioslave, but I fell in love with his voice from Soundgarden. Audioslave are my favourite contemporary band, but Soundgarden will always be my favourite of all time. More than once I've heard an Audioslave recording, and noticed how rough Cornells voice can sound. It's usually pretty polished for albums and whatnot, but at times he sounds like he's been gargling with gravel. His Soundgarden days were when he was at his peak, in my opinion, his voice was perfect.

I sort of underrate the solo stuff, to be honest. I like it, but I go so long between listening that I always forget how good it is. The after ages I'll stick it on and end up listening to nothing else all day :P

But Soundgarden is what I voted for. The only band I know that I've got ALL of their albums/EPs/etc for.

Edited by Kaneanite

I voted "Solo Artist". I've noticed, especially recently, that while his stuff with Audioslave is hella good, it sounds so... empty, especially the first album. It just sounds like everybody there was uninterested in it, and at the time that may've been the case. Which doesn't mean the album isn't one of my favorites, as Audioslave are definitely one of my favorite bands.

The real problem I had in making my choice was between his solo work and his stuff with Soundarden. Ultimately, I think Cornell as a vocallist shined more on Euphoria Morning than ever before, even if the mainstream world never really caught on. He just pulls you in on every song and his vocals can truly be described as beautiful.

EDIT - Kind of ironic. For some reason, I've always considered the three of us (Benji, Kaney, and myself) as being the biggest Cornell marks on the board. I like how we all made contrasting decisions on where his best work comes from.

Edited by blackholesun

EDIT - Kind of ironic. For some reason, I've always considered the three of us (Benji, Kaney, and myself) as being the biggest Cornell marks on the board. I like how we all made contrasting decisions on where his best work comes from.

Don't let Midget hear you say that :P

Midget was a large factor in my getting into Soundgarden in the first place, so I'll give him kudos even if he ain't around much. But yeah, that was a cool little moment there :P

I'll agree that lyrically Cornell sounds best on Euphoria Morning, but to me it's all a part of the music from Soundgarden, that makes it all one awesome fucking band.

I think, if anything, that does him a great credit, it shows how he can spread his appeal across stylings.

Soundgarden. Audioslave is really unimpressive, bland new generation "alternative rock". There's maybe a handful of decent songs.

And I'd also like to add that Audioslave should never, ever, never, EEEEEEEEEVER cover any RATM songs.

Ever.

I don't ever wanna hear the cover of Killing In The Name again.

Don't let Midget hear you say that :P

Fuck that, don't let me hear that! I've marked for Cornell for years, and still believe him to be one of the best lyricists/vocalists walking God's green earth :P (used to have Cornell in my sig on the last board at times, if I remember correctly)

I'd say that although I like his work at all times, he was at his best when he was singing for Soundgarden. I like Audioslave's work, but there sum of the parts just doesn't work as well as Cornell did with Soundgarden. As for his solo work, I believe that maybe at times his vocals were at thier best, again, the sum of the parts wasn't. For Soundgarden, he had the best mix of lyrics, vocals, and music to fit, IMO.

EDIT: And Cloudy, even if Audioslave is bland new generation "alternative rock", they pull it off a hell of a lot better than other bands doing the same thing.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Dammit, I voted "Solo" when I meant to vote for Soundgarden.

Fix'd.

Soundgarden was great. Then Cornell had to hook up with Tom "The Most Overrated Guitarist In Modern Rock" Morello. Now he's still good, but his band is bland.

I should warn you on principal of insulting Morello's talents :angry:

Voted Soundgarden. I haven't heard any of his 'solo' stuff. It's odd, though. While I was never a big Soundgarden fan, I still liked them. On the other hand, I was a big RATM fan. You'd think I'd like the end result of combining a band I love with a singer I like, but Audioslave is just... bleh.

Voted Soundgarden. I haven't heard any of his 'solo' stuff. It's odd, though. While I was never a big Soundgarden fan, I still liked them. On the other hand, I was a big RATM fan. You'd think I'd like the end result of combining a band I love with a singer I like, but Audioslave is just... bleh.

I'd definitely say grab "Euphoria Morning" if you get the chance, as it is a solid piece of work.

I'd say that ultimately Soundgarden are his strongest body of work, just because it's larger and more diverse, and there are so many incredible songs on there.

However, I've voted for his solo material, because Euphoria Morning is an absolutely incredible album, and I think it finds his voice at the strongest it's ever been. Not to mention some incredible lyrics as well, "When I'm Down", especially.

Audioslave, I'm on the fence about. I quite liked the first album, especially Cochise, which was the perfect marriage of RATM's music and Cornell's voice, but it seemed to get old quickly, and I haven't got into the second album at all. It doesn't feel like Rage, and it doesn't feel like Cornell, it's just fairly dull, and his voice doesn't seem at it's best.

I voted for Audioslave, though honestly its a close call for me between Audioslave and Soundgarden...never heard his solo stuff and, surprisingly, it seems like theres no love in this poll for Temple Of The Dog...

He falls into the trap of relying WAAAAY too much on effects. Listen to his solos, most of the ones I've heard are all effects driven. And while there is a place for that in music, give me a guy relying more on pure talent than technology any day.

Personally, I couldn't give a fuck, as long as it sounds good, which Morello tends to.

EDIT: Temple Of The Dog get plenty of love from me, but I think Vedder's voice was stronger on that album than Cornell's. Although they work beautifully together on "Hunger Strike".

Edited by Skumfrog

He falls into the trap of relying WAAAAY too much on effects. Listen to his solos, most of the ones I've heard are all effects driven. And while there is a place for that in music, give me a guy relying more on pure talent than technology any day.

Assumably you miss the point, he is mostly considered so good BECAUSE his use of effects is pretty much unrivaled, he mixes it into the music so phenomenally, THAT is where his true talent lies.

Edited by Benjirino~!

I saw Tom Morello play a solo show..billed as The Night Watchman, during the Rock Against Bush tour. I must say, all it takes is to hear him play for an hour with an accoustic guitar to realize just how untrue your comment is.

Temple Of The Dog is a good album in itself, but I didn't think of it because I don't consider it a proper band, or 'era' if you will. It was just a side-project Cornell (And others, which is also why I don't consider it specifically 'Cornell') did in honour of Andrew Wood, during his Soundgarden days.

If you were to include Temple, I'd still have Soundgarden on top, but it'd look more like : Soundgarden, Temple, Audioslave, Solo.

Guest seattlebandfan9

Listen to a song called "Loud Love" and you have your answer. I love all three and Euphoria Morning is one of the greatest albums of all time, I believe anyway, but Soundgarden is your answer. I saw Audioslave on November 11th and it was an intense live show and Cornell still has it either way you look at it.