Punk.

TOG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pssh. Everyone cool who likes punk likes MCR and AFI. Post-Hardcore type shit has always been tossed in with Punk.

And you make me chuckle. He's being a cock for the sake of it, yet you're playing with sub-genres in a topic about music you already claimed not to like much. It doesn't really matter how punk, or not punk, those bands are. I listed them because I am looking for new bands, and I like those bands.

I've never met any of these people. :P

As for suggestions, where can I start? There's a plethora of great punk out there, based out of so many different regions. From Austrailia you can check out the Saints, X, or the Psycho Surgeons. From the UK you can check the obvious bands out or Sham 69, Cockney Rejects, UK Subs, Blitz, and Subway Sect. From the USA (the greatest country for punk, bar none) you can look into hardcore shit like Gang Green, The Freeze, Wasted Youth, Code of Honor, Toxic Reasons, Crucifix, or Government Issue. If hardcore isn't your thing than maybe you prefer 77 style like the Dead Boys, Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers, or Richard Hell and the Voidoids. If you want something that is quirky or eclectic look into Geza-X, Black Randy and the Metrosquad, The Screamers, or Feederz.

I can rattle off many more bands if any of them tickle your fancy and you want more similar groups.

As for the whole "this is punk, this isn't punk" arguement, who gives a shit? There is a lot of shit that I wouldn't consider to be punk rock, based on my experiences and what I listen to. Some stuff is obvious punk, some stuff is borderline and hard to decipher. Shit, for example I think the B-52s are very garagey, and have a sound close to 77 style. A lot of people simply label them as poppy dance music.

Pssh. Everyone cool who likes punk likes MCR and AFI. Post-Hardcore type shit has always been tossed in with Punk.

And you make me chuckle. He's being a cock for the sake of it, yet you're playing with sub-genres in a topic about music you already claimed not to like much. It doesn't really matter how punk, or not punk, those bands are. I listed them because I am looking for new bands, and I like those bands.

As for the whole "this is punk, this isn't punk" arguement, who gives a shit?

These bands are not hard to find if you care enough to find them. How do you think I found them? If it's a big deal of finding them, I can easily send files to the dude via AIM or MSN, as I have everything I listed. Or to anybody else that's interested for that matter, I'd love to spread the wealth.

if you want a little more old school:

Angry Samoans

Bad Religion

Black Flag

Cockney Rejects

Dead Kennedys

Descendents

the Germs

Limp Wrist

Minor Threat

Social Distortion

Sex Pistols

if you want a little more new school:

Anti-Flag

Bombs Over Providence

Bouncing Souls

Closet Monster

the Distillers

Down by Law

the Dwarves

H2O

the Joykillers

Lars Frederikson and the Bastards

Millencollin

NOFX

the Offspring

Pansy Division

Pennywise

Protest the Hero

Rancid

Refused

River City Rebels

Turbonegro

I wouldn't say i'm an expert but modern punk-rock is one of my favourite genres. The bad bands suck badly but the good bands are generally awesome...i'm so good i'll even give you free songs too (All legally available to download (Y))

Strung Out - Too Close To See.....................Exhumation of Virginia Madison

Rise Against - Heaven Knows....................IN THE FACE OF CHANGE...........erm....Everchanging

Paint It Black - Exit Wounds.................Womb Envy

Cigar - Mr Hutardo...................Movies & TV

This posting links is getting too much...i'll stick to simple lists instead;

Strung out

Rise Against

Death By Stereo

A WILHELM SCREAM

Strike Anywhere

Hot Water Music

Break The Silence

Paint it Black

Stretch Arm Strong

The Falcon

Cigar

Propagandhi

4 Foot Fingers

Screeching Weasel

(Old School) Good Riddance

Sick Of It All (Prequel to Break The Silence)

The Killing Tree

Pennywise

Waterdown

Alkaline Trio

Only Crime

88 Fingers Louie (Prequel to Rise Against and Break The Silence)

Pulley

(Old School) Get Up Kids (They completely changed sound later on...for the better IMO)

Zero Down

Raised Fist

From Autumn To Ashes

Erm...yeah that'll do for now.

Now that was easier than finding fucking tracks...:shifty: Why does being helpful take too long?

Oooooooo, nice...

Streaming Video - This Curse of Days - Death By Stereo Live At The X-Games

Hell Is For Heroes are signed on Epitaph, awesome. Did they ever release their second album? I know they got dropped off their label after "Neon Handshake" (Which was awesome IMO). They eventually got signed somewhere and put a demo/internet single out, which was a pretty good song and then they faded away again. :(

Edited by Spyrazul27

Guest The Trooper

Has anyone mentioned NoFX or Operation Ivy yet? Two of the most influencial bands from the US!

Some songs to check out

Nofx

Bob

Seperation of Church and skate

Liza and Louise (bahahaha)

... In fact, why not just download all you can, i'm sure you'll LOVE them if you're into old school fun punk

Operation Ivy

Unity

Knowledge

Meh they only ever released one album, just try and pick it up, you wont be dissapointed

NOFX have had one good song (Mattersville), they're incredibly generic, and not in any way amusing or interesting, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. And hearing their name attached to the phrase "old-school punk" is both laughable and vomit-inducing.

I suggest you check out any of the following (on top of the obvious ones, and what VerbalPuke has suggested):

Pussy Galore

The Dead Boys

The Sick Lipstick

Be Your Own Pet

The Cramps

DGeneration

The Fall

That should cover most bases, I think, off the top of my head.

Any Band and every band from HellCat Records are fuckin' awesome, DKM, Rancid,Tiger Army, Left Alone (FUCKIN AWESOME LIVE), Nekromatix, HorrorPops, The Slackers, Lars Frederiksen and The Bastard, Transplant, for bands not on hell cat Millencolin (Y) are awesome, for good psychobilly and rockabilly bands there are Stray Cats, The Buzzbombs, 69 Bevershot, Meteors, and for good New Wave/Ska the AQUABATS

I agree with everything you said there, other than Millencollin, who I think are vastly over-rated, and the Aquabats, who are just utter shite. I've never seen the appeal.

I didn't recommend any psychobilly, though, because I think it tends to lean more towards rockabilly than punk, so it's not the sort of thing I'd recommend to someone just looking for straight punk. Good choices of bands, though.

I dont know a lot of old school Punk. But for new school, Sum 41 and Blink 182 are great. Not sure if you'd count the Killers as punk or not. Simple Plan suck. And those 2 new "pop "punk" bands FallOutBoy and Hedyly suck. GreenDay arent that bad. AFI are good, they made CM Punk's awesome theme song.

I'll admit that I haven't heard the last Sum 41 album, but from most of what I've heard, they had naff teenybopper American pop-punk vocals over generic classic rock riffs, with bad metal solos. It was the worst of all worlds.