Punk.

TOG

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone mentioned NoFX or Operation Ivy yet? Two of the most influencial bands from the US!

I just noticed that sentence and nearly pissed myself laughing. I'd never even heard of Operation Ivy until recently, and neither band are any good, or particularly influential.

Beg to differ, Op Ivy's early work influenced a ton of bands.

NoFX I won't defend, since I don't really give a shit about them.

Maybe that's the case, but one of the most infleuncial bands from the US? Hardly.

As for GG Allin, I don't recommend him. I love him, but he's utter shite. It's all about the image, the music itself, other than the odd couple of tracks, is horrendous.

Has anyone mentioned NoFX or Operation Ivy yet? Two of the most influencial bands from the US!

I just noticed that sentence and nearly pissed myself laughing. I'd never even heard of Operation Ivy until recently, and neither band are any good, or particularly influential.

Maybe that's the case, but one of the most infleuncial bands from the US? Hardly.

As for GG Allin, I don't recommend him. I love him, but he's utter shite. It's all about the image, the music itself, other than the odd couple of tracks, is horrendous.

Don't listen to him, he's crazy! :P

In all honesty, GG's music isn't as horrendous as you may think. His work with the Jabbers was very impressive, and it is very good rock and roll in the 77 style. Stuff from the album "Banned in Boston" is great, and is before his voice deteriorated to complete shit. Songs like Live Fast Die Fast, Living Like an Animal, I need Adventure, Bored to Death, Don't Talk To Me, and Cheri Love Affair hold up against any punk of it's time.

Even his work with the Scumfucs was solid, if unspectacular. The sound is a bit rough, but most of the the tracks are quality for a rough punk sound. However, I will concede the GG's later shit did sound like garbage, but I still love it. His work beyond the Jabbers and Scumfucs is really an acquired taste, only his biggest fans will enjoy it.

Ugh, I'm not going to single you out, because you're not the only guilty party, but I absolutely hate when people end suggestions with "That's all you need". I feel that by saying that your undermining every suggestion made in the thread. Beyond that, what exactly makes these bands that much more special than anything else suggested? Are these groups that ground breaking that our topic starter should only hear these groups because they will encompass everything he needs in punk rock? Apologies if this sounds harsh, but that statement has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile.

Suggestions:

Dropkick Murphys - Irish folk/punk. Hard to pin down.

Less Than Jake. Ska punk.

Green Day. Duh. (¬_¬)

Reel Big Fish. More ska.

Basically PunkRockPete knows his shit and stole nearly all my suggestions.

Use www.pandora.com to find similar styles in music between bands. I worship it every Saturday, and it makes a pretty damn good personal radio channel with no adverts, for free.

If we can get ska in this shindig then I throw forward Streetlight Manifesto, Catch 22, The Mad Caddies and Against all Authority.

bah The Satanic Surfers are a band i've forgotten.

And I hate the thing Kraigy posted.

Strung Out -> Fall Out Boy

Rise Against -> Fall Out Boy

It did play Lost Motel...so I am in love with it. And Rufio aren't too bad, hmm. Band 1 to get shit by.

Anti-Flag is a great band I think, one of the best going today, but also check out stuff on the AF Record label. Pipedown, Virus9 (specifically 77 Threat), Thought Riot, all really strong bands.

Bouncing Souls are tight, but they're more of a melodic old-school style. Coincidentally, one of my favorite Anti-Flag songs is a Bouncing Souls cover titled 'The Freaks, Nerds & Romantics'.

Operation Ivy were highly influencial for a band, who at the time were considered a fairly small, dare I say, local band who rose to fame WITH zero airplay and simple word of mouth. And they arguably accomplished 4 things with their music.

A) They were the groundwork for Rancid and whether people like it or not, were the third biggest punk band of the 90's (behind Green Day and the Offspring).

B) Without them, 90's ska wouldn't have been possible. Doesn't sound as important, but considering the bands that came about and were popularized because of it (Rancid, No Doubt, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc)

C) In a time when Record labels were clearly on the rise, Op. Ivy stayed true to the DIY ethics by not signing with EMI record label and in turn breaking up because of it.

D) Arguably were the best ska band to ever exist because of their innovations of the genre, massive critical acclaim and their rise to fame after breaking up.

Edited by PunkRockPete