Punk.

TOG

None of the bands you just listed are punk, or good.

You take that back.

I have some weird undying love for Fall Out Boy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit that I haven't heard the last Sum 41 album, but from most of what I've heard, they had naff teenybopper American pop-punk vocals over generic classic rock riffs, with bad metal solos. It was the worst of all worlds.

Dance, Dance & Sugar, We're Goin' Down are two the catchiest songs of '05. hands down.

I LOVE YOU FALL OUT BOY

Guest Booker T & The MG's

Hell Is For Heroes are signed on Epitaph, awesome. Did they ever release their second album? I know they got dropped off their label after "Neon Handshake" (Which was awesome IMO). They eventually got signed somewhere and put a demo/internet single out, which was a pretty good song and then they faded away again. :(

I agree with everything you said there, other than Millencollin, who I think are vastly over-rated, and the Aquabats, who are just utter shite. I've never seen the appeal.

I didn't recommend any psychobilly, though, because I think it tends to lean more towards rockabilly than punk, so it's not the sort of thing I'd recommend to someone just looking for straight punk. Good choices of bands, though.

I tend to agree with that last statement, but I also think it could go either way. Both are seperate genres, but I think those that would appreciate The Cramps would appreciate either genre. Essentially, I think both genres borrow from each other, as a lot of punk was derived from the early rockabilly. On top of that, it's not uncommon to find shows with a mixture of psychobilly and punk bands. On that same note, I've also found that psychobilly greaser types are common at punk shows, and vice versa. Then again, those same types are people heavily embroiled in either genre. Like I said, I think you're on the money, but I figured I'd add my view.

For a band that has a good classic rockabilly sound but also a 77 styelish punk sound then I'd suggest Nipple Erectors, or later known as the Nips. Fans of Shane MacGowan should take note as this is what he was doing before he was with the Pogues.

The Code

Bouncing Souls

The Ratchets (might be hard to find. but a search on myspace will work. you dont need an account)

Michale Graves (has a new album. sounds like some of his misfits stuff. "Punk Rock is Dead")

The Dead Milkmen

World Inferno/Friendship Society

Blanks 77

Almost anything else worth listening to has been mentioned. If you like a little emo you should check out Bayside. They're awesome. For a little more traditional hardcore check out Label the Traitor.

Big D and the Kids Table are worth checking out no matter what type of music you like. Just do it.

Edited by Whoo

Against Me!

Bouncing Souls

Lars Frederiksen and the Bastards

Offspring

Pennywise

That's all you need right there.

But, if you want to take it old school, Minor Threat and Operation Ivy are great.

Ugh, I'm not going to single you out, because you're not the only guilty party, but I absolutely hate when people end suggestions with "That's all you need". I feel that by saying that your undermining every suggestion made in the thread. Beyond that, what exactly makes these bands that much more special than anything else suggested? Are these groups that ground breaking that our topic starter should only hear these groups because they will encompass everything he needs in punk rock? Apologies if this sounds harsh, but that statement has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile.

Has anyone mentioned NoFX or Operation Ivy yet? Two of the most influencial bands from the US!

I just noticed that sentence and nearly pissed myself laughing. I'd never even heard of Operation Ivy until recently, and neither band are any good, or particularly influential.

Has anyone mentioned NoFX or Operation Ivy yet? Two of the most influencial bands from the US!

I just noticed that sentence and nearly pissed myself laughing. I'd never even heard of Operation Ivy until recently, and neither band are any good, or particularly influential.

Beg to differ, Op Ivy's early work influenced a ton of bands.

NoFX I won't defend, since I don't really give a shit about them.