Videogames To Film

Benji

Studio Confirms Tekken, Castlevania, Pac-Man Details

Crystal Sky to focus on videogame and comic book films.

by Paul Davidson

December 22, 2005 - Steven Paul, CEO of the small film studio Crystal Sky, chatted with Gamecloud a few weeks ago about some fairly juicy projects that could put the company into the limelight. Tekken and Castlevania are both names familiar to millions of videogamers around the world, and Hollywood is far from exhausting the pool of potential that exists in console games, despite numerous flops at the box office.

Paul confirmed that production on Tekken is imminent, planned for early 2006. He said that the deal for that picture came about thanks to his studio's close relationship to the Japanese companies associated with the game series, Gaga and Namco. He did not, unfortunately, address any casting. The rumor about Jet Li's involvement remains up in the air at the moment.

According to the Crystal Sky Homepage, a promotional trailer for Tekken is "coming soon."

Paul also briefly mentioned the Castlevania film that has been previously reported on here and elsewhere. He confirmed the hiring of Paul W.S. Anderson (Resident Evil, Mortal Kombat) to write and direct, saying Anderson was a natural choice due to his experience in adapting videogames to the film medium.

"Paul Anderson's vision will encompass both his own take on the subject matter, but will also stay faithful to many of the game's aspects that have made it so appealing and such a classic."

The Crystal Sky chief also shed some light on the film's subject matter, saying that it would chronicle Dracula's early years and the creation of the legend. The long-lived game franchise follows the ordeals of the Belmont family, who must defeat Dracula every few centuries following the vampire's periodic resurrections.

Crystal Sky is also planning a movie based on the venerable arcade hit Pac-Man. However, Paul wouldn't divulge any details at this time.

Perhaps it's a sign of the times that small indie studios like Crystal Sky are moving to fill the videogame film niche. There's plenty of original material waiting to be repackaged for film, but with most recent efforts proving to be financial flops, more modest budgets might be in order. Doom, for example, is one the latest game adaptations to fall short of expectations. The sci-fi actioner, which stars The Rock and LOTR's Karl Urban, has earned back only a portion of its $60 million production budget. Can Tekken and Castlevania help to reinvigorate the genre?

Finally confirmation that it's beginning proper, fuck everything else in this article :shifty:

Since this seems like a general vg-to-film topic...let me just say that it will be my pleasure to watch Uwe Boll's next dynastic failure of filmmaking when it arrives January 6, 2006. Still, to his credit he DID get Guinevere Turner to write...

Wasnt xiao or whatever her name is moddelled after jet li? marshal law and forest law are fucking bruce and son lee. cgi, i think.

goldberg has to play marduck and rock has to play king, or else it is all bullshit.

Guest clintcasey

A Pac Man Film.... I love Pac Man but...oh well

*waits for a Dragon Quest movie*

I am seriously drawing a blank on how a Pac-Man film could even be made. Unless they use the crappy Pac-Man adventure games as the basis which can only lead to crap.

Since this seems like a general vg-to-film topic...let me just say that it will be my pleasure to watch Uwe Boll's next dynastic failure of filmmaking when it arrives January 6, 2006. Still, to his credit he DID get Guinevere Turner to write...

Nuts to Blood Rayne, Dungeon Siege is where it's at.

I liked the Street Fighter movie, though I never knew the scientist guy with Blanka was meant to be Dhalsim.