Supporting your local team.

Marcos

Arsenal are the family team so I've always been with them, that and I saw a few games at Highbury as a kid which got me into it. Brentford are my local, the ground about a minute from where I sit now. I've always gone to Brentford games (usually home but the away ones when both my brother and I can afford/are free to go), used to be a season ticket holder but I work Saturday's now so can only see Brentford or Arsenal sparingly.

Despite that I would say I'm no less of an Arsenal fan than anyone else. I live in Brentford and support the team too, but there are probably bigger fans than me that travel a bit to be there. It's not where somebody lives that makes them a fan but how the feel about the club.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arsenal are the family team so I've always been with them, that and I saw a few games at Highbury as a kid which got me into it. Brentford are my local, the ground about a minute from where I sit now. I've always gone to Brentford games (usually home but the away ones when both my brother and I can afford/are free to go), used to be a season ticket holder but I work Saturday's now so can only see Brentford or Arsenal sparingly.

Despite that I would say I'm no less of an Arsenal fan than anyone else. I live in Brentford and support the team too, but there are probably bigger fans than me that travel a bit to be there. It's not where somebody lives that makes them a fan but how the feel about the club.

I should be there. Are you going to make the journey to glorious Brentford? After our FA Cup run last year against better teams I can't see Sunderland being any trouble.

I don't think we'll be hammered anyway, should be a tight enough game either way. Whenever any club play Brentford they always say "they're a good physical side", the translation being "they kick lumps out of everyone." Sunderland have got that to look forward to at the very least.

Guest muddatrucker27

Originally being from Trowbridge in Wiltshire, my local team were Trowbridge Town and were in the Dr. Martins league until their ground was knocked down in place of a shopping centre, I moved when I was about 11/12 to Exeter so I was in no sudden position to feel the need to support Exeter (that and I hate teams in Red and White stripes).

I support Arsenal because its the family team, my family are from North London so it comes from there, I go to as many games as possible, but its more difficult since I got to Uni, but when I'd go, I'd go with my brother who goes far more often than me (due to money and generally not giving a shit what he spends it on).

Bollocks to what Slickman says about the 60% of Gooners, it'd seem like a random statement had you not blindly supported Spurs. To me, theres always going to be bias towards your home team, but then theres always going to be those douchebags who take it too far, as we can see from the way you've posted in the past, booing at youth team players in international games and randomly acting like a 16 year old boy, thats not being a 'fan', thats acting like a pikey cunt.

At the end of the day, aslong as you know what your talking about and don't ever change your position, I think you can support who you like, Its always nice to have a reason, but you're always going to come up against Elitest fans who believe they're superior. I don't need to explain why I support my team, but its always nice if anyone ever tries to question it as they end up looking like pricks.

I do reckon that you get to a certain age when you've had to of seen your team live, I know of Utd fans who'll argue with strangers and lie about seeing games when they've never even been.

Man Utd were the first team I ever saw play. My aunt and uncle (who's a massive Utd fan) lived there for a long time. Since neither of my parents care about football I followed his lead. My first football coach and family friend was a Utd fan too, and he used to play for them. First game I ever saw live was at the age of 14. Utd vs Bayern at Old Trafford.

I did start going to my hometown team's games after that and now they're more important to me. That is to say, if Darlo ever got drawn against Utd in the cup, I'd root for Darlo. Now that I've moved away from my hometown I support them more than ever.

I wouldn't call it glory supporting if you're a kid, and you see a team on TV or whatever and they impress you, so you support them. It's glory supporting when all of a sudden Chelsea are doing brilliantly well and I start seeing Chelsea shirts pop up around town when I live at least six hours away.

Sunderland come first, they're 90 miles from where I live.

But I have good knowledge about Carlisle (see: having best friend who is ex-Rangers and Carlisle legend grandson :P) and I tried to go to games before I started helping my tennis coach on Saturday's.

I also have a soft spot for Spurs but that's probably something to do with Jermain Defoe and Martin Jol being super-awesome.

Originally being from Trowbridge in Wiltshire, my local team were Trowbridge Town and were in the Dr. Martins league until their ground was knocked down in place of a shopping centre, I moved when I was about 11/12 to Exeter so I was in no sudden position to feel the need to support Exeter (that and I hate teams in Red and White stripes).

I support Arsenal because its the family team, my family are from North London so it comes from there, I go to as many games as possible, but its more difficult since I got to Uni, but when I'd go, I'd go with my brother who goes far more often than me (due to money and generally not giving a shit what he spends it on).

Bollocks to what Slickman says about the 60% of Gooners, it'd seem like a random statement had you not blindly supported Spurs. To me, theres always going to be bias towards your home team, but then theres always going to be those douchebags who take it too far, as we can see from the way you've posted in the past, booing at youth team players in international games and randomly acting like a 16 year old boy, thats not being a 'fan', thats acting like a pikey cunt.

At the end of the day, aslong as you know what your talking about and don't ever change your position, I think you can support who you like, Its always nice to have a reason, but you're always going to come up against Elitest fans who believe they're superior. I don't need to explain why I support my team, but its always nice if anyone ever tries to question it as they end up looking like pricks.

I do reckon that you get to a certain age when you've had to of seen your team live, I know of Utd fans who'll argue with strangers and lie about seeing games when they've never even been.

Edited by The Slickman

The nearest team to where I live is Middlesbrough, but I support Darlington because my dad and I went to a few matches in the 95/96 season (probably cos it was a lot cheaper than going to see a Premiership side) and I've supported Darlo ever since. So they're not my local team as such, but no Darlington supporter can ever be accused of being a glory hunter. <_<

To be fair, if someone comes from Birmingham and says they support Liverpool it wouldn't really bother me if they said they go to games and do actually support them. I still think you should keep it local and support a team in your area because it just makes more sense. Theirs nothing better than a local derby, in my case, villa and blues and I don't think you can experience just how big a derby game is unless you live in the city.

But as for these fuckin dick heads who go round wearing Arsenal and Manure shirts and haven't got a clue who they've got the weekend or how to get to even get to the ground, well they can do one. Theirs nothing I hate more than people like that who try and slag you when your teams lost. They might as well support Juventus, imo they ent even supporters.

I support my local team. I live about 10 minutes or so from Newcastle (I guess I may live closer to Sunderland...but the place and team are pure shite. I think the last time I went to Sunderland was about 6 years ago). Anyways my mums side of the family were all big Newcastle fans. My dad's side are from the Teeside area and all support Middlesborough, but my dad whilst liking football is not really over the top when it comes to supporting teams. He doesn't watch matches, he looks at results and stuff, and if me or my brother have MOTD on he'll watch it, but he doesn't go out of his way for anything. If Middlesborough lost he wouldn't really care all that much. With him it is sort of like "I'll support my local team, because they're the local team" kind of thing. So because of that, I was raised a Newcastle fan. Though I refuse to watch Newcastle matches inthe house as my mum is the most pessimistic/mental person when it comes to football matches (I know Newcastle can be piss poor, but she goes way over the top).

Edited by YI-tzy McJewish

Guest muddatrucker27

I know ex players get boo'ed and what not, but those fans don't then log onto the internet and post about it as if its some kind of show of passion.

They then don't come up with percentages of fans who aren't real either, this is someone who takes being a supporter too seriously, they think that by being a cunt about everything it means they're some brilliantly passionate fan. Its just like going somewhere with your little brother and him acting a twat until you give him a slap on the back of his head.

Obviously in life there are glory supporters and they'll only support teams who have experience some form of achievement so its explainable when that happens to a select few teams, but you wouldn't see me pulling percentages out of my ass when its a rival team because I know nobody would take it for shit.

And no offence intended, but after the Walcott thing, I don't value your opinion that much.

Yeah , Calling people names over the internet is so bad ass init Mudda ..

If there was no passion in football it wouldnt be as big as it is in England . I have never said that im passionate about Spurs because i go to games and shout at players . If an Arsenal player is playing for any country but England and come to WHL they will get booed and its the same if any Spurs/Man Utd/Chelsea players played a international game at Highbury the Libary .

I dunno if your trying to put over that i go to a game , boo a player and think "The guys on EWB will love this" but it aint nothing to do with that . If people dont boo players and shout and get into games there will be no atmosphere in any game , look at the majority of games when they are 0-0 at Highbury especially against teams like Villa , Birmingham , Charlton etc. there is silence from the home crowd , must be well fun ..

Guest muddatrucker27

I'm sick of all this 'yeah thats badass isnt it?', the day I come on here and say I think calling you a prick is badass, then call me on it, but I call you a prick, because I think you're a prick.

I'm saying, you boo'ed clichy and then came on here and posted about it like it was something really cool when in reality it just made you look sad as a bag of shit.

I boo players and I cheer players, I take part in chants, the only part of Highbury that I sat in and wasn't happy with the amount of cheering, was the West stand and if you're in the lower tier its just generally shit because you can't see fuck all if you're taller than your average borrower.

Whats this, if there was no passion it wouldnt be as big? I'm saying that you think booing youth teams equates to passion, wearing rose-tinted (less tinted and more covered) equates to passion, thats not passion, you can passionate without acting like a blindman.

You keep dodging this 60% thing too, that was the major point of this arguement, its just another one of those schoolboy things that you constantly seem to post, you're always trying to have a stab because you think it shows your passion, it just makes you look so bias that you're not even worth having a discussion with.

I can watch a Spurs game on TV infact I did the other day against Man City, I sat in a pub waiting for a date to arrive and watched it with a pint of beer, I watched it as a neutral and enjoyed it. To me, you're not a good example of a football fan because you let bias get in the way of all of your decisions and it gets old quick.

EDIT: I can handle speaking to CSAMH, Lazy Arse, Fineintent and any other spurs fan but you're just shit.

Guest muddatrucker27

You're missing all of my points completely, I suggest you read everything I write closely, maybe twice, allow it to sink in, then think before replying, because these replies aren't answering anything and you're obviously not taking it in because you're repeating yourself.

Now, take a deep breath, rub the steam from your spectacles.

WHERE...yes, WHERE, did this 'if it wasnt for passion football wouldnt be as popular' come from? I never debated this (and yet when I asked the first time, you repeated the point again?), all I said was you're definition of passion is different to that of everyone else, you think boo'ing youth players is passion because after you did it you felt the need to tell us on here as if it was an achievement. If I remember at the time you got a few 'wtf' replies from several different members. (after stuff like this, you question my maturity? lol)

You're opinions are ALWAYS far more bias than any other fan here, that could be seen as passion, but not by us, it just makes you an intolerable football fan on a neutral level.

The fact is, you're always trying to have a pop at Arsenal (much like the random 60% arsenal statement), its fun a few times but then it gets boring, its as if you're trying to make out you live this rivalry and somehow that makes you a great spurs fan.

You still get bugged about Sol Campbell jumping ship too, how many years has it been? how many years have you cried? move on.

You fell asleep during the Utd/Arsenal game? is that suppose to be another stab, big deal, you fell asleep? I'm not getting the point...you were bored? and? I don't get it.

Basically, re-read the part of my last post where I asked you where you plucked the question of no passion in football from, because I asked the first time and you didn't answer, just rewrite what I'd previously questioned.

Also, the under-21's are still a youth team, much like under-19s teams and any team below the senior team, you can find the definition for youth over at Dictionary.com too.

The fact is, theres always going to be glory supporters, people who support teams that have experienced glory and if they live in London its good to support a London team so that leaves Chelsea and Arsenal so I guess its a 50/50 choice, I still dont understand the 60% being close though how many surveys did you complete?

Im still laughing at the mature comment, its really tickling me.

EDIT:

Just a few comments I took from the first few pages of your posting history, I suppose this shows a good level of maturity, because you speak like a kid on a playground

'Robert "im a gay french man" Pires'

'As a Spurs fan and not being able to stand the likes of the scum (Arsenal )'

'cheating robert pires . diving wanker'

"have you ever seen campbell with a bird ? , have you ever seen campbell with a bird ? have u ever seen campbell , ever seen campbell , ever seen campbell with a bird" - after complaints about jewish chants at spurs and how they're old, lol

in a us game its like being at highbury you cant hear fuck all - probably never been to Highbury

'Y The fuck would anyone even utter the words Frank Lampard in this thread' in response to a favourite/best players thread