Supporting your local team.

Marcos

I'm in a creative mood tonight :)

I know this will probably spark off a massive debate, but what the hell...

So basically, do you think a supporters views and support are valid if he does not support a team local to him? Does he have the right to comment about all matters relating to the club?

Personally, I beleive it does. At Kille we have a massive area around us where you can either support Killie or Ayr but cause we are so close to Glasgow all the Gloryhunting scumbags (sorry if you are a true OF fan but most of you aren't (Y) ) decide to travel another hour up the road to pay twenty/thirty pound extra to watch them completely hammer the opposition. Whereas they could take 30 miles off their journey, save a fortune on petrol, pay £30 cheaper and watch some real football.

Killie are 11million pound in debt and we have only sold 3000 season tickets which is garbage for a club like ourselves. We were ridiculed in the press by some agent (Raymond Sparkes <_< I wonder what he is saying now. For anyone who doesn't know, Sparkes commented on Jeffries saying that he would get Killie relegated. We are now 5th in the league 1 point behind the champions. ) who thinks he knows more about football than JJ. We have been told that if we were to get relegated then we would go bust. Ayr have a wooden stadium :lmao: and are in the second division paying players £50 a week.

I wonder if all the fans who come from the Ayrshire area went and supported Killie or Ayr how much trouble we would be in now.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends. Things are different in the US, there's no relegation or anything. Plus, the good sports (err, sport... the NFL), has revenue sharing and a salary cap, so the amount of monetary support from the fans dosen't (or, actually, shouldn't) affect the play on the field.

I personally don't have a problem, but that may come from spending my whole life in LA, where everyone comes from somewhere else.

Meh, I support Sunderland and Rangers, but my main team is Linfield, which technically isn't local (that's Lisburn Distillery, although it's complicated, and they're not actually a Lisburn team), but it irritates the hell outta me when these guys call themselves "fans" of Linfield when they only go to the big matches. When they're standing out in pissing rain to watch the Blues play a shit team every week, then they're a fan.

I support Liverpool, despite living at the other end of the country. It probably started off as a 'glory hunter' thing, but to say that I'm less of a supporter because I don't come from Liverpool is a load of wank. I go to games whenever I can (a lot less than I like, but work comes first).

I follow my local teams as well, I go and watch Aldershot as much as I can (obviously a lot more than Liverpool, although I'd still say I support Liverpool more).

I support Spurs and i dont live in North London . I Live in Essex and from my house there are 3 teams which are almost the same distance away them being Leyton Orient , Spurs and West Ham , I believe Arsenal is just down the road so count 4 . I support Spurs because it runs in the family .

What annoys me more is when someone in London supports Man Utd , They dont know the whole team , Have never been to a game , Dont know the history and dont even like football yet there a "fan" . Exactly the same with Arsenal id say 60% of Gooners i meet dont know the history or the team .

To me if your trying to get to games constantly , knowing the history , knowing your team like the back of your hand and having an opinion makes you a football fan no matter what team you support . I would still support Spurs if i lived up north and i would try and go to away games in the north (Newcastle , Boro , Man U etc) .

I support Spurs and i dont live in North London . I Live in Essex and from my house there are 3 teams which are almost the same distance away them being Leyton Orient , Spurs and West Ham , I believe Arsenal is just down the road so count 4 . I support Spurs because it runs in the family ..

I do hope you keep an eye out for the O's (Y)

It doesnt bother me who anyone supports because it doesn't really matter that much, but it is nice to support your local team no matter how rubbish they are. Chances are they are more involved in the local community than most things.

I live in Scotland but I love Chelsea. I'm not going to make up some bullshit reason for it, like a certain "Italian" person here did, I saw them on the telly when I was younger and fell in love with the club. Supporting Chelsea, I get the "glory hunter" tag thrown at me allot these days but it doesn't bother me because I know that's something I am not. It makes you nothing less of a fan if you don't live in the same city, or in my case country, as you're team's from. It just makes you a long distance fan.

I still love my local team as well. They suck hard but I'm there at every home game.

Well I live in an area thats classed as being part of Wigan, however I am a Bolton Wanderers supporter, mainly because everyone in my family has supported them at some point so I ended up being another follower. Sadly, most people who live in this area support Manchester United, I can't stand the glory hunters.

As a lot of you know I live in North Devon when at home, so that leaves me with Barnstaple Town or Bideford Town - neither of which really are going anywhere fast, although Bideford get the odd good cup run now and again - and Plymouth who are my nearest major side apart from arguably Torquay and Exeter.

I support Leicester though because the majority of my family is from there, so it's a family thing for me more than anything else. They are in effect a home team for me in that regard.

My uncle is a huge Red Sox fan. Over a decade ago, he moved to Oregon. Boston is nowhere near local to Oregon. However, he still remains diehard and keeps up on all news relating to the Sox.

A friend of mine lives in southwest Connecticut, the NYC side of the state. She likes the Yanks, like most of the people down there. But, she roots for the Patriots. When I found that out, I was puzzled. But she says it's because her family is from Vermont and they're all Pats fans and she took with them. She proved to me rather well she's not just a casual fan or bandwagoner either.

Although the NBA lies third in my popularity of sports, I root for the NJ Nets instead of the Boston Celtics. I honestly admit I don't follow basketball as much as baseball, but I do have some opinion on the Nets as my favourite team. Then again, are there many Nets fans anyway (in or out of Jersey) to make commentary about the team?

I'm definitely a big fan of whatever local teams I have. However, in many sports I don't have a local team. So in the cases of hockey and basketball I don't really have a team I root for. It's weird though, because I do follow a Premiership team in Newcastle United. I don't have a local Premiership team, obviously.

There was a long period when my local hockey team was abysmal. Unfortunately that was when I was growing up and more apt to latch on to a dream. We had a miracle run in 1994 when I was nine, and then downhill from there. I went over to the dark side and adopted another team as my own. When my local team started to put things together, I was back behind their corner, and sure, I might lose out on the team's most hardcore fan balloting for that, but there's only so much mediocrity and dissapointment one child can take.

We had a basketball team here. I didn't support it, and they had to move. So, really, I win.

Well I grew up on the main line into London and everytime I went in to London would go past WHL so they were my biggest local team and runs in the family (mum was pregnant with me when we did the UEFA in '84). Of course since we've moved to the other main line into London I have declined the opportunity to support that big side...

I still also go to Stevenage Borough quite a lot (even though Peterborough and Cambridge are closer) and have been known to go and see other local teams occasionaly such as Cambridge City & Histon. I just like a game of football at the end of the day and although I support Spurs and Stevenage if Stevenage are away and I was unable to get tickets for the Spurs game I'll regularly check what other local ames are on.

I just support the team thats ran in my family since me Grandad supported them (Leeds). Despite having to make a 280 mile round trip when I go to a home game (usually one a month). I always go to away games against local teams such as Wolves and Birmingham if we play them.

I hate people who have no idea about their team, no matter where they are from. I know a lot of Man United 'fans' who don't usually know there next game or their previous result

I support Spurs and i dont live in North London . I Live in Essex and from my house there are 3 teams which are almost the same distance away them being Leyton Orient , Spurs and West Ham , I believe Arsenal is just down the road so count 4 . I support Spurs because it runs in the family ..

I do hope you keep an eye out for the O's (Y)

Sunderland come first, they're 90 miles from where I live.

But I have good knowledge about Carlisle (see: having best friend who is ex-Rangers and Carlisle legend grandson :P) and I tried to go to games before I started helping my tennis coach on Saturday's.

I also have a soft spot for Spurs but that's probably something to do with Jermain Defoe and Martin Jol being super-awesome.

I support Fulham, but due to players I liked when younger, I do like to see Leeds (I used to love Lukic, Strachan, Chapman, et al when younger) and Newcastle (especially Shearer, my favourite player of all time) do well.

I live North East London, so Fulham are not a million miles away, but are by no means my nearest team. I had family who lived there though, and started supporting them when they were in the 3rd Division.

I don't think it makes much of a difference how far away you are as to how much you may or may not support a team. I "support" Celtic in Scotland (the Irish roots), but I don't live in Glasgow or Ireland, but doesn't make me follow them any less (though I don't support them as much as I do Fulham, which is why I put "support")

I also follow Brighton (since I live here now) and Dagenham (my official local team)