The Guitar Hero Thread

apsham

Major press release today about GH3. From younewb.com:

Activision just released a press release with some details on the next installment in the much played Guitar Hero III series. The presser confirms that they game will be coming to the PS2, PS3, Wii and Xbox 360, with each console to have some kind of wireless controller. There’es even going to be boss battles and famous rock venues for you to play in. They also released a small list of some of the tracks that will be in GHIII. I’m stoked about the Weezer add. Here’s the list…

• Paint It Black (by The Rolling Stones)

• Cherub Rock (by Smashing Pumpkins)

• Sabotage (by Beastie Boys)

• The Metal (by Tenacious D)

• My Name is Jonas (by Weezer)

• Knights of Cydonia (by Muse)

• Rock And Roll All Nite (as made famous by Kiss)

• School’s Out (as made famous by Alice Cooper)

• Slow Ride (as made famous by Fog Hat)

• Cult of Personality (by Living Colour)

• Barracuda (as made famous by Heart)

Damn, even the Beastie Boys and Tenacious D made it. The presser also says there will be all kinds of exclusive downloadable content, but it doesn’t say what each platform will get. I’m liking the fact that each console will get wireless guitar controllers, that’s a big plus. Neversoft also promises more surprises, as far as the tracks go at least, are on the way. The game itself doesn’t have a set release date but is supposed to be available in the fall.

[update]Here are a couple of snippets from the release that could tickle your fancy..

…strategic partnerships have been secured with all the major and independent music record labels and publishers…

This next bit could tickle a little too…

The exclusive Gibson guitars will include innovative features such as removable faceplates that will allow fans to later personalize their guitars and make it their own, and a new button color design that will be integrated for an even greater authentic feel and rock experience.

The Gibson rox sox and all that but a new color scheme? I hope they don’t throw more buttons in there because I’m just beginning to master the art of the five button shred.

Smashing Pumpkins!!!! Muse! Bad choice on the KISS song though... I wanted Deuce. Still, I'm a fan of all these songs, I can't wait to spend another $90! Woo!

Edited by Zero

Those are the ones I'm REALLY excited for, and I'm also very interested in the Weezer song selection because I wasn't expecting "My Name is Jonas" at all. That is just. Oh man. The number one awesome.

Sabotage, oh hells yeah. Looking good, and I'm liking the idea of customizable guitars. and boss battles! Just so long as they don't make it much harder, I'm really, really struggling on the final third of GHII on hard.

I notive that says Neversoft is doing GH3, anyone know why is Harmonix stopping?

Pfft, Map of the Problematique is the best thing they've ever done.

I would have loved that to be on. Special K theme peformance FTW!

Would've preffered Synchronicity I over II for the 80's but oh well.

I know Neversoft is developing the game, but has there been any word on who is doing the music recordings? Is it still Wavegroup, or someone else, or has nothing been said yet? That's one of my biggest concerns about GH3- that the new covers won't be as good as in past GH's due to a new recording group.

My other concern is that the game will be chock full of the immature 'humor' found throughout the Tony Hawk franchise.

I know Neversoft is developing the game, but has there been any word on who is doing the music recordings? Is it still Wavegroup, or someone else, or has nothing been said yet? That's one of my biggest concerns about GH3- that the new covers won't be as good as in past GH's due to a new recording group.

My other concern is that the game will be chock full of the immature 'humor' found throughout the Tony Hawk franchise.

Not every Neversoft game is immature humor. Hell, they made the only great Spider-Man game, ever. Yeah I said it, all the "free-roaming" Spider-Mans blow. They also made Gun, which wasn't about immature humor. And Guitar Hero already has its fair share of immaturity... Tony Hawk games have immature humor because that's their target audience.

As for the recordings, looks like we're getting a lot more master recordings, look:

Note the bold ones are the only with "as made famous by," the rest are just "by." Honestly, for the covers, I hope they get a new group to do it because a lot of those covers are fucking awful.

Edited by Zero

Not every Neversoft game is immature humor. Hell, they made the only great Spider-Man game, ever. Yeah I said it, all the "free-roaming" Spider-Mans blow. They also made Gun, which wasn't about immature humor. And Guitar Hero already has its fair share of immaturity... Tony Hawk games have immature humor because that's their target audience.

Immaturity in Guitar Hero? Like what? Yeah, there was humor in parts of the game, but there weren't any poop jokes

Well there was a pee joke with "always keep an empty bottle in the van, you'll see." And isn't there a "69" somewhere in the high school gym?

Either way, I understand your concern, but I don't think you'll have much to worry about. Plus, the Tony Hawk games have somewhat moved away from all the dick and fart jokes, at least with Project 8, which was the first THPS I've played in years. The immature games were the ones that were based around Bam Margera, and that should come as no surprise.

Really the only song confirmed for 3 that I'm irritated over is Cult of Personality. I hate that song. But it has Barracuda, so I'll be loving it anyways. And hopefully the rumored Velvet Revolver song will be something like Slither or Come On Come In. Though on the other hand, Libertad will be out by then, so it could be something off there. I just like that we're getting more Slash! RT80s should get a GNR song on it yet or I'm gonna be a bit pissed at it.

Y'know, as if it'll matter, because I'll still get it anyways...