The Guitar Hero Thread

apsham

You could probably get a decent trade-in for Saint's Row. I got $25 for Dead or Alive 4 and that was a launch title.

Where did you trade it in? I go to EB games and usually get next to nothing for everything I trade in. Hell I got 20 or 30 for Guitar Hero II in December. With the controller.

Gamestop... owned by the same people though. You're screwed if you try to turn in anything for PS2, XBox, or Gamecube these days, they don't offer shit for anything unless it's like God of War 2.

Guest Grapehead

Just got the first Guitar Hero... and the hammer-on/pull-off system can go fuck itself. Seriously, I find it almost impossible to hit the most perfectly timed hammer-on. Do you guys have any suggestions? Cause I can't afford to break that many chains by missing those notes.

Yeah, the hammer on system is much better in guitar hero 2

I've been playing guitar hero 2 lately because my friend borrowed it from someone, we beat the career on medium which wasn't too hard... but we got kinda stuck on hard, but we're getting better.

I gotta say though, that game is alot more fun blazed... I'm much better at it haha.

Guest Grapehead

GH2 is a lot better than GH1, it's just all around funner. I suppose when I pick up on the hammer-ons in the first I might have a lot more fun with certain songs.

GH2 is the better game, but aside from a few tracks (RATM, G'n'R etc.), I prefer the setlist from GH1.

It's definitely a matter of opinion, but I like GH2 for throwing in a few more obscure tracks. GH1 has some great anthems, but damn, most of those songs have been rammed up my ass for a decade or more. They definitely went with less mainstream songs for the sequel:

Salvation over Ruby Soho or Timebomb

Strutter over Rock n Roll All Nite (although I demand Detroit Rock City for GH3)

Shout At the Devil over Girls, Girls, Girls or Dr. Feelgood

Billion Dollar Babies over School's Out or Eighteen

Them Bones over Man in the Box

Can't You Hear Me Knockin over the rest of the Stones catalog

Tattooed Love Boys over Message of Love

John the Fisherman over My Name is Mud or Wynona's Big Brown Beaver

Bad Reputation over the Boys are Back in Town

Last Child over Aerosmith's bigger singles

Stop! over Been Caught Stealin

Etc. etc.

Of course, I'm not saying I wouldn't love to see some of those big hits in future games, I just thought it was cool to make the sequel a bit more obscure. Helped give the franchise some credibility as not just a bunch of hit singles that anyone could have picked out.

Edited by Zero

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate te slightly more obscure choices - I love Rock This Town, and not going for the obvious with some artists, like AiC, was definitely a smart move. It's just that, for the fun factor, like when I'm playing with/against housemates, 2 is the trickier option (despite having the better multiplayer modes) because they're not as into their music as I am and barely know half the tracks in the game - it was the first time one friend had even heard Killing In The Name (and yes, I did slap him for that).

I just checked the wikipedia entry and it says that the 360 version has The Trooper. What the fuck? One of the greatest rock/metal bands in history, and Maiden aren't on it until now? And as a 360 exclusive? GAY. It's not fair to have to shell out £70 for new tracks after paying £50 for the PS2 version.

I just checked the wikipedia entry and it says that the 360 version has The Trooper. What the fuck? One of the greatest rock/metal bands in history, and Maiden aren't on it until now? And as a 360 exclusive? GAY. It's not fair to have to shell out £70 for new tracks after paying £50 for the PS2 version.

Like I said above, I nerded out and bought the 360 version despite having two controllers and both games for PS2. I'd say it's worth it though, granted, I traded some things in to soften the price. 10 Exclusive songs, online leader boards, minor bugs worked out, plus Activision promising the most downloadable content of any game on the 360... seemed logical enough for me.

Brace yourself:

Guitar Hero 1 will cost you $100

Message boards are on fire for this, all over RedOctane's Contact Page and of course, the obligatory online petition.

The pricing is ri-goddamn-diculous. There's no excuse it should be that high when you could just as easily pick up the PS2 version for $40... and before anyone says "well then buy the PS2 version," that's not the point. Letting them nickel and dime you with this will just give them a license to do it again and again with prices getting higher and higher, completely ruining the point of downloadable content. Remember, this is how they got the prices of games jacked up for the PS3 and 360 - they released "special edition" PS2 and Xbox games at $60 and now all games are $60. Don't let yourself get bullied.

I bought the game based mainly on the downloadable content. If that is going to be the price for all of the song downloads, then fuck that. I'll just play the ones available, download Frets on Fire or some other PC version for free, and play new songs with the USB controller that came with the 360 version.

I just checked it out on XBOX Live. Each pack contains more then three songs, I am certain from the wording that each pack contains a bunch of songs, and each pack is 500 points, which is roughly $8 for each pack or $24 for all of them.

Also, the idea of 'Guitar Hero 1 costs $100' is flawed, because they're selling such smaller packs. It's like saying that, because a can of Coke costs $1 (for simplicity), a case of 6 of those 2L bottles costs $36. If they're giving you the option of only picking the songs you want to buy, they need to extract more profit.