The 2006 Academy "Gay Cowboy/Author/Knightley Ass" Awards

ROC

So, are me and Beaty the only ones watching the Oscars? I must say, the one part worth watching, Stewart's shizzle, is rather funny. Maybe not Chris Rock funny, but funny funny.

List of Winners to Edit In

Best Motion Picture of the Year

Not yet announced

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Not yet announced

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Not yet announced

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Winner: George Clooney for Syriana (2005)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Winner: Rachel Weisz for The Constant Gardener (2005)

Best Achievement in Directing

Not yet announced

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

Not yet announced

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

Not yet announced

Best Achievement in Cinematography

Not yet announced

Best Achievement in Editing

Not yet announced

Best Achievement in Art Direction

Winner: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - John Myhre, Gretchen Rau

Best Achievement in Costume Design

Winner: Memoirs of a Geisha (2005) - Colleen Atwood

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Not yet announced

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Not yet announced

Best Achievement in Makeup

Winner: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005) - Howard Berger, Tami Lane

Best Achievement in Sound

Not yet announced

Best Achievement in Sound Editing

Not yet announced

Best Achievement in Visual Effects

Winner: King Kong (2005) - Joe Letteri, Brian Van't Hul, Christian Rivers, Richard Taylor

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

Winner: Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005) - Steve Box, Nick Park

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Not yet announced

Best Documentary, Features

Winner: Marche de l'empereur, La (2005) - Luc Jacquet, Yves Darondeau

Best Documentary, Short Subjects

Winner: A Note of Triumph: The Golden Age of Norman Corwin (2005) - Corinne Marrinan, Eric Simonson

Best Short Film, Animated

Winner: The Moon and the Son (2005) - John Canemaker, Peggy Stern

Best Short Film, Live Action

Winner: Six Shooter (2005) - Martin McDonagh

Edited by just ROC...

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question before I go to bed and maybe turn this on, is Serenity up for any awards? If not, I may pass.

Ixnay on the Serenity, I'm afraid. Frankly, it should've gotten a nom for Best Visuals simply for the fact it was made with 4x less the budgets of King Kong and Narnia and held its own with those.

Pfft, not worth watching. It's annoying that films that don't do that well, but are 'critically acclaimed' seem to get over looked despite being better than 90% of the usual shit that Hollywood churns out. Serenity was the best film released in the past year bar none IMO.

Oh, and I'm of the opinion that should Brokeback Mountain win anything, it'll be because it's a gay film. Haven't seen the film, but since it came out that was the first thing I thought of. No matter how good it is. I'm probably talking BS and the film may deserve everything it may win.

I never really thought about it, but my friend, upon leaving the cinema, said that Brokeback Mountain was the most heterosexual film he'd ever seen.

More on-topic, I don't really rate the Oscars, or any awards ceremony, any more. It's just a "I'll scratch your back, you'll scratch mine" show at the best of times, and mutual masturbation of the rich and famous at worst.

EDIT: I do, for the most part, agree about Brokeback at the Oscars, though. That said, it deserves something for the cinematography.

Edited by Skumfrog

I never really thought about it, but my friend, upon leaving the cinema, said that Brokeback Mountain was the most heterosexual film he'd ever seen.

Edited by just ROC...

Yes, well seeing thay they're cowboys who meet and fuck women in bars (well, Gyllenhaal's character did) and kick other dude's asses...and there's as much female nudity as there is male...it does make sense.

Going even further than that, it's a really ancient Greek view of homosexuality, as manly, aggressive, and more a rite of passage than anything else.

I have only missed two I think, but in non-significant categories.

It's been ok thusfar, although I disagree with TMM and ROC with the Serenity thing. Maybe it should have been nom'd for visual, but it doesn't compare imo to Narnia or Kong, even though Kong sucked the category is for visuals.

It's been ok thusfar, although I disagree with TMM and ROC with the Serenity thing. Maybe it should have been nom'd for visual, but it doesn't compare imo to Narnia or Kong, even though Kong sucked the category is for visuals.

I dunno what I think it should win, but something. It easily blew Star Wars out of the water in every conceivable way (except the nostalgia feeling) and you just know Star Wars will win something. There should be a category that rewards films for being fresh, because Serenity was just that. It's getting annoying not actually seeing anything you haven't seen before in some form or another.

Well, it's more than that. You could also argue that Hollywood also needs to support more of its spectrum than just dramatic fodder. I mean, 40 Year Old Virgin also got mad acclaim (and money) this year, but not a single damn nod because it's a comedy, a genre Oscar only seems to support when it's something like Shakespeare in Love (i.e. a goddamn period piece).

Brokeback was overrated. I'm thrilled it's lost both awards thus far, although not because of any grudge but rather the fact that I found nothing overly impressive about the performances of Michelle Williams or Jake Gyllenhaal. Had Anne Hathaway gotten a nod, I might have been pulling for it. Good to see fresh blood like Rachel Weisz winning; could Keira be next?