Praise The Controller

Benji

So, I've been thinking, I've been playing Black and White and realised I can't be arsed playing it properly thanks to its fucked up camera system. I know Shaolin Monks is a mediocre game in general, but I love playing it for its unique fighting system and base. So I was thinking, can a bad control system effectively ruin, not just hamper, your playing enjoyment.

If I had to point out games I'd point to a lot of fighting games, the only fighting games I've played that I've actually enjoyed the system on is Bloody Roar, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, The Bouncer, Smackdown! and of course, Tekken.

I can't say I've ever been completely turned off by a control system on anything except fighting games, but a good control system (like Shaolin Monks) can make even the most average game pretty fun to play. So yeah, what are your favourite and most hated control systems and do you think it can make or break your game?

The only thing that really pisses me off about controls are the games that FORCE you to use the analogue sticks on the Playstation/PS2.

Apocalypse was a fucking awesome game, but it took me ages to finish it because of the damn analogue sticks.

Edited by TheReilDeal

i do realy realy love the KoC2 System, it´s so rediculess easy to get to an enormus amount of moves, and you do not need to learn it for every guy over again, the logic behind it is the same for every wrestler.

i don´t realy remember much hated games right now, sinc i don´t wast the rar time i have for gaming on them, i guss it could be something like diablo were you just rape that poor mousebutton or so. (i never had much love for the 30 seconds arcade fighting games aswell, but i do not think that this is a problem of the controlls alone)

The only thing that really pisses me off about controls are the games that FORCE you to use the analogue sticks on the Playstation/PS2.

Agreed, as well as games that force you to use the d-pad. Not because I'm bad with the analogue stick though. It's mainly because you get used to one and then have to switch. For example SDvsRAW you have to use D-pad (I think?) whereas in NBA Live or GTA etc you have to use analogue.

I'm not sure if this counts, but I really hate the change they made in the RCT series on PC. Even more so than I hate how they turned it 3D. The track builder and game in general is much more difficult to use.

I couldn't imagine using the analogue stick to do moves and that on SD, the d-pad is more direct.

Mind you, it'd make Hadokens that much easier just swinging the analogue stick from down to right, without shredding my thumbs.

Edited by Dragsy Twenty Seven

I'm not sure if this counts, but I really hate the change they made in the RCT series on PC. Even more so than I hate how they turned it 3D. The track builder and game in general is much more difficult to use.

Same with the sims. I much prefered the four point camera system of the first one

I dislike 24 for the mere fact that my two PS2 dualshock pads are fucked and thats all it seems to want to accept. Nothing wrong otherwise, but I wish I could use my old PS1 pad that has analog and at least works properly for most games :(

The camera system in Super Mario Sunshine was so ridiculously bullshit that Satan himself broke down in tears trying to play it. And I forget which one (Most likely all off them) but the Simpsons game where you drive around was crap too. The controls for the cars were rubbish, you either turned far too sharply or you didn't turn at all. If we're allowed to put games we're just bad at then Gran Turismo was crap too. I found it impossible to turn :(

The Getaway. Looks like such a great game, and the new one has a good storyline, but i just find the control system and the camera angles so awkward!

The Getaway is one of the worst games I've ever played. It might just be that I don't care if the game is mapped EXACTLY like London and "Look I can drive to my house lol!" but the game was shit. The controls were shit, the driving was shit, I can't even remember the story. Worst game ever.

Edited by Kaneanite

I have played games that sounded awesome - had amazing premises and awesome graphics - but stopped soon after starting due to frustration due to a horrible control scheme. Games that don't let you customize the controls suck balls.

I remember, there was some WCW game for the N64 that forced you to use the D-Pad, as the control stick was for taunting or something, and I remember at the time, I thought it was shit because that was pretty much the only game where you controled soley with the D-Pad.

I remember, there was some WCW game for the N64 that forced you to use the D-Pad, as the control stick was for taunting or something, and I remember at the time, I thought it was shit because that was pretty much the only game where you controled soley with the D-Pad.