World Cup 2006

Dan

Zidane had a running start, though, and it wouldn't surprise me if Materazzi were also moving forward. A collision like that, given the relative speeds, is enough to stagger Materazzi at the least. The bottom line, though, is that if Zidane did that in a non-football environment, he's getting arrested.

He didn't really have a 'running' start.

Anyone thinking that Materazzi 'dived' is just stupid.

And olskool, shut up with the technical crap, you get smashed in the chest it's going to hurt and there should be no arguing about Materazzi's reaction, bottom line whether it be wind knocked out or just one hell of a bump, it's pretty much the same thing in the chest.

Edited by alldawson

Zidane had a running start, though, and it wouldn't surprise me if Materazzi were also moving forward. A collision like that, given the relative speeds, is enough to stagger Materazzi at the least. The bottom line, though, is that if Zidane did that in a non-football environment, he's getting arrested.

He didn't really have a 'running' start.

Anyone thinking that Materazzi 'dived' is just stupid.

To say he dived is stupid, but admittedly I've seen people hit in the face with more force than that and not go down. Going down isn't an issue but you can argue that he realistically wouldn't have gone down if it wasn't on a football pitch, to win a free-kick, to get a reaction.

Glad he did go down if that's what it takes to make the official actually realise that Zidane has no right doing what he did. If it was someone like Gattuso who did it, we'd be seeing 'OMG THE BASTARD SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THE NEXT FIFTY MATCHES THAT DIRTY CHEATING CUNT'. Fuck Zidane, he ruined his final game by being an utter twat. Don't know what Materazzi said, maybe it was something bad, but run along and do something about it after the game, rather than headbutting someone in the World Cup final and letting every single fan of France down. Doesn't matter whether Materazzi went down easy or not, it was a headbutt and a red card, that simple, if Materazzi stood up and laughed, people would still find a reason to nitpick and call him a diving cunt as usual.

Hopefully we see some people slagging of Zidane for giving into this as well, after all I did see numerous people calling Rooney a hot headed cunt just for accidently stepping on a player and then slightly pushing Ronaldo in a harmless way. I like Zidane but he ruined his own night by being pathetic, if anybody is laughing now, it's the Italians :)

Glad he did go down if that's what it takes to make the official actually realise that Zidane has no right doing what he did. If it was someone like Gattuso who did it, we'd be seeing 'OMG THE BASTARD SHOULD BE BANNED FOR THE NEXT FIFTY MATCHES THAT DIRTY CHEATING CUNT'. Fuck Zidane, he ruined his final game by being an utter twat. Don't know what Materazzi said, maybe it was something bad, but run along and do something about it after the game, rather than headbutting someone in the World Cup final and letting every single fan of France down. Doesn't matter whether Materazzi went down easy or not, it was a headbutt and a red card, that simple, if Materazzi stood up and laughed, people would still find a reason to nitpick and call him a diving cunt as usual.

Hopefully we see some people slagging of Zidane for giving into this as well, after all I did see numerous people calling Rooney a hot headed cunt just for accidently stepping on a player and then slightly pushing Ronaldo in a harmless way. I like Zidane but he ruined his own night by being pathetic, if anybody is laughing now, it's the Italians :)

Bwahahaha, that was a brilliant headbutt. Sure, you could call Zidane a prick for costing his team the win, but let's face it, the World Cup is already a joke. If I was going to retire from international football, might as well send a message to FIFA while I'm at it.

Bwahahaha, that was a brilliant headbutt. Sure, you could call Zidane a prick for costing his team the win, but let's face it, the World Cup is already a joke. If I was going to retire from international football, might as well send a message to FIFA while I'm at it.

Edited by Lost Soul

How exactly is it a joke?

Edited by Gongsun Zan

My personal highlight of the night besides the headbutt (It was 'wrong', but it was obviously deserved. I wouldn't be surpised if a racial slur was used (I'm sure Materazzi's mouth moved as Zidane ran away) as Zindane seemed to be going away, but then turned back around) was after the match they cut to Marcel Desailly, who actually looked as though he was ready to kill someone.

I know Zidane can be hot headed, but he would not have done that in a world cup final, his last match, without feeling totally justified.

If you're going to lable something as a world-class competition, I'd expect a certain level of decency and sportsmanship. When throwing your face into the ground just to score a set piece becomes a viable tactic, any idea of sportsmanship is compromised. Personally, I beleive that FIFA should really consider post-match investigations and harder punishments on diving, as opposed to encouraging the mentality of 'It's ok if you don't get caught'

That I and feel that penalty shootouts are retarded, but that's debatable.