Ben Roethlisberger in Motorcycle Accident

Maxx

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, who last season became the youngest quarterback in NFL history to lead his team to a Super Bowl title, was injured Monday morning in a motorcycle accident and has been transported to a local hospital with head injuries of unspecified severity.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service, told The Associated Press.

ESPN.com's John Clayton reports that early indications are the injuries are not life-threatening.

Roethlisberger, the team's first-round choice in the 2004 draft, was transported to the trauma unit of nearby Mercy Hospital, a source confirmed for ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli, but his condition is unknown.

Witnesses told authorities that Roethlisberger's motorcycle collided with a car near a downtown intersection and that Roethlisberger's head hit the windshield and was bleeding. Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding.

Steelers officials have confirmed the accident, which occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reported that Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet. In previous interviews, Roethlisberger has said that he does not like wearing a helmet while wearing a motorcycle.

In the wake of a motorcycle accident sustained by Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow last spring, Roethlisberger spoke about his own fixation with motorcycles, and his penchant for riding without a helmet. He was admonished by former Steelers quarterback and Hall of Fame member Terry Bradshaw for potentially jeopardizing his career.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

One witness told KDKA television that Roethlisberger was conscious but appeared disoriented before he was taken from the scene to Mercy Hospital.

A Steelers spokesman is at the hospital and confirmed Roethlisberger is being treated there, but wouldn't provide additional details.

How awful.

I hope the motorcycle is okay.

Seriously, though, I can't stand the Steelers, but I hope his injury isn't life threatening or anything.

But anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot.

I wonder if he'll join the ranks of Jay Williams and Kellen Winslow Jr. in the I Fucked Up My Incredibly Promising Career Thanks to a Motorcyle Hall of Fame.

Though it looks like Williams might be leaving said group.

I make millions of dollars, and have the chance to make millions more, lets risk it all, along with my life cause I want to ride my motorcycle without a helmet!

God pro athletes are dumb.

Wonder if the driver that hit him was a Seahawks fan

Seriously, though, I can't stand the Steelers, but I hope his injury isn't life threatening or anything.

But anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet is an idiot.

Agreed. I didn't want the Steelers to win again, I don't like them. But, you don't wish for things like this to happen.

That and he's a dumbass for going without a helmet.

Update

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash Monday and underwent surgery.

Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition Monday afternoon, said Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital. The player's agent, Leigh Steinberg, described the injuries to The Associated Press and said he did not know if there was further damage.

In an official statement, the Pittsburgh Bureau of Police said Roethlisberger wasn't wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.

"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said before the operation. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, citing a police source, reported Roethlisberger also broke his left sinus cavity, suffered a 9-inch laceration to the back of his head, lost teeth and has knee injuries from hitting the pavement. A plastic surgeon has been called in, the source said.

Steelers president Art Rooney said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital.

"I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery," he said.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger likes to ride without a helmet, a habit that once prompted coach Bill Cowher to lecture him on the dangers.

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown at about 11:30 a.m. A pool of blood was still visible there by early afternoon.

Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were investigating the crash, something standard when there is an accident with critical injuries. Kraus would give no details on the extent of Roethlisberger's injuries or if anyone else was injured.

The accident occurred on Second Avenue near the intersection of 10th Street in Pittsburgh, around 11:30 a.m. The route is one often taken in traveling to the Steelers' facility in the Southside section of the city.

Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck. Police were detouring traffic around the crash scene as onlookers and media gathered.

One of his agents, Ryan Tollner, is in route to Pittsburgh for what was supposed to be a pre-planned trip and will arrive later Monday.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger became the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship. He was 23 when he did it last February.

Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Man, thank God he's alright. Big Ben is the reason I watch football. Well, no... But the Steelers have always been my favorite team since I first watched football and I've pretty much as hardcore of a Big Ben fan as you can get. Cowher gave him shit for this before and he was really lucky this time. Hopefully this knocks some sense into Ben.

Get well soon, Big Ben. We're gonna need you this season.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy

Its good to see he's alright, hopefully he makes a full recovery, gets healthy and gets back on the feild fairly soon. That and he starts wearing a damn helmet when he rides his motocycle.

And the Steelers learn the most important lesson of all, "thou shalt not fuck with Carson Palmer." Seriously though, I'm glad he's okay, but he's an idiot. He makes millions of dollars based off his athletic ability and he's lucky that he's even going to have the ability to walk again. Terry Bradshaw had it right, ride the thing when you retire dude. You don't work in an office, you are required to be able to move fast and have use of your limbs, at least put a fucking helmet on.

Who'd have thought, the guy who teams with the Bus would get taken out by a Chrysler?

And the Steelers learn the most important lesson of all, "thou shalt not fuck with Carson Palmer." Seriously though, I'm glad he's okay, but he's an idiot. He makes millions of dollars based off his athletic ability and he's lucky that he's even going to have the ability to walk again. Terry Bradshaw had it right, ride the thing when you retire dude. You don't work in an office, you are required to be able to move fast and have use of your limbs, at least put a fucking helmet on.

Who'd have thought, the guy who teams with the Bus would get taken out by a Chrysler?

I'm in the thinking that if you ride a goddamn motorcycle without a helmet why should I have any sympathy for you if you get in a wreck and get injured? Anyone with half a brain would realize motorcycles have zero protection in crashes and one of the most important things to keep protected would be your head. Let's also not forget this guy makes money off his limbs and all it would take is for a leg to be obliterated and he could not only fuck himself but the sports team that depend on him to bring money in.

That said, I can't wait for this season as I'll love it when the Steelers get put out early in the playoffs.

Whoever said that he didn't get that injured obviously missed the part of the story where he had 7 hours of facial surgery to fix his face which was essentially entirely broken.

Edited by Livid

Winslow was just injured for last season right? I always saw him as the Tight End version of Terell Owens, especially after his soldier comments from a couple years ago. I need more of that stupid stuff from the guy.

Whoever said that he didn't get that injured obviously missed the part of the story where he had 7 hours of facial surgery to fix his face which was essentially entirely broken.

Well consider the fact that it still could've been a lot worse (see: Williams, Jay) and then you have your answer.

From what I understand, he's still in serious condition, that's pretty... well, serious. And of course, they're not going to tell you the bad stuff yet because everyone's still unsure. If things were looking good, they'd be on TV saying, "he's fine, he'll be ready for the season." My guess (and of course I don't know shit) is he's out for at least half the season, and that's my optimistic side. My pessimistic side (or optimistic/asshole side as a Bengals fan) is his career's done. His face has been obliterated from what I understand; a seven inch gash in his head, all his teeth knocked out and a broken jaw, you don't just come back from that in three months.