Worst Covers Ever

9 to 5

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd kill for a speed\thrash metal cover of Barry Manilow's "I Write The Songs".

EVERYTHING Manilow has ever written that I've unfortunately been subjected to has been shit, and that would almost make up for it.

We need a Best Covers Ever thread, I think.....

I've never heard anyone cover Gordon Lightfoot other than the Stars On 54 version of "If You Could Read My Mind" (which was semi-decent), but I can't imagine anyone doing a really decent cover of any of his songs simply because of his voice. Although, I wouldn't mind hearing a rock (NOT Pop or Metal) version of Sundown.

Aurora did a fairly decent version of "If You Could Read My Mind", with Marcella Detroit on vocals, it works really well. Just stay away from the dance mix at all costs.

One bad cover that comes to mind:

Ugly Kid Joe's version of Cats' In The Cradle. If you've Harry Chapin perform it, then you know its hard to top the original because of the emotion in the voice and the fact that its believable that he could be the person in the song. A version by a semi-talented band with a singer in his 20's or so ain't gonna cut it.

I've never heard anyone cover Gordon Lightfoot other than the Stars On 54 version of "If You Could Read My Mind" (which was semi-decent), but I can't imagine anyone doing a really decent cover of any of his songs simply because of his voice. Although, I wouldn't mind hearing a rock (NOT Pop or Metal) version of Sundown.

I'm still pissed at Mariah Carey for doing a really shitty cover of Def Leppard's "Bringin' On The Heartbreak", and lost a LOT of respect for Dave Navarro as a musician for playing on it. It was bad enough that he played on Sean `whatever the fuck he's calling himself this year' Combs' lame-ass song "Bad Boys 4 Life".....

If you're a Def Leppard fan and have never heard it....AVOID LISTENING TO IT AT ALL COSTS!!

Yeah, WASP definately did it. It's on the Best of the Best 1984-2000 album, and probably somewhere else as well.

According to the linear notes, it was recorded in 1999, but doesn't seem to be on any of their albums. It was either a B-Side or done just for this collection.

Ah. Well, I bet Blackie Lawless does an awesome job with the vocals, unless they totally fucked it up by adding a lot of screaming and shit.

Dude, Def Leppard fucking blow anyway.

Hair metal at its finest, and by "finest", I mean "worst".

I'd take Bret Michaels & Poison over that shit.

G'n'R - Knocking on Heaven's Door

Get out, now. That cover rocks.

And I personall HATE Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams", but I'm sure that's heretical to say.

You're right, it is heretical. You can also get out.

However, Limp Bizkit's 'Behind Blue Eyes' is fucking atrocious.

I can understand why some people don't like it, but that cover rocks.

I knew I wasn't the only one who actually liked the Nickelback/Kid Rock cover of "Saturday Night's Alright".

As for the covers, I'd mention the Carey and Spears covers, but they've been mentioned so I'll mention a small travesty: Dolly Parton covering Collective Soul's "Shine". Now, don't get me wrong. When done right, country singers (read: Johnny Cash) can make a rock song sound fantastic...but not Dolly Parton. Jesus, not Dolly Parton.

I knew I wasn't the only one who actually liked the Nickelback/Kid Rock cover of "Saturday Night's Alright".

As for the covers, I'd mention the Carey and Spears covers, but they've been mentioned so I'll mention a small travesty: Dolly Parton covering Collective Soul's "Shine". Now, don't get me wrong. When done right, country singers (read: Johnny Cash) can make a rock song sound fantastic...but not Dolly Parton. Jesus, not Dolly Parton.

I think Therion's cover of Running Wild's "Under Jolly Roger" is redundant. It's not a TERRIBLE cover by any means, but if you have heard the original, Therion just come off as cold, liveless hacks without emotion.

Whoever said that Arch Enemy did a bad cover of "Aces High", you should get raped in the face. Amott's vocals are AWESOME on that song, and I believe it was the first time in like five years that I have enjoyed an Iron Maiden song.

Dark Funeral did an attrocious cover of Slayer's "Dead Skin Mask". They didn't alter the playing any, but replaced the vocals with black metal shrieking... Done extremely badly because the song is so much slower than a standard Dark Funeral track. Add to that a COMPLETELY unneeded female backup singer that pops up about two thirds into the song and spends half the time yelling completely inane stuff and you have a teeth-grinding bomb on your hands.