Top 10 Video Game Weapons

Liam

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have thrown my controller in anger because of that infernal red shell, and I have cheered and jumped from my couch because of it.

So it deserves it spot. Bomberman's bombs should also be on there.

I have thrown my controller in anger because of that infernal red shell, and I have cheered and jumped from my couch because of it.

Very few games beat the feeling of when you are in 2nd place, coming up to the finishing stretch and are in sight of the leader. Get a box, red shell and just as they head into the home straight, you knock them dead with a homing shell and grab the victory.

Then....nothing hurts as much as the moment you are literally seconds from crossing the line in the lead.....and you get hit, spin and finish 3rd.

The red shell deserves all its accolades and more.

It's not a COOL weapon, though. It's a turtle shell. It's even got a counterpart in the same game (green, non-homing shell), whereas none of the other weapons have comparable alternatives in the same game. (I'm not saying it's a close comparison, but the point stands that there's no BFG 8000 in Doom, etc.)

Yeah, but it is the relative multiplayer power that the red shell has that gets it such a high placing. Some of the games don't have multi-player, which kinda kneecaps them, but the pure ability to be able to lourd it over a friend due to the use of a certain weapon makes it pretty powerful, irrelevant of exactly what it is.

It just happens to be a red shell...

The red shell is helped by being in such a big game. Everyone has played Mario Kart in one fashion or another. Whist I agree like with the laptop gun In Perfect Dark (a personal fave of mine) is very cool and useful, no other weapon aside the red shell in a game has ever provoked reactions like it.

It really is a winning or losing weapon in a game. Many weapons are cool or have great effects but nothing comes as close to the vital usage of the red shell either for or against you. Especially if you have mates.

The spead gun in Contra is a tad risky. I realize it's low on the list, but isn't that a powerup and therefore automatically disqualified? If so, replace that with the Syphon Filter taser. Nothing like setting people on fire with a taser.

I can think of four weapons I'd have on the list, if PC games were being considered:

(These are in no particular order, except #1)

1. The Redeemer - Unreal Tournament - sure, it only has 1 round of ammo, but....ITS A REMOTE CONTROLLED NUCLEAR MISSILE!

2. The Freezer - Duke Nukem 3D - Who doesn't love a weapon that lets you do one of Sub-Zero's fatalities on just about every enemy you hit with it?

3. Rail Detonator - Star Wars Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight - Fuck the Quake Rail Gun. Seriously. This rail gun is MUCH better, because its secondary function caused a round of ammo to stick to a surface or victim then detonate a few seconds later. Good for traps or to fuck up people in PvP.

4. The Devastator - Duke Nukem 3D - A multi-rocket launcher.

You just don't get it though, do you? It isn't about how many explosions the weapon causes, or how cool the death scenes are or stuff like that, it is all about relative power and relative importance, and the red shell should easily be up there. 9 to 5 put it the best earlier -

It really is a winning or losing weapon in a game. Many weapons are cool or have great effects but nothing comes as close to the vital usage of the red shell either for or against you. Especially if you have mates.

I'd take beating my mate who was in the lead for the whole race on the last straight with one well-timed red shell shot to generic "OMG HE BLOWED UP" type killings and type weapons as they don't provoke the same reaction and are pretty much everywhere....the thing at least recognises some of the more unique weapons, but c'mon, you are pulling for mines and C4 that are pretty much a dime a dozen in those kinda games?

Considering the reaction to the red shell, I'm surprised people didn't complain about the chainsaw, as there are definitely no flashy effects or explosions when that is used >_>

You just don't get it though, do you? It isn't about how many explosions the weapon causes, or how cool the death scenes are or stuff like that, it is all about relative power and relative importance, and the red shell should easily be up there. 9 to 5 put it the best earlier -

I'd take beating my mate who was in the lead for the whole race on the last straight with one well-timed red shell shot to generic "OMG HE BLOWED UP" type killings and type weapons as they don't provoke the same reaction and are pretty much everywhere....the thing at least recognises some of the more unique weapons, but c'mon, you are pulling for mines and C4 that are pretty much a dime a dozen in those kinda games?

Considering the reaction to the red shell, I'm surprised people didn't complain about the chainsaw, as there are definitely no flashy effects or explosions when that is used >_>

I don't think you understand that some people don't generally care about the red shell. I played Mario Kart a lot on both SNES and N64 with friends, and it was never that big of a thing.

I don't think you understand that some people don't generally care about the red shell. I played Mario Kart a lot on both SNES and N64 with friends, and it was never that big of a thing.

Yeah, I get that but people seem to blow it off as "just another weapon", when I think it places rightfully highly on these kinda things....especially since FPS weapons are over-represented already.

The Red Tutle Shell is god tier. There is nothing like firing a well timed and planned shot into your opponent sending him from first place to fourth in just a matter of seconds.

Edited by Riceman 4K

I'm with Liam, the turtle shells are something completely different than the generic FPS weapons. Sure mines, bfg's, rocket launchers, and etc. are badass, but you don't see turtle shells in any game other than the mario series.