The Comic Book Thread (spoilers)

Your Mom

I recently finished the first graphic novel for Preacher, and it's the best fucking comic I've ever read. I can't wait to get the rest of the series, it was an absolute joy to read.

I think it's one of the greatest comic series ever (perhaps better than the much-lauded Sandman, IMHO) and never jumps the shark either. Just a solid run to its conclusion. I wholeheartedly recommend reading all of the trade paperbacks in order. Just don't skip ahead. There are some serious mindfucks that need to be read in sequence to truly appreciate and after being spoilered it'd be kinda like trying to put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Definitely second TGC's recommendation of Green Arrow The Longbow Hunters. Its some of Mike Grell's best work, and I have a signed copy of issue #1 (Got it signed at a convention here back then).

For JLA, if you can spare the cash, I highly recommend picking up a copy of issue #200 of the original Justice League of America series if you can find one. Its well worth the money, and has art by a lot of classic artists as well as a damn fine story (that ties into the team's Silver Age origin). The Tower of Babel arc from the JLA series is supposed to be pretty good; I've never read it, but its on my list of stories I plan to eventually. The Obsidian Age is also an arc I've heard good things about, but its on my `maybe' list.

Right now, the only TPBs I'm dropping cash for is The Batman Chronicles. I only have the first two volumes, and #7 just came out recently. (Amazon has them for cheaper than cover, with free Super Saver shipping on them - or did last time I looked, anyway) You might want to consider getting those, since they're the very first Batman stories and include the first appearances of several of his arch-enemies. #1 is a definite must-have, in my opinion, since it has Batman and Robin's first appearances, as well as the first two Joker stories, the first appearance (sort of) of Catwoman (she's not in costume and is just called `The Cat'), the first appearance of Professor Hugo Strange, and the original two-parter with The Monk.

Definitely second TGC's recommendation of Green Arrow The Longbow Hunters. Its some of Mike Grell's best work, and I have a signed copy of issue #1 (Got it signed at a convention here back then).

For JLA, if you can spare the cash, I highly recommend picking up a copy of issue #200 of the original Justice League of America series if you can find one. Its well worth the money, and has art by a lot of classic artists as well as a damn fine story (that ties into the team's Silver Age origin). The Tower of Babel arc from the JLA series is supposed to be pretty good; I've never read it, but its on my list of stories I plan to eventually. The Obsidian Age is also an arc I've heard good things about, but its on my `maybe' list.

Right now, the only TPBs I'm dropping cash for is The Batman Chronicles. I only have the first two volumes, and #7 just came out recently. (Amazon has them for cheaper than cover, with free Super Saver shipping on them - or did last time I looked, anyway) You might want to consider getting those, since they're the very first Batman stories and include the first appearances of several of his arch-enemies. #1 is a definite must-have, in my opinion, since it has Batman and Robin's first appearances, as well as the first two Joker stories, the first appearance (sort of) of Catwoman (she's not in costume and is just called `The Cat'), the first appearance of Professor Hugo Strange, and the original two-parter with The Monk.

The Obsidian Age, written by Joe Kelly, is horrible IMO.

I've gotten access to the Spider-Man books after the Brand New Day thing. I haven't read them yet, but I'm collecting them to eventually read them. I have, however, read the last one, issue 590, because the first page really caught my eye. And I am happy to see that apparently

they're FINALLY addressing the theme of "Why can't I remember who you are anymore?".

What are your thoughts on this?

I've gotten access to the Spider-Man books after the Brand New Day thing. I haven't read them yet, but I'm collecting them to eventually read them. I have, however, read the last one, issue 590, because the first page really caught my eye. And I am happy to see that apparently

they're FINALLY addressing the theme of "Why can't I remember who you are anymore?".

What are your thoughts on this?

The fact it's taken that long is stupid and I refuse to read anything but Ultimate Spider-Man until the entire angle is dropped (that's not to say I want them to press reset again, I just want them to stop telling stories extended from it), yes, it's a fanboy reaction, no, I don't care, I'm not missing out on anything.

Since you mentioned Ultimate Spider-Man, what are your thoughts on the current Ultimate universe direction? I have only heard rumors, nothing substantial, that this whole Ultimatum crap (while it's providing good shock value, that's just it - pure shock value with all the deaths) is their way to end the Ultimate universe. Does anyone know anything about it?

In spoiler tags, if needed, who's been killed in that universe latley? I mean out of the superhero's with name value.

From the top of my head:

-Daredevil has been seen dead in Spider-Man issues

-Wasp, Hank Pym and apparently Thor (Thor traded his soul for Valkyrie's

-Professor X, Nightcrawler, Dazzler

-Doctor Strange is also possibly dead, since his house was destroyed and demons were coming out of it

On the villains side:

-Blob

-Madrox

-Juggernaut

There may be more, but those are the ones I remember.

:o

NOT DR. STRANGE :(:(:(:(:(

Like I said, it's possible he's not dead, he wasn't actually seen dead and he's on the cover of Ultimatum #4, if I'm not mistaken. Although

Daredevil

WAS seen dead, and he's on the cover too, so your guess is as good as mine.

In relation to main Spideyverse:

Like I said earlier I've been enjoying the stories to come out following BND(Character Assassination was a really fun Spidey story) but, because of this I'm a little worried about trying to explain the monster they created with the Mephisto deal. The first part of the story(#590) was decent, I'm not really a fan of these types of team-ups because they always kind of feel like one-off filler issues but with the "Why don't we remember him?" thing going on and the stuff between Johnny and Parker, it's a little more interesting. Fingers crossed they don't dig themselves in deeper with what goes for continuity that it seeps into the ongoing stories. I'm happy enough with the things they've got going already.

Edited by Boogey131

Well, its looking like I may not be dropping Batman, after all. Judd Winnick is taking over the writing once Battle For The Cowl is over with. Whether or not I dump it depends on who the new Batman is - if its Jason Todd, I'm gone! (I'm expecting it to be Dick Grayson, since they cancelled Nightwing)

Glad they gave Morrison and Quitely that new Batman and Robin series, instead. I don't like Quitely's artwork much (his work for Marvel was just plain horrible, in my opinion), and Morrison's writing on Batman has been less than stellar.

I've been playing Mortal Kombat vs DC recently and was wondering is Deathstroke just a copy of Deadpool or vice-versa?

Deathstroke has been around since 1980. Deadpool has only been around since 1991. And yes, Deadpool is a rip-off of Deathstroke. The fact one is named Slade Wilson and the other is named Wade Wilson is a pretty strong clue.

'Cept Deadpool is so much fucking cooler.

Anyway, anyone read Black Summer by Warren Ellis? It seems rad as fuck, and it's Warren Ellis, so even more reason to read it in my mind.

Basic premise is that this dude named John Horus (a superhero) assassinates the president and his advisers for what he considers war crimes. The following issues deal with the fallout. So yeah, it seems like a deconstruction of vigilantism at its best hopefully.

As much as I didn't love the status quo after Civil War, I understood it was an attempt to tell new stories, and stuff like Avengers: the Initiative was a great way to showcase new and forgotten characters.

But God, this Dark Avengers stuff is horrible. I know I can put my head down for a year and things will go back to normal, but the stories being produced by this are just awful. What makes it even worse is the thinly veiled condemnation of the media and the government, both about 4 years after it would've been culturally relevant.

I loved the original Thunderbolts concept because it explored the effects of villains acting like heroes, and Baron Zemo was presented as this great strategist. Norman Osborn is portrayed either as a government toady or a psychopathic megolomaniac, and is apparently supposed to be a wildly popular national hero? Because the media wouldn't investigate Osborn's record as an evil industrialist or an insane super villain. Then there's the fact that the Dark Avengers whole bit is that they dress like existing characters. It's just bad, and I want to move on already.

OK, Spider-man spoilers:

So he unmasked to the Fantastic Four. OK, so far so good, they're his best friends, hero-wise. However, he said that when he unmasked, they'd remember everything about him, right? So... doesn't that directly contradicts what happened in New Avengers? I mean, he unmasked, but as apparent by their reactions, they didn't know who he was. And what about MJ? Do they remember her?

Agh. What a mess.