Final Fantasy X

Benji

So, me and Ollie have decided that today we're both going to start playing Final Fantasy X again (by happy coincidence we both were anyway), so we were going to discuss it between us, but thought it would be far more interesting if we got as many of EWB involved as possible, therefore I welcome you to EWB's First Mass Gaming Discussion on...

Final Fantasy X

Everyone can move at their own pace, get tips from other members and the such, it's all a group thing, just a note though so people playing for the first time don't get ruined, whenever you reveal a piece of the plot, please point out where you are up to and then insert spoiler tags. For example (don't worry, it won't ruin anything major)...

At the very start...

Tidus gets 'sucked into' Sin.

So yeah, I intend to start playing later today, please feel free to join in and I look forward to discussion tonight! Please though, do start a new game for this rather than going from an old save (unless it's near the begining) so we can keep discussion somewhat in flow. Thanks in advance and here we go..!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just gonna fire up the Playstation now. It's been a long while since I played, and I only ever got to the Calm lands, so in a couple of weeks when I get to there and beyond it'll all be a mystery for me, and I honestly can't wait. I do have a save game from just after Luca at the Mi'ihen Highroad, but I'll be starting from the very beginning, because what the hell - it'll be way more fun. =]

Have fun everyone, I'm really looking forward to having some great dicussion on the fantastic game, and I'm sure we've all got different views and opinions on some of the deeper aspects of the game.

Happy gaming. =]

Edit: Haha! By way of another great coincidence, if you all go over to wiki, you'll see that today's featured article is actually Final Fantasy X. How very bizarre!

Edited by Ollie Beak

Facing Geosgaeno (the very big fish near the start) makes me remember how annoyed I was when I first discovered that you can't beat him, and are just supposed to let him hurt you until the cut scene breaks in. I used up ALL of my potions trying to stay alive the first time I did that. <_<

Right, so finally got started, and I'll throw in some initial thoughts before I really get playing.

Using the basic sphere grid, I never liked the bigger one, it seemed as though all the characters just meshed together, whereas the simpler one allows people to go on a direct path ompletley unique to that character.

Kept the name 'Tidus', because a) I've never liked changing names and b) I couldn't think of anything. Plus Tidus is a pretty cool name, nothing great but it suits the character.

The beginning is awesome, and as Benji said - that FMV is very intense, the music is great and the shot of Auron looking onto Sin is damned beautiful!

Something I've noticed throughot FFs is that the lead character always falls a very long distance but just shrugs it off - the prime example being in VII after you kill the second boss and Cloud falls from the reactor to the slums, going through a church in the process, yet he's cool with that.

I was just thinking that about the fall thing.

I think what really makes FFX special is how it slowly builds you into the game, you're guaranteed to survive until at least Klikk unless you're ridiculously terrible, the game gently eases you into actually being at risk. Of course, on the tenth or so time through you end up getting awfully annoyed, I wish I could just skip to Besaid already.

Oh and by the way, it's probably best to start spoiler tags from Besaid. Meanwhile, here comes my Klikk battle. Tip, don't waste anything like an overdrive or items, just keep attacking because when an event happens, Klikk's HP goes back up to 100% again making your efforts null and void.

EDIT: Fuck it, I decided to restart with standard grid, I'd prefer a 'locked in' system for this game.

Edited by Benji O' Doom~!

I chose the Expert Sphere Grid, now to watch what was the most confusing intro ever when I first saw it and get into the basics again :)

Good call. Going with the basic one means everyone's locked into the roles the game gives them; this way, you've got control.

I just switched back to standard before you said that, I wanted a locked in game, it's been a while since I've done one.

EDIT: In fact, I'm just going to review what is the better choice for me a moment, I'll give suggestions to everyone else if they'd like.

Edited by Benji O' Doom~!

I chose the Expert Sphere Grid, now to watch what was the most confusing intro ever when I first saw it and get into the basics again :)

Good call. Going with the basic one means everyone's locked into the roles the game gives them; this way, you've got control.

Indeed. In my last game I made Yuna my uber mage of all varieties, white and black, effectively ditching Lulu. Not sure if I'll do the same this time, just see how it goes...

And I've got to Besaid, so spoilers I guess...

I love the constant reuse of the "Sin's Toxin" excuse to explain away every little faux pas Tidus makes. People in Spira are so gullible. >_>

Edited by stokeriño

I just counted them up and the Expert grid has about FIFTY fewer nodes than the standard grid, I don't need to care about making one character two things, you can switch out without wasting a turn anyway you foolies :P

So yeah, I heartilly recomend the standard grid.

you can switch out without wasting a turn anyway you foolies :P

Why bother? It means I don't have a hassle if, say, I've hasted Yuna then have to bring Lulu in and haste her too. Plus giving one character a double share of playing = double pointage in the same time.