Has the Joker been cast for the Batman sequel?

Maxx

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a major Batman fan, and all I gotta say is.......ugh. I agree with CKN that Adrian Brody would be a good choice. So would Edward Norton *. Hell, I'd even say Jake Gyllenhall (or however the heck you spell his name) would make a better Joker than Heath Ledger.

If I was going to cast Heath Ledger as a Batman villain, it would be Two-Face. I think he could pull off that role a LOT better than he could the Joker.

But, I look at it this way: it could have been worse. They could have cast David Schwimmer as the Joker. :thumbsdown:

* I think Edward Norton would make a fine Joker, Two-Face or Riddler, and he's the only actor I can think of at the moment who I believe would work in any of those 3 roles.

Edited by A-Dub

They'll never top Jack, so why even try?

Jack Nicholson gave an entertaining performance but it really wouldn't be that hard to top. Hell, Mark Hamill did it five years later.

Guest Takayamanofear

Jack Nicholson gave an entertaining performance but it really wouldn't be that hard to top. Hell, Mark Hamill did it five years later.

Did Hamill ever do the Joker in anything besides the animated roles? If not than its really not hard to show character in animation considering you don't have to really act that much.

At what point do you "not have to act that much" in voice acting? I fail to see how the inability to see the actual facial expressions and actions in and of themselves equates to not having to ACT.

Guest Takayamanofear

Yeah, that’s why its called voice acting, Acting is a performance. They are different arts both take a different set of skill. If you go to a Broadway play, would you expect the people to read from a script? No you want a show that is where the acting comes in. Otherwise you are telling a night time story.

Hamill does not fit the role of the Joker, he did well in the voice acting but you can also say he would make a good wolverine because he did the voice acting for the video game. I would like to point out I do not like Jack Nicholson all that much I thought he did a good job. I just don't get the Mark Hamill thing.

I like Ledger as an actor, but I don't think I have ever seen him in a role with a character so strange, comedic and demented. He could do well, or he could fall on his face.

Maybe the casting people saw something from Ledger that really made them think he could work, or maybe they are going to go in a different direction with the character?

I have absolutely no idea who should really play The Joker in this film... I liked Batman 89, even though it kind of scared me when I was little. I didn't think Jack Nicholson was terrible... but he wasn't great either. And I never understood the ending of that film with that green bag... and that "broken record" laugh.... Perhaps he was laughing at Batman and Vicki hanging there.

I'M JUST SO GLAD THEY'VE GOT THE JOKER IN ANOTHER FILM!

But anyone who has watched Neighbours knows that Paul Robinson (Stephen something or other) would make a great Joker :lmao:

sorry for going off topic a bit :D

Edited by andrethegiantstopfan

• 2 weeks later...

BURBANK, CA, 31 July 2006 - As a follow up to last year's blockbuster Batman Begins, Christopher Nolan is set to direct Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight, written by Jonathan Nolan, based on a story by Christopher Nolan and David Goyer. The film will be produced by Emma Thomas, Charles Roven and Christopher Nolan. Additionally, Christian Bale will resume his role as Bruce Wayne and Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger has been cast as The Joker. The announcements were made today by Jeff Robinov, President of Production, Warner Bros. Pictures.

Christopher Nolan revamped the Batman franchise in 2005 with the immensely successful Batman Begins, starring Christian Bale in the title role, which chronicled the early years of the superhero. Nolan first garnered attention from critics and fans in 2000 with the groundbreaking drama Memento, which he wrote and directed. He went on to direct the thriller Insomnia, starring Al Pacino and Robin Williams, and recently wrapped production on The Prestige, with Hugh Jackman and Bale.

Bale was most recently seen in the ensemble cast of Terrence Malick's The New World. His other credits include Little Women, Portrait of a Lady, Metroland, American Psycho, Laurel Canyon and Steven Spielberg's Empire of the Sun, which was his first starring role.

Ledger most recently earned Oscar Golden Globe, BAFTA and SAG Award nominations and won the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Actor for his portrayal of Ennis Del Mar in the award-winning drama Brokeback Mountain. His other credits include Casanova, Monster's Ball, Lords of Dogtown, The Brothers Grimm and The Patriot.

"Chris' unique vision is what made Batman Begins such an outstanding film and we could not imagine anyone else at the helm of The Dark Knight," said Robinov. "We also can't wait to see two such formidable actors as Christian and Heath face off with each other as Batman and The Joker."

"I'm excited to continue the story we started with Batman Begins," added Nolan. "Our challenge in casting The Joker was to find an actor who is not just extraordinarily talented but fearless. Watching Heath Ledger's interpretation of this iconic character taking on Christian Bale's Batman is going to be incredible."

Production is set to begin on The Dark Knight in early 2007.

Awwww Heath Ledger :(

Still, Nolan got it all right last time around...

As long as the producers weren't the ones to force an "Oscar Nominated!" actor into it. I loved the Brit-heavy casting in Begins!

Is Cillian Murphy back? Apparantly in the comics Scarecrow keeps returning throughout becoming stronger and more powerful every time...

Ledger's someone with the ability to make the Joker the dark, sadist that he should be. I'm glad they didn't get someone who is "wacky" to play the part since it would totally kill the Nolan universe. If Nolan, as reported, made this decision on his own I have nothing but complete faith in Ledger. I'm just glad we won't be seeing a Nicholson version 2 and instead a new take on the character.

Now, what background do they use for the Joker? And how many more movies will he be in?

As long as the producers weren't the ones to force an "Oscar Nominated!" actor into it. I loved the Brit-heavy casting in Begins!

Is Cillian Murphy back? Apparantly in the comics Scarecrow keeps returning throughout becoming stronger and more powerful every time...

Edited by CKN

Wikipedia Says:

Scarecrow

Cillian Murphy, who portrayed the Scarecrow in Batman Begins, has expressed interest on returning. However, Murphy does not know if he will reprise his role, though he is signed on for possible sequels.

I have heard rumours that he might have a small part in the next movie but won't have as big a role until a possible third movie. Hopefully he returns as he is in my list of top five favorite actors. :wub:

Now what I think we should all worry about is that now Ledger is Joker is that the possible people to play Harvey Dent/Two Face could be rigged :shifty:

Wikipedia Says:

Harvey Dent

Based on what screenwriter Goyer told Premiere magazine, Harvey Dent is expected to to be introduced in the sequel. Actors rumored for the role include: Jake Gyllenhaal, Josh Lucas.

I am still looking forward to the sequel as I am a huge Batman fan and Batman Begins was amazing and topped the orginal four movies imo.

Dude, Begins was the hands down the best comic book movie ever. I mean it was true to canon, it wasn't campy, and it had some stellar directing and acting.

And about Dent:

He has to be introduced in The Dark Knight. He and Batman are friends in this one and go after the Joker. Likely at the start of the 3rd film will be Joker's trial, during which the poison aimed for the Joker hits Dent bringing out his multiple personalities as well as scarring his face. I'm curious when, and if, they'll have Joker get out of Arkham thanks to Harley Quinn.