Needing "effort" to enjoy a band?

Liam

This is something I meant to ask a little while ago, but never got around to it.

Basically, I read a review on someone's album (can't remember who) where the reviewer said something akin to "with a little effort from the listener, they will find....yadda yadda yadda". I've also heard people mention stuff like that in other aspects, so thought I'd broach some questions.

Do you think some music DOES need the listener to make an effort to appreciate it, or do you think good music is good music is good music, and a listener shouldn't need to almost force themselves to appreciate it? Are there any bands that you think specifically highlight this concept if you believe it is necessary?

I dunno if this totally makes sense, but yeah, worth a try.

Yes, some music does. I seem to say that quite a bit, but I'm not really saying that the listener should force themselves to like it. It's just that some artists or bands, do not have a 'glossy' sound, they seem a little disjointed and for first time listeners don't seem all that attractive. Prime examples for me are The Mars Volta. The first time I listened to TMV I was totally bewildered. Drawing from a film, it was the Napoleon Dynamite experience of "Was that the greatest thing I've seen/heard, or was it the worst? I can't tell" (Not THE greatest, but you probably get the point). It took me a few listens before I could actually appreciate it. I use it mostly with bands that don't seem all that pretty on the ear, or bands that seem a bit weird, or are different to what people expect. Another example is A Wilhelm Scream. Whilst there's nothing overtly weird about them. The main focus on the band seems to be the everchanging riffs (Especially in Mute Print, their songs seemed to follow more of a pattern on Ruiner...the first time you here it you can be a little confused...like "Where did the chorus go?...but listen to it again and you find yourself really getting into it...but again I'm sure there's better examples than AWS to highlight this."). The easiest way to sum it up is "If Skumfrog listens to it...listen to it a few times to appreciate it". :shifty:

I don't know if I believe in effort being needed to enjoy the music. I've generally found that when I make an effort to enjoy something I shouldn't bother with it. Maybe it's just me but when certain music hits my ear I can guage if I want to find more of it or if I want to throw it in the trash heap.

The Reatards are a classic example, a lot of the so called garage punker types herald them as the second coming of Jesus. When I checked them out I expected something great, instead I got paint by numbers garage rock with a little more distortion. After listening I considered giving them a second chance, but said to hell with it. If I had enjoyed them I would have sought out more, but I didn't want to force myself into enjoying something.

BillyGunn's Napoleon Dynamite analogy was actually a very good point. There have been bands where you think "Is this terrible, or do I love it?". If I think that, typically I'll go back and check the group out again to sort of explore more of their music. But as I said earlier, if the music doesn't create some sort of interest in my ear than to hell with it.

So in short, if it takes effort to enjoy music, wipe your ass with it.

I think sometimes, yes, it does take some effort to enjoy a band. For example, sometimes I find listening to any sort of extreme metal quite an arduous task, but it does seem worth the effort.

I do think you could just listen to all music, yeah, but it's putting in that extra effort that can make you find something else you love, or that makes you think 'that's fucking insane'.

Broken Social Scene is very much like that. If you just want to listen to them, go for it, you can easily, and it's very enjoyable to. But if you listen well - preferably through some good headphones - then you can really hear everything going on, and notice the little things that are further down the mix.

I've never had to exert any sort of effort to get into a band, as in I've never sat myself down and tried to prevail with a CD or band. Even the more progressive stuff I listen to like Sikth, Aconite Thrill, Opeth, DEP or Meshuggah seems to flow, but maybe that's because I've studied music for years and can follow the timing changes etc.

I can relate to later finding stuff on CDs that you missed on the first listen, if that's what he meant.

Guest muddatrucker

Firstly, I've of said no, but sometimes I 'buy' an album and can't be bothered to listen to the songs I haven't heard, I find the best way is to play it as background music and try not to think about it too much, then eventually I can gain an opinion on it without sitting there and thinking too hard about it.

But if I download a track and I don't like it, I'd rarely download another track from that band, I mean if the band can't grip me with the chance they had, they've failed.

I think there are a lot of bands like that. Pink Floyd, to me, requires work to enjoy. I cannot enjoy Floyd while driving to work and hearing one of their songs on the radio. However, if I set aside some time and listen to Floyd in the proper setting, then it's amazing music.

The first time I heard The Mars Volta I was freaked out by Cedric's voice. A few years later, they're my favorite band. It took alot of sit-down and listen sessions.

That's really the only band that I've ever had trouble getting into.

I don't think having to put in effort to enjoy a band should be a necessity, as some bands you just want to be able to put on and enjoy straight away, but there's plenty of bands that, from the first listen, I hated, but I now absolutely adore (The Smiths, Television Personalities and Daniel Johnston are fine examples of this). If I'd gone with my gut instinct and first impression, I wouldn't have got into half the music I like now, nor would I be half the person I am now.

Also, some albums (Final Fantasy's "He Poos Clouds", for example) are very rewarding to those who put in the effort, I find. At first, it seems impenetrable, and while a good album, far from a masterpiece, or anything you can really relate to. The more you read into it, or the more you figure out just through listening to it, the more beautiful and amazing it becomes.

I think, like any artform, a lot of music requires some effort to get into. Just like some television shows require you to watch more than one episode before you really get into it, like some movies are better the second time round, like some paintings look much better after closer examination, or like some books spark your imagination so much more on the second read, some music requires you to put the effort in, or to give it a few listens. I don't think that's a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination.

Broken Social Scene is very much like that. If you just want to listen to them, go for it, you can easily, and it's very enjoyable to. But if you listen well - preferably through some good headphones - then you can really hear everything going on, and notice the little things that are further down the mix.

A fantastic example. When I first heard "Anthems For A Seventeen Year-Old Girl", it kind of washed over me, and I used it as background noise, really, and never listened to it again. But I heard it played in a coffee shop months and months later, instantly knew that I'd heard it before somewhere, and went home to look for it. From then on, I found that song mindblowingly beautiful.

I don't think having to put in effort to enjoy a band should be a necessity, as some bands you just want to be able to put on and enjoy straight away, but there's plenty of bands that, from the first listen, I hated, but I now absolutely adore (The Smiths, Television Personalities and Daniel Johnston are fine examples of this). If I'd gone with my gut instinct and first impression, I wouldn't have got into half the music I like now, nor would I be half the person I am now.

Also, some albums (Final Fantasy's "He Poos Clouds", for example) are very rewarding to those who put in the effort, I find. At first, it seems impenetrable, and while a good album, far from a masterpiece, or anything you can really relate to. The more you read into it, or the more you figure out just through listening to it, the more beautiful and amazing it becomes.

I think, like any artform, a lot of music requires some effort to get into. Just like some television shows require you to watch more than one episode before you really get into it, like some movies are better the second time round, like some paintings look much better after closer examination, or like some books spark your imagination so much more on the second read, some music requires you to put the effort in, or to give it a few listens. I don't think that's a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination.

A fantastic example. When I first heard "Anthems For A Seventeen Year-Old Girl", it kind of washed over me, and I used it as background noise, really, and never listened to it again. But I heard it played in a coffee shop months and months later, instantly knew that I'd heard it before somewhere, and went home to look for it. From then on, I found that song mindblowingly beautiful.

I purchased The Velvet Underground & Nico yesterday and after listening to that I am somewhat inclined to say that some music does indeed require a little bit of effort to enjoy, but at the same time it's a matter of having that sort of music grow on you and being in the right frame of mind whilst listening to it.

Most good music shouldn't require effort to enjoy, though.

Bands like Tool seem to take effort for me to enjoy. I can't just put them in my car CD player or winamp and enjoy. I have to sit down and be in a certain mood or state of mind to enjoy them.

In addition to things like that and things previously mentioned I find that enjoyment of albums like Tommy or American Idiot is greater than typical albums if you analyse the songs and try to construct some form of cohesive narrative from the lyrics.

For me, it takes any sort of effort to appreciate any sort of "real" band. Being a fan of rap and trance (not real music), anything that is a true band is hard for me to get into.

I got friends who are obsessive with Dave Matthews. I tried listening to some of their more known hits, find it ok, haven't gone much farther though.

The only effort I will put into enjoying a band is grabbing the CD and throwing it into my cars CD player. If I need to sit and think about it like I am breaking down a book, then I am not really enjoying it.

I'm not sure if this exactly needing "effort" to listen to, but I'll throw this out there anyways. One band that pisses me off is Coheed and Cambria. Over time I've found a few songs by them that I enjoy, the ones that aren't as poppy or upbeat. Most of what I found is what I don't enjoy very much, but for every 5 or 6 songs I can't stomach there is one song I just love. For example, songs like "Welcome Home" and "Everything Evil" are top notch and if they had more tunes like those I could probably call them one of my favorite bands, but everything else I find I'm not a fan of. I wish there was a way to filter out the shit I don't like.

Edited by Enter Blue Guy