Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats to Lawrie, it was too big an opportunity for him to turn down. Wish he could have got us qualification and had a shot at managing N.Ireland at a finals, but that's football. He'll do a good job at Fulham, and yes, he will sign Healy >_>

No idea who we'll get in next, but I'm hoping the IFA stretches for a decent manager with a proven track record. BBC suggested Bryan Robson, Glenn Roeder, David O'Leary and *shudders* Glenn Hoddle.

I really hope you don't crash and burn without Sanchez... After all it's not England are going to bloody qualify with Mac in charge. And I need someone to support. <_<

Healy2Fulham. I'm happy though, Healy's been long overdue a run in the premier league, shame he couldn't get it with Leeds :(. Can see N.I. getting a relatively high profile manager now though, not sure quite who.

That would be a shame, I really like that design :P

Really? I think that's probably the worst design I've seen done by Nike. The best part about it is the sponsor and they've got rid of them. :unsure: Mind, the real thing would probably look better.

I think those side bits on the Umbro kits are stupid as well.

Anyone think any of the teams coming up from the Championship can pull of a Wigan/Reading esque first season? Although in my eyes Birmingham and Sunderland are Premiership teams just poor uns. I am hoping Keane can continue his success managing and Sunderland keep faith with him, Bruce/Keane/Hughes get Robson and Ince managing in the Premiership and you got half an early nineties Man Utd squad.

Don't know if this has been brought up at all, if it has ignore it :)

Anyways, anyone think Tevez will stay at West Ham...they have done well recently and i feel deserve to stay up over Wigan who have been just as bad if not worse contiously. Hopefully they can bring in a striker who can compliment both Zamora, although i like Harewood especially after his performance in the 05/06 FA Cup Final and that season i still prefer Zamora. Almost forgot about Ashton...maybe a real pacey striker...get Sinclair on loan next season.

EDIT: Just read Graham Poll is planning on retiring...Mourinho can crack out the champagne.

Edited by Furlong

I hope Utd send West Ham down on Sunday if only so we can hear the end of the controversy.

Reading have had a good first season but they shouldn't get too comfy. Wigan if anything have taught us that.

Oh and yeah Furlong, I was pleased to see Keano and Bruce get their teams promoted. As long as they don't upset their old manager next season >_>

Do Chelsea or Liverpool really need him? Liverpool have Voronin coming in and Chelsea in my opinion if they keep Crespo have a pretty strong attacking line-up plus i am not sure how Tevez would fit into the way Mourinho has them play seems to like the free role playing with another striker while Chelsea have the 4-3-3 slipping into the 4-5-1.

Tottenham i could see...but only if Berbatov goes. With the partnership between him and Keane they should try and hold on to him as much as possible thta could be a high scoring partnership next season.

I think if he goes it will be likely out of England, most likely the Spanish league but thats just a guess. I hope he doesn't go, as i really want to see the partnership of him and Ashton.

EDIT: Just reply to guy above, if anything its down to Wigan to send West Ham down nto sure if they are away at Sheff Utd or at Home, if they are away i can't see them beating Sheff Utd. Guessing we'll see the lawsuits flood in then.

Edited by Furlong

Anyone got good pictures of the new United kit?

Do Chelsea or Liverpool really need him? Liverpool have Voronin coming in and Chelsea in my opinion if they keep Crespo have a pretty strong attacking line-up plus i am not sure how Tevez would fit into the way Mourinho has them play seems to like the free role playing with another striker while Chelsea have the 4-3-3 slipping into the 4-5-1.
Edited by Jimmy the Exploder

Veronin's nothing but a replacement for Fowler, I don't see him becoming first (or even second) choice. Tevez is exactly the kind of player Benitez likes, he's been searching for that link striker since he signed (Crouch, Kuyt and Morientes). Tevez is better than all of them, and he's available.

I hope we don't go out and buy six/seven players again, intergrating them all would take too long and we'd basically have another transitional season. Hopefully we'll get two proven strikers (Tevez, Villa etc) and a quality winger (Simao, Quaresma, Alves). It's going to be an interesting summer because it's the first time that Rafa's been able to go in without looking at having to replace and build an entire squad.

Edited by therockbox

I haven't really seen much of Voronin but from watching the World Cup and Leverkusen (sp?) games he seems to be the link type striker that you talk of. I think Tevez would be great for Liverpool just can't see Benitez adding another striker when it would be more benficial to bring in a quality winger....depends how much money he is given to play with and if any of the current strikers go. I like the Bellamy and Kuyt combination with Crouch a bench option.

Well the way I see it is that even if Wigan win they can still go down, so the power is with Utd.

No because then Sheff. Utd would go down on goal difference. Seeing as it's Wigan/Sheff, and there's only 1 goal in it, thus if the blades lost by one goal, they'd be one goal behind Wigan and on equal points.

Nonetheless, I see Sheff beating Wigan and the whole goal difference thing being irrelevant. Also, I'd like to see 'Pool pick up a solid centre half.

Bellamy will be gone, especially if Villa/Blackburn come in with the £8m or so that's been thrown around. It's a shame because on his day he's shown just how good he be - he's just far, far too inconsistent.

I just don't see why Voronin's been brought in when we've got Kuyt, a similair but far superior player. With Fowler now definitely gone Voronin will play the same sort of role, just playing the odd game to give our main strikers (who I'd love to be Tevez, Crouch, Kuyt and Villa) a rest.

Central midfield is sorted. Xabi, Gerrard, Mash, Momo is one of the strongest in the league, and with Garcia still to come back I don't see there being any room for anyone else. The only player there I can see leaving is Alonso, but that's only if it's some sort of swap with Barca for Eto'o.

Defence, again, there's no real room for improvement. Carragher and Agger are immense, and Hyypia's still going to be there to step in. Finnan's the most underrated right back in the league, and with Kewell (or Simao/Quaresma) we'll have Riise/Aurelio at LB.

Reina can't be replaced, without him our defence looks extremely shaky.

So like I said, the only positions that look like they need improving are up front and one winger.

Edited by therockbox

I agree, can't see why Voronin has been brought in, doesn't look like he can add anything but depth to Liverpool, from what i have seen. I am still not sure about Reina he is a fantastic shot stopper, but some of his decision making is still a little iffy for me...although that has improved since he first came. They could also do with a good back up keeper and personally another left back, i don't think Aurelio can cut it in a defensive role in the Premiership.