Official Premiership 06/07 thread

Liam

Andy Reid is talented, but fat and lazy. Unfit makes me think of Michael Owen, Andy Reid is tubby - I saw him jogging on Sky Sports News and he actually has moobs. It must actually be effort to be fat and a professional footballer. Good left foot though, but if I were a Charlton fan I wouldn't pin my hopes on him being amazing.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TAFKA's Prem Table 06/07 Prediction

1. Chelsea - Can't rule against them i'm afraid. However they won't find it as easy this time.

2. Liverpool - Rafa's boys will do well this year, seems like hes got some good signings and a good squad.

3. Man Utd - I think Fergy will have overall a good year, cup success mostly - but won't be as good here.

4. Arsenal - Close call between them and Spurs for forth place, won't have it so easy this time around.

5. Tottenham - Looks like another improvement over the close season and I think they'll do well.

6. Blackburn - Top notch signings, all the players I would look at. They could even be higher than this.

7. Newcastle - Solid season for Roeder despite lack of top quality signings.

8. Aston Villa - O'Neill will have a solid start. But with more signings they will jump to 8th at the close season.

9. Bolton - I don't think they are as good overall this year. We'll have to see though.

10. West Ham - Slow start, but better at the end of the season.

11. Fulham - Coleman's got what it takes to keep these boys safe.

12. Wigan - Mid-table season, not as impactful as last year.

13. Everton - Johnson won't make that much difference. Not an amazing year.

14. Man City - Pearce isn't going to make massive jumps this year, if at all with City.

15. Charlton - Dowies made some good signings but I can't see him cutting it at this level.

16. Portsmouth - He's got the money but the signings concern me. I think Pompy will be in for a tricky one.

17. Watford - Shoot me, Boothroyd will keep them up, I've got a feeling.

18. Reading - I'd like to see them do well, but I can't see it.

19. Middlesbrough - Southgate isn't a Prem manager and I can't see them doing well even with him sacked.

20. Sheff Utd - Bye bye, nice knowing you. Akinbiyi will be their downfall.

1/2. Chelsea/Liverpool

3. Man Utd

4. Arsenal

18. Wigan

19. Watford

20. Sheffield Utd

Too close to call between Chelsea and Liverpool, Benitez seems to be almost there in terms of the team, whilst I think Chelsea will drop points early on as they try to accomodate Ballack and Shevchenko.

1. Chelsea

2. Man Utd

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Spurs

6. West Ham

-------

17. Watford

18. Wigan

19. Reading

20. Sheffield Utd

Chelsea are too strong, and Mourinho is too astute, for any major blips. I think United, given the quality of players and their football (especially if they sign another centre-midfielder, a striker or if Scholes plays ok) are in for a decent season, with Ronaldo finally living up to his hype. I just don't see it with Liverpool, they're strong but not strong enough IMO.

As much as I want to write off Arsenal, in Henry, Toure and Fabregas they have some superb players - though I think their season will hinge on the next few weeks in regard to Reyes and Cole. If they sell both, given the size of their squad, I don't think they'll be able to compete on a domestic and European front.

As for my lovely Spurs, we'll keep developing, hopefully King can stay clear of further injury and really challenge in the cups and for 4th spot. A left winger is still a must though and another full-back would be lush. West Ham have an outstanding squad and a load of potential, while Glenn Roeder will get found out and it's a case of too soon for Martin O'Neill. David Moyes will probably get sacked as well.

Watford will stay up, Boothroyd is a brilliant manager and man-motivator and in King and Young they have two really good players. Shittu, Carlisle, Foster and Francis give them a solid base.

Guest Chasing Ringy

1. Man Utd

2. Chelsea

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Spurs

17. Wigan

18. Middlesborough

19. Watford

20. Sheffield United

I just don't see Chelsea winning. I'd say the title either goes to Man Utd or Liverpool, with Chelsea coming second, and I'm only putting the Mancs up ahead because they were superb from January on last year. With Carrick and potentially Hargreaves, they should do well enough. As for Liverpool, I'm not too sure on them. They've been talking a lot lately and have looked impressive in friendlies bar that 5-0 thrashing which was a bit of a fluke IMO, but I don't see getting past the other two.

Arsenal and Spurs will probably stay where they are. I have a glimmer of hope that Spurs will topple them but I don't see it happening unless Arsenal tank miserably.

I would like to see Wigan stay up, but it will be difficult with their players. Gareth Southgate isn't a manager and he won't do well with the squad he has bar Downing, and Watford/Sheffield are self evident baring a miracle.

Chelsea have the best squad again but I can't help but feel that they will underachieve a bit this season. There's a lot of pressure on Ballack and Shevchenko, the fans expect around 30 goals from Sheva and they expect Ballack to be a rock in the midfield. Ballack isn't used to English football, I think he'll struggle to find his World Cup form in the first half of the season, maybe the same goes for Sheva. Nobody seems to mention Arsenal as a possible winner which strikes me as odd because they bought Rosicky who will do great, this will also be Van Persie's year to truely break out (he was Holland's best player at the World Cup and owned Ireland two days ago) and ofcourse Henry is still there with behind him the still growing Fabregas. My predictions are very different from the others, but I like to be original :pervert:

1. Arsenal

2. Liverpool

3. Chelsea

4. Tottenham

5. Manchester United (without Ruud....)

17. Wigan Athletic

18. Watford

19. Middlesbrough

20. Sheffield United

1. Chelsea

2. Arsenal

3. Liverpool

4,5,6. Man. Utd./Blackburn/Tottenham/West Ham/Newcastle Utd.

17. Middlesborough/Man. City.

18. Watford

19. Sheff. Utd.

20. Reading

Maybe my faith in West Ham is misguided, but I've got a feeling. :P

Oh, and Villa for midtable obscurity. O'Neill is good, but not God.

Pompey and Fulham for a relegation scrap again, but I think they'll win it.

Blackburn managed to swap Bellamy (who's good) for McCarthy (who's been one of my favourite players to watch since about 1995), so I WANT them to do well. I don't know if they will or not though. Spurs'll be up there, as will Man Utd, because no matter how poor they play they always seem to be come the end of the season.

Everton should do ok, maybe challenge for Europe. Newcastle will do a lot better than they have for a while.

Arsenal will be shit-hot attack-wise, but I just don't see much of a defence there any more. Although they do have one of my top-rated 'keepers. They'll own the bottom half, but teams with a sniff of Europe will probably force draws, whereas they won't with Chelsea. Once Chelsea get back to form, their defence will be invincible.

Edited by TheReilDeal

1- Liverpool

2- Chelsea

3- Man U

4- Arsenal

5- Blackburn

6- Tottenham

7- Newcastle

8- West Ham

9- Bolton

10- Aston Villa

11- Everton

12- Wigan

13- Portsmouth

14- Man City

15- Fulham

16- Charlton

17- Watford

18- Middlesbrough

19- Sheff Utd

20- Reading

I really think places 5 to 12 could be interchanged though. But that's what I'm going with.

Edited by damshow

Guest Chasing Ringy

I was watching this program on one of the channels here and they showed part of this report circa late 91 that CTV was doing on a young prodigy by the name of Owen Hargreaves (who did not have much of an English accent at all, actually), who according to the announcer played "up in the front" and who was going to light the footballing world on fire. They seriously acted as though he was the next Pele. Then he asked the kid what he wanted to do when he grew up and he said that even though his dad wants him to play for Bolton, he wants to play for Leeds because they "look like they've got a bright future" and said he wanted to play for Canada because they've got "some of the best players in the world, like Craig Forrest".

Easily the best report ever.

I don't get it. In both table predictions, Charlton have barely been above the relegation zone. What gives?

Because despite my respect I don't see Charlton doing much this season. Look at the bright side, at least you have exciting football to watch as you battle to not get relegated. I've actually always thought that slightly better than a boring mid-table finish where you don't compete for Europe or battle to not get relegated.

Heh, this year'll be fecking tough for us.

Oh, and we should shoot Akinbiyi now, and be done with it. Kabba and Webber ftw.

Seriously, though, I see us struggling but not getting hammered (a la Sunderland every second year). We always seem to play well against the top sides in the cup; I just hope we can translate that into some kind of league form.