2006/2007 Hockey Season Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is, as I said to GYS, just another example of how small time the NHL is. The NBA is being run by the mafia, who use corrupt officials to rig games for purposes of their gambling. The National Football league has players caught with enough assault rifles to knock over Jordan and has players training, fighting, and executing dogs. The MLB has a huge drug problem and players are having heart attacks from amphetamines and lying to congress about steroids. In the NHL.... well, in the NHL, a bunch of players get arrested because their music is too loud.

Ryder will probably score another thirty goals for the Canadiens, and they need guys who can simply score. I think it was a good move, and hopefully they can keep him around longer then just one more year.

Has anyone heard of what the Rangers said about Sean Avery in their arbitration? They pretty much ripped him down as a player, it's obvious they don't want to pay him anywhere near the $2.9 million he is looking for. It may be that the Rangers don't want to spend any more, and Avery is on the way out.

I thought that a line comprised of Avery - Drury - Shanahan sounded pretty awesome though.

I'm going to make a concerted effort to watch more hockey this year. I've been a fan for years, but hardly ever see any games. And from that, I intend to get better at hockey games, and devleop an actual strategy rather than run at the goalie and deke to score.

I'm an Avs fan, since around 1996, and not just because they won the cup - a sports magazine ran an ice hockey poster featuring Joe Sakic, and Channel 5 showed some highlights in which he was a beast. I think picking up Ryan Smyth and Hartnell were solid moves, and I'm happy Svatos resigned, hoepfully he can get back into form. I've heard Statsny and Wolski were two of the better rookies last season, is that about right? Goalie's definitely the main thing to sort out. I heard Theodore hasn't been doing as well as expected, and I've not been that convinced from what I've seen of Budaj (although I haven't seen all that much).

Edited by Dragsy 7-0

So, as I imagined, Brian Burke didn't match the Oilers $4+ million per year contract offer to Dustin Penner. On the one hand, he was a great part of the Anaheim team last year, but he's definately not worth that much in comparison to the rest of the Ducks roster.

On the other hand, does Kevin Lowe really believe Penner is going to be worth $4 million a season? Keep in mind that Penner was part of the PPG (Penner, Perry, Getzlaf) line, and who his defensemen were. I wouldn't be surprised to see Penner have a very subpar year in Edmonton, where it's less likely that he'll have such support.

So, as I imagined, Brian Burke didn't match the Oilers $4+ million per year contract offer to Dustin Penner. On the one hand, he was a great part of the Anaheim team last year, but he's definately not worth that much in comparison to the rest of the Ducks roster.

On the other hand, does Kevin Lowe really believe Penner is going to be worth $4 million a season? Keep in mind that Penner was part of the PPG (Penner, Perry, Getzlaf) line, and who his defensemen were. I wouldn't be surprised to see Penner have a very subpar year in Edmonton, where it's less likely that he'll have such support.

Sakic owns. I was so sad when he retired after my first season on NHL 07. Signing Jason Spezza fixed it though, best line in hockey for the 11/12 season was Smyth, Spezza, Hejduk.

But yeah, real hockey talk, the offer sheet stuff seems a little over-aggressive, and I would think certain GMs around the league are going to have pretty long memories as next season approaches the trade deadline.

The offer sheet set up is one of the most hotly debated parts of the CBA. The thing is, though, Bob Clarke made an offer last year and people still traded with him, and his successor, with no problems. As far as Kevin Lowe goes, it doesn't really matter since no one was trading with him anyway, and he has no chips with which to make deals. If he can't make trades anyway, then move whose only downside is possibly convincing other teams to not make trades with him, he's losing nothing and getting a good second line forward who they can ruin by forcing to play first line minutes. It's going to be Lupul all over again.

If Edmonton has a poor season this year, which I think they will, the Ducks make out like bandits with Edmonton's first, second and third round pick in the '08 draft. Considering the scouting there in Anaheim, they will get at least one NHLer with those picks.

And Ryan Shannon is ready to step up and take Penner's spot, according to TSN.