Football Manager 2007

Dan

Having started a game as Aston Villa, I have to say I'm not having a very good time of it.

For a start, I made the error of making a few signings of people I'd never played with before...

Osaze Odemwingie (from Lille) is shite. He's scored once thus far, and that was just a tap in.

Kléberson is probably the best of them, though that's not saying much.

Petri Pasanen (from Werder Bremen) is quite good, but he got himself sent off at White Hart Lane when we were 1-0 up. Spurs won 2-1.

Then of course several players (Baros, Barry, Bouma, Hendrie, Petrov, Davis) got injured simultaneously for about 2 months each.

So yeah, grrr.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At least your having a realistic Villa experience -_-

I've not had the son thing happen to me but an ex-player of mine from Bohs Dave Marney, who I brought up from the youth team there and to Plymouth with me now has a Paul Marney as his favourite personel (after me). I assume he's a younger brother.

I'm sure that would be your son.

Why would his son have the same surname as one of his players, and not him?

I was about to ask the same question, :blink:

Just lost the League cup final to Werder Bremen, Miroslav Klose scored early on, we dominated the match but couldn't finish any of our bag full of chances.

Although the leauge cup doesn't mean an awful lot it's always nice to get the season off to a good start by winning it.

So I used my computer generally being gay and overheating due to something or other that isn't the fan needing to be replaced as an excuse to hijack my mum's laptop and start a new game on there. It's much faster and for once I can actually play with a large database. I've only got the English leagues turned on down to the Championship because I've no desire to manage anywhere other than the Premiership and whereas a player who scores 30 in a Championship season could prove to be a good investment, I'm not going to bother looking into somebody who does well in League One, even if the media hails them as the next Jesus. As for foreign leagues, I've only got the Spanish and Italian top divisions on, because my grandmother could score in the French and German leagues so I've decided against enabling them.

Started off as Liverpool, as always. Made two pre-season signings, taking Antonio Barragan back from Deportivo (before he even got there in real life :shifty:) because my scouts were going crazy over his potential and I needed a back-up right back. For some reason I also splashed 7m on N'Zogbia who ended up earning his price tag after an injury to Gerrard.

I'm in late November now, 4th in league, but on level points with Chelsea, both of us having a game in hand over Man United and Arsenal who are 1st and 2nd respectively. Seven points behind Man United and six behind Arsenal with only Chelsea out of the top teams left to play. Kuyt's been his usual productive self and for the first time ever I've managed to utilise Crouch properly, and he's an absolute machine. Bellamy got off to a slow start but he just scored two against Arsenal in Crouch's absence. Fowler's disappointing, he's just decided he's above running. I'm taking the slightly noble route of only buying players after I've scouted them unless they're internationally known, so whilst I may end up buying Vanden Borre or Higuain, I'm assuming I've never heard of them before the game began >_>

Out of the League Cup to Birmingham after a grueling victory against Chelsea in the third round with my Reserve Side. We should've beat the Brum too, but surprise surprise, Dudek fucked up. I've already qualified first in my Champion's League group with one game to go so I'll give Fowler a run out in the last group game and hope he actually does something that would warrant me keeping him next season, because after all, he's Robbie Fowler.

I've not had the son thing happen to me but an ex-player of mine from Bohs Dave Marney, who I brought up from the youth team there and to Plymouth with me now has a Paul Marney as his favourite personel (after me). I assume he's a younger brother.

I'm sure that would be your son.

Why would his son have the same surname as one of his players, and not him?

Finished my first season in 3rd place despite being in 5th all season, and got to the semi-finals of the Champions League after beating Barcelona and Chelsea (kind of mirroring real life, since I'm Liverpool, only I never got to the final and didn't lose to the annoying people of Milan), but Bayern Munich were just too strong for me. They lost 2-0 in an uneventfual final to Man United anyway. Somehow Everton got 2nd place and clinched the other automatic European Cup spot after Man United won the league. Arsenal were second for most of the campaign and at periods were only a couple of points away from Man United, but they slipped up towards the end and finished 4th. Chelsea had an embarrassing season and ended up 5th and didn't win anything. Shockingly Jose didn't lose his job, so all that hard man talk of his obviously accounts for nothing :shifty:

Xabi Alonso had an average season (7s mostly with the rare 8 if I was lucky) so I quite happily sold him to Milan for 11.75m, which is a shame because he's a good player but he doesn't fit into my tactical set-up. I'm challenging for the Premiership this year and I don't think Sissoko's ready to play in the first team all season yet for a side with ambitions like that, so I brought in Andrea Pirlo for the price of 24m which is a bit steep, but he got a 9 in his first Premiership game and was Man Of The Match despite Kuyt scoring two and Owen scoring one, and assisting one of Kuyt's. Oh yeah, I signed Owen back too. He was going for 10.5m and since he's absolutely immense on there I'll take that over chasing Higuain (who isn't up to the standards of Owen yet), who they wanted at least 16m for. I also got Alexis at right back from some Spanish club, because David Moores accepted a 9.5m bid for Barragan over my head so I needed a new back up right back, but he's better than Finnan so he'll step in permanently.

Started a game with Fulham and we ain't doing so good at the moment. Boa Morte demanded a transfer right at the beginning of the season and I granted it. I shipped him off to Tottenham for a cool £7M. Diop also demanded a transfer, so I sent him off to Ajax for £5M. I had a pretty decent transfer budget to begin with. (£3.4M). I brought in Darius Vassel for £6M, Landon Donovan for £5.5M, Pablo Mastroeni for £1.6M, Gerardo Torrado for £1.8M, and Claudio Reyna for £110K. I have £950K left over, hopefully the board gives me more during the January transfer period. My strikers can't score for shit. We lie in 18th place at the moment. Shockingly Arsenal and Liverpool are at 14th and 13th respectively and we're already 10 games in to the season.

I got bored with Villa. Southampton are down in the Championship, and have recently been taken over by a foreign tycoon. I apply and get the job. £60m to spend, not bad, is it? I look around and the squad is full of so much dead wood it is unreal. I need a WHOLE new team.

Jason Koumas - £3m - Has done alright. I expected more, but he's only played 11 games or so.

D. Nugent - £4m - Started off well, then he got sent off and has drifted off since then.

Almunia - £2m - Flop - Absolute shit. Davies is back as my number one goalie.

Scott Brown - £3.6m - He's on the bench now, Maldonado has replaced him.

David Dunn - £2.5m - Also on the bench. Back up.

Stephen Ireland - £7m - He is one for the future

Z. Gera - £6.25m - Easily the best player so far, well worth the cash as he's got us out of so many situations.

Curtis Davies - £6.25m - Started off on 6's, but he's doing well now.

Edison - £6m. He's Brazilian and looks good for an AMC. Has played that well. Is definitely a meh.

D. Srna - £6.25 - Up there with Gera. One of my best buys. Worth it.

Claudio Maldonado - £5m - Good player.

Every squad needs time to gel, especially when you practically bring in an entire new squad. Which is what I did. We won our first game, then lost three in a row. We're now 12th tho, and have picked up quite a few wins here and there, so I'm happy.

Holy shit.

Reynir.png

One game to go, me vs Stjarnen, Grindavik vs Njarovik.

We've done exceptionally well, considering IRL Reynir are newly promoted to the First Divison. It's kinda like Sheffield United qualifying for the UEFA Cup this season. In our last game we pulled a 3-0 victory over Grindavik out of nowhere, which means we're 3pts behind and now level on goal difference.

So as long as we win and they don't, we're up. Even if we don't go up, I'd still be elated with 4th. So would the board.

Iceland is interesting, because since you play half the number of games you do in England, the table is much more flexible. One bad result can send you from promotion contenders to relegation battlers if you just glance at the table, and nothing is ever decided too early.

I just checked, and Sandgeroisvollur is a fucking fortress. Switching the table to show just the home games puts us undefeated at the top, level on points with Stjarnen (who've lost one but only drawn 2 to our 5). Whereas switching it to just show Away games puts us level with the team in 11th on 9pts :shifty:.

I don't like away days.

Edit: Lost 3-0, and Grindavik drew, so Stjarnen went up. :( Oh well, it was a good first season anyway. At least my reserves won their league.

Edited by Farmer Reil

Hmm, my Villa team currently stands thusly...and I know absolutely nothing about Villa, so any "why the fuck aren't you playing X" or "why ARE you playing X" wouldn't surprise me in the least. :shifty:

GK Stuart Taylor

DR Petri Pasanen

DL Gareth Barry

DC Olof Mellerg

DC Gary Cahill

MR Stiliyan Petrov

ML Peter Whittingham

MC Kléberson

MC Gaizka Mendieta (forgot I'd bought him)

FC Milan Baros

FC Juan Pablo Angel (Odemwingie sometimes gets to start but not often anymore <_<)

(Yes, I edited my post 8 hours later because I spotted a grammatical error. Sue me.)

Edited by stokeriño

Where's Agbonlahor? :o

Doing very little. Neither he nor Luke Moore have produced in the couple of times I've thrown them in up front, and as far as being a right winger is concerned, Petrov > Agbonlahor.

Where's Agbonlahor? :o

Doing very little. Neither he nor Luke Moore have produced in the couple of times I've thrown them in up front, and as far as being a right winger is concerned, Petrov > Agbonlahor.

You must have like a 1/1,000,000 game or something because I don't know one game where Luke Moore hasn't produced :o

Oh he produces...for ENGLAND. I've not even had a 'key moment' highlight of him getting a shot on goal. <_< Typical 4-4-2 and everything, so it's not like I'm screwing him over tactically.