Football Manager 2007

Dan

Why are Everton so great on my games :'(

They're going to win the league because they just won't stop winning! I've won 10 on the trot and yet I'm still 1 point behind them because they have won 10 on the trot as well and we only have 8 games to go and I just can't see them dropping points!

Because they are obviously getting four points for one of those victories?

EDIT: 1,111 posts... ooh weird!

Edited by FlatDavey Richards

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why are Everton so great on my games :'(

They're going to win the league because they just won't stop winning! I've won 10 on the trot and yet I'm still 1 point behind them because they have won 10 on the trot as well and we only have 8 games to go and I just can't see them dropping points!

Because they are obviously getting four points for one of those victories?

Started a new game with Arsenal, I'm just past the January transfer window and I'm sitting in 5th place. I signed Akinfeev and Antonio Lopez at the beginning of the game and they've been playing fantastic. I've had some frustrating games (Drawing with Everton and Reading, and losing to Watford 3-0) but I think I'm doing pretty well for myself in this game. I just signed Huntelaar for £19M, I had been scouting him since the beginning of the game and he had been killing for Ajax, scoring 20 goals in all competitions. Playing Charlton right now and he's already scored 2, so hopefully my gamble will pay off.

Edited by Ando Solo

Man, this is pissy. With Tottenham, I seem to dispose of all the good teams (Man Utd 2-0, Liverpool 3-1 (away), Arsenal 4-0) but when it comes to the easier teams (Reading 1-3, West Ham 1-3, Gelsenkirchen 4-0 (at home and after I'd won the first leg 3-0) I choke. Is it a thing that can be fixed by doing something or other?

EDIT: Add to that just beating Chelsea 2-1 away. And now I've lost both Defoe and Berbatov to 2+ month long injuries. Farkin' hell.

Not sure, but maybe your playing too defensive or with a counter attack, which might work against top sides, but not the bottom sides. That or you're just been unlucky.

So, after finally upgrading to 7.0.2 I've started a new game to use the new data. Took over at Reading, and we're 2nd at Christmas. Really surprised at how well we've done, normally when I play in the Premiership Reading are usually in the bottom three.

I've brought in four first team players, they've generally been quite good except for the disappointing David Nugent. £2.2m and he's got one goal in the league and 1 in the league cup. Luckly Doyle and Lita have been in awesome form, especially Lita whose joint top scorer in the league with 11 goals and the highest average rating as well.

Well I won the league again :D

I choked first though with 2 draws on the row whilst Everton kept winning so I figured I had blown it when they suddenly drew with Spurs and then Reading whilst I won my games and with another 4 games down we were at the same place as we had been for the last 14! But finally it all turned on the 35th game as we were 3-0 down against Man City and came back to win 4-3 whilst Everton succumbed to a last minute winner away at Villa. They went on to lose the next games which I also did and so in the end I won by 2 points.

Man, this is pissy. With Tottenham, I seem to dispose of all the good teams (Man Utd 2-0, Liverpool 3-1 (away), Arsenal 4-0) but when it comes to the easier teams (Reading 1-3, West Ham 1-3, Gelsenkirchen 4-0 (at home and after I'd won the first leg 3-0) I choke. Is it a thing that can be fixed by doing something or other?

EDIT: Add to that just beating Chelsea 2-1 away. And now I've lost both Defoe and Berbatov to 2+ month long injuries. Farkin' hell.

Not sure, but maybe your playing too defensive or with a counter attack, which might work against top sides, but not the bottom sides. That or you're just been unlucky.

Zaz, you still doing your Aussie diary? Haven't seen it recently so yeah.

Anyways, to make this seem relevant, Australia just lost to Ubekistan in my old game. Yes that's right, made me start a new game so I could make sure it doesn't happen again.

I don't get it. Last season I only lost 4 overall, this season I've lost 7 with thirteen games left, and I've already conceded more goals. It's fucking stupid. I dominated the league last season, I won it by 14 points and now my team can barely string a pass together. AARRGH.

I'd use some kind of training tactics, you said you don't use any, that's probably why. Or mix up your tactics, eventually the game works you out and you have to change it up, make a new formation and change your playing style... Should work; so long as you get some decent tactics.

Training hasn't got anything to do with it since I've already won the league twice. And my tactics work a lot of the time, for instance I beat Everton away before losing to Spurs at home 3-0. I think the game places too much emphasis on tactics, it's not as if one year they'll suddenly stop working even if your team is far superior to almost anybody you play. But I'll probably try something new, anyway.

Edited by Pesci Wallace

Training hasn't got anything to do with it since I've already won the league twice. And my tactics work a lot of the time, for instance I beat Everton away before losing to Spurs at home 3-0. I think the game places too much emphasis on tactics, it's not as if one year they'll suddenly stop working even if your team is far superior to almost anybody you play. But I'll probably try something new, anyway.

Maybe almost 3 years of not training properly is getting to them? :P For me, my teams always suck if I don't use training methods.

Clearly Pesci expects the rest of the league to stop getting better :shifty:

As for formations, it depends entirely on the team.

My favourite formation, all things being equal, is 5-3-2, but obviously not if I don't have any good wingbacks, or if I have exceptional fullbacks/wingers. Or if my two strikers are slow as shit and can't dribble.

But yeah, I prefer 5-3-2, because it's naturally defensive (as in, I've almost always got men behind the ball... whether they actually do anything or not :P), but at the same time, can be deadly in attack. Thought it does require loads more fast, fit players than 4-4-2. Which, at Thurrock, I don't really have :P So I usually lose comfortable leads in the final ten minutes, when my wingbacks and centre mids just can't be fucked to run any more, or are physically unable to :shifty:

One thing common to all my formations though, I never, ever set any of my centrebacks (or fullbacks, if I have them) to anything other than 'Ultra Defensive' and 'Rarely' for all the sliders. When I have a back four, I like it to be at the back, and for there to be four of them.

When I play 4-4-2, or any formation with two MC's, I usually have one of them a DMC, and the other an AMC, and give them the appropriate arrows. My DMC is always on maximum Closing Down, and Ultra Defensive. And it's usually James Hunt if I'm playing below League One :P

Edited by Farmer Reil