Dropkick Murphys - Who Likes Them?

Fitzy

So, yeah, after I saw The Departed the other day and heard "I'm Shipping Up To Boston" by them play during the movie, I wanted to find out more about them. And with the help of Beatnik, who also got turned onto them by the same movie, I got all of their albums and I love them. I know, it is kind of weird being from Boston that I am just really getting into them now (I've heard a few of there stuff before like "Tessie" from the Red Sox, "Amazing Grace" from The Shield, and "The Gauntlet" from some video game, but never really gave them a chance until now).

I think The Warrior's Code is perhaps their best work. Such greatness from top to bottom with "Captain Kelly's Kitchen," "The Green Fields of France," "I'm Shipping Up To Boston," "The Auld Triangle," and "Tessie" being the stand out ones.

Blackout would come in as my second favorite album of theres with "Bastards On Parade," "As One," and "Kiss Me, I'm Shitfaced" being the stand out stuff.

The Gang's All Here comes in next after that. "Amazing Grace" is probably my favorite on it. "The Gang's All Here" is quality, as well. As is "The Fighting 69th."

Sing Loud, Sing Proud! would follow that. "The Guantlet" is excellent. "The Wild Rover" and "The Spicy McHaggis Jig" are pretty good. As is "For Boston."

Do or Die is probably my least favorite one. Maybe that is because of the different singer they had then. I do like "Cadence To Arms" and "Skinhead On The MBTA."

I thought they sound great live juding by their Live On St. Patricks Day From Boston, Ma album. I like their cover of "Dirty Water" by The Standells. Of course, not as good, but still decent enough. "Amazing Grace" sounds even better here with when we can actually hear the words to the song.

So, anyone else on EWB like them?

I've seen them once, awesome awesome live show. They play in boston every St. Patricks Day, I'm trying to get to see them next year. If you have the chance to see them, definately go for it, no matter what the price is. It's worth it.

It's funny, because they say Scorsese has the best musical taste in Hollywood and here we go to one of his movies and come back, instantly obsessed with a band he featured for a matter of what, 60 seconds? That clearly proves it. >_>

It's funny, because they say Scorsese has the best musical taste in Hollywood and here we go to one of his movies and come back, instantly obsessed with a band he featured for a matter of what, 60 seconds? That clearly proves it. >_>

Coincidentally, I bought Blackout today, it was the only album Best Buy had. I think I first heard them in one of the Tony Hawk video games. I legally acquired a few mp3s(Blackout, Kiss Me I'm Shitfaced, Time to Go) and really enjoyed them. 2 years later I think "Why the hell don't I own any of their albums." And here I am.

So, yeah, I like them as well.

He did that to me as well with the movie Gangs of New York. The begining of the movie features a drum cadence that I loved when I first heard it, I sound found out it was performed by Othar Turner and the Rising All-Stars drum and fife band. The music is all drum and fife, but it's really a good listen.

As for the Dropkicks, I'm not huge on them, they're solid. If you enjoy their work check out The Tossers, The Mahones, and Flatfoot 56. All are sort of celtic influenced rock/punk, though the Mahones and Tossers tend to lean more to the celtic sound.

Would The Mahones be a Pogues reference, with Pogues being an abbreviation of Pogue Mahone (I can't remember the Gaelic spelling)? Either way, thanks for that recommendation, I've been looking for more Celtic punk stuff.

Love the Dropkicks. Warrior's Code and Blackout! are two really good albums. The rest are meh, but still solid. I saw them live over the summer, and it was a great show. Fitzy, I recommend going to see them at least once. Like someone said, they play in Boston (The Avalon I believe) every St. Patrick's Day. Definitley should be worth going.

Would The Mahones be a Pogues reference, with Pogues being an abbreviation of Pogue Mahone (I can't remember the Gaelic spelling)? Either way, thanks for that recommendation, I've been looking for more Celtic punk stuff.

I'm honestly not sure, but I'd say it's probably a good possibility.

If you can, try and find the Mahones song "Raggle Tagge Gypsy". It starts off a bit slow, with some guitar and such, but in the middle of the song the pace picks up and it gets very good. The lyrics are quite good, and very catchy. The music of it in general is catchy, I can't stop playing the song right now. It's on the album Dragging the Days.

Yeah, Raggle Taggle Gypsy was the first one of their tracks I downloaded, I love the song, and their's is one of the better versions I've heard of it. Other than that, I think I prefer The Tossers out of the two, but they both seem to be very good bands.