The Saints Are Coming...

YI

Green Day...I will force feed them my shit. As that's all that they seem to be doing to the general public. This song is awful. I've started to warm up to U2, they write acceptable stadium rock nowadays, but this song is flat out awful. Boring, pretentious...just, fuck. Does anyone actually like this? I haven't found anyone who does yet. Granted not a lot of people have heard it.

Green Day...I will force feed them my shit. As that's all that they seem to be doing to the general public. This song is awful. I've started to warm up to U2, they write acceptable stadium rock nowadays, but this song is flat out awful. Boring, pretentious...just, fuck. Does anyone actually like this? I haven't found anyone who does yet. Granted not a lot of people have heard it.

The song isn't offensive or anything, but I hate when people drudge up old songs to represent new causes. I tend to wonder how inspired someone was to act on a particular issue if they have to resort to the work of others in their own field to get their point across.

Green Day's bassist looks like he fits in more with U2 than he does with his own band. I only caught this song from the half-way point, but it's repetitive and shite.

And I love how the video's got loads of footage of New Orleans like "we care so much about the plight of the poor man...but we'll still fork out thousands of dollars to film our bands with top of the range equipment, playing expensive instruments, on top of a fucking skyscraper or something, and probably charging thousands of dollars for the privelege".

I love hypocrisy.

Ugh. I hate that argument "it's better than a lot of other new stuff". I can't think of any point in the 20th century where that hasn't been a wealth of amazing contemporary music available. There is always fantastic "new" music available, settling for the best of what's forced upon you is just lazy.

And I love how the video's got loads of footage of New Orleans like "we care so much about the plight of the poor man...but we'll still fork out thousands of dollars to film our bands with top of the range equipment, playing expensive instruments, on top of a fucking skyscraper or something, and probably charging thousands of dollars for the privelege".

I love hypocrisy.

Ugh. I hate that argument "it's better than a lot of other new stuff". I can't think of any point in the 20th century where that hasn't been a wealth of amazing contemporary music available. There is always fantastic "new" music available, settling for the best of what's forced upon you is just lazy.

I love hypocrisy.

So if they'd shot the video with a shitty camcorder and used cheap instruments, that would have been better?

I guess if I'm going to donate some money to charity I'd better not be wearing my expensive clothes and listening to my iPod when I do it, because that would make me a hypocrite.

I love how people will pick out the smallest, most insignificant things to criticise about songs/bands/people they don't like.

It's got nothing to do with whether I like them or not, I actually quite like U2, "Stay (Faraway So Close)" and "When Love Comes To Town" are two of my favourite songs. But I find it a little hypocritical that Bono is always banging on about how much he cares about the poor and relieving poverty, then spends ridiculous amounts of money on something so un-necessary as this video, and charges obscene prices for tickets to see his band. It's the same as guys like Bob Dylan or Bruce Springsteen still singing about the plight of the working man at the stage in their career where they probably write half their songs in one of their nineteen bedrooms after a refreshing dip in their guitar-shaped swimming pool.

I couldn't give a toss what other people spend their money on, but to me, talking about understanding the plight of the poor and working to help them, when you're pretty much the other end of the spectrum, just reeks of hypocrisy to me.

It is better then a lot of new stuff at the moment (as in the last few months). With that said, there is a lot of music out in the last few months that is better then the song. Science forbid I like a song that you don't!

I can't really remember why I went off on one with that argument, but basically it has very little to do with this song, I just think the "it's not great, but it's better than a lot of new stuff" argument for any song, or any product at all, just seems lazy. I don't see why people should be expected to just accept what's given to them, rather than actively looking for something better, when what's given to us is so frequently sub-par.

Edited by Skumfrog