Gaming industry Pet Peeves

Docpepper

What would you suggest as an alternative?

To turn-based combat? Real-time combat, surely?

Exactly.

I'm not going to be pompous enough to declare the abolishment of turn based RPG's. I'm simply advocating a different style of RPG because the turn based system is one of my "pet peeves" of gaming so to speak. I understand it has it's fans, it's obvious with the popularity of the Final Fantasy series.

I think something along the lines of Kingdom Hearts might be right up my alley, however not that game in specific. Just the combat style of it, the whole Disney theme turns me off as ridiculous as that sounds.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Zeokage

I thought Kingdom Hearts was similar to Final Fantasy in terms of the battles...

But really what you're saying is that you would prefer the Action RPG genre as opposed to the Turn-Based?

Basically, yeah you could say that. I'm not really familiar with RPG's in general due to my distain for the turn based variety, and I've naively believed most, if not all are like that. I know it may not be true, but it's something that I've manage to etch into my brain wether it's true or not.

I just don't feel like I have enough control in the turn based RPG's while in battle. It's a shame because the presentation of a lot of RPG's is absolutely stunning. Hell, I even remember watching my cousin play PS 1 Final Fantasy games and being absolutely capivated by the brilliant visuals of the game.

Guest Zeokage

I can understand that lack of control feeling, especially when you can't do anything about a beatdown that would be prevented by one move on your part. Maybe you should try the Zelda series... well, it's the only series that comes to mind from what I've played. If you're looking for stats as well, then the games that the others suggested might be worth a try. :)

The thing is, and I don't know if anyone will agree with me or not, most games called RPGs are NOT true RPGs, but hybrids called RPGs because no one has come up with anything better to call them.

To me, a real RPG is one where you create your character from scratch, not something where you play an already created character and have the option to rename them and make them into something they weren't intended to be. For instance, renaming Rikku in FFX to `Perky Von Boogerbutt' and training her in magic instead of thievery.

Neverwinter Nights and most MMORPGs are true RPGs. Games like the Final Fantasy, Wild Arms and Dragonquest (or Dragon Warrior) series are hybrid RPGs.

The thing is, and I don't know if anyone will agree with me or not, most games called RPGs are NOT true RPGs, but hybrids called RPGs because no one has come up with anything better to call them.

To me, a real RPG is one where you create your character from scratch, not something where you play an already created character and have the option to rename them and make them into something they weren't intended to be. For instance, renaming Rikku in FFX to `Perky Von Boogerbutt' and training her in magic instead of thievery.

Neverwinter Nights and most MMORPGs are true RPGs. Games like the Final Fantasy, Wild Arms and Dragonquest (or Dragon Warrior) series are hybrid RPGs.

Tekken Fanboys. How can people say it has a good gameplay engine? They all play like shit. I'd rather play Mortal Kombat: Advance.

You've got to be shitting me. You think the mortal combat games are better than the tekken games? Thats laughable. The tekken games are actually much more techinical and complex and deeper then any and all of the Mortal Kombat games. Let me guess, you're just in it for the blood and gore right?

Only someone who knows jack shit about tekken would even say that its gameplay engine is crap.

I can actually back up my arguement if you'd like.

Edited by kale

Tekken Fanboys. How can people say it has a good gameplay engine? They all play like shit. I'd rather play Mortal Kombat: Advance.

You've got to be shitting me. You think the mortal combat games are better than the tekken games? Thats laughable. The tekken games are actually much more techinical and complex and deeper then any and all of the Mortal Kombat games. Let me guess, you're just in it for the blood and gore right?

Only someone who knows jack shit about tekken would even say that its gameplay engine is crap.

For the love of God, no no no no no.

I hate it when people fucking say that. That's what the haters see when they look at MK. It has solid gameplay, superb audio soundtrack, interesting characters (mainly the early ones), and an engaging storyline.

The violence isn't even one of 5 favorite things in MK.

I hate it when people fucking say that. That's what the haters see when they look at MK. It has solid gameplay, superb audio soundtrack, interesting characters (mainly the early ones), and an engaging storyline.

MK's gameplay is ok at best. It's usually full of so much cheese and lacks real depth in its system. Ground game? Nope, juggles? very very limited.

Throws? No where near as good as tekkens or VFs. Tech traps? Nonexistant (as far as I remember there is no tech rolling in MK games, last one I played was DA or the one after that).

The AI is just flat out bad. MK AI has always been a perfect example of If-then-else programming.

When it comes to pure depth in how well the fighting system is designed, MK doesn't deserve to be even mentioned in the same breath as tekken.

The Beat 'Em Up genre as a whole is massively over rated. Tekken's storylines are weak as hell. The fighting is better than MK, but I prefer the story and universe MK has. Bottom line though, I hate all the 20-button combos you tend to have to remember for these sorts of games.

Mortal Kombat Armageddon has Motor Kombat, Kano speaking in a Dick Van Dyke cockney accent, and the ability to uppercut monks in Konquest mode. That makes it better than anything Tekken can offer.

If there is anything to say in defense of the MK franchise, it's the storyline. It's a bit out there, and a bit messy, but for the most part, it makes sense. Tekken's storyline is fucking ridiculous and does Virtua Fighter even have one? That said, Mortal Kombat Armageddon can eat my ass for taking out character-specific fatalities. I know MK is a simplistic game, but I just don't have the time to learn how to play Virtua Fighter or Soul Calibur well. And there's no fun in those games if I'm always losing. Engines for fighting games are just too damn intricate and certainly aren't novice-friendly.