Gaming industry Pet Peeves

Docpepper

My personal hate is people who because a game is made by a company they don't like the game is automatically shit.

Also fanboys who only believe their console is any good, I'm only going to get a PS3 after looking at the 3 I think I'll like that best. I can see all 3 are good so am sick of people saying how their friend who works in a game shop said that the emotion 1.142287 processor is slightly not as good as the other, to be honest do they really think most people that will buy the console will give a flying fuck about that?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's probably the future of gaming, but I hate advertisements in the game itself. Now I don't mind in say a hockey game where the boards have advertisements (as this is true in real life) what my gripe is blatant advertising in the game itself. Fight Night Round 3 was horrendously guilty of this. First by allowing the King to be manager, and then, halfway through the game, they show an advertisement for the new Dodge vehicle and show a fully rendered version of it up for grabs. I find it's too much and it looks like this is a dangerous trend for video games.

I cannot stand people that take gaming way too seriously. Anyone who calls themselves a "professional gamer," should probably be kicked in the fucking teeth. I also hate that this is being glorified lately and even getting loosely labeled a "sport." Sorry, video games aren't sport... video games are for people like me who suck at sports.

And this leads me to my next big gripe, dorks who think they're cool because they kick ass in Halo. Yeah, you still get stuffed in your locker at school, please stop trying to be badass on your headset when you're sitting on your couch. These are the kind of people who think Revenge of the Nerds should be a documentary and they should also be kicked in the fucking teeth. Games are supposed to be fun, not a place for you to act out your fantasies of retribution against the guy that called you a homo.

Anybody that uses phrases like "pwned" or "l33t." That goes for anywhere, not just games.

I hate the lack of originality in games and I hate that when something original does come along, eight different clones spring up. I know Guitar Legend, Guitar God, and Guitar Guitar Revolution can't be far away.

Another thing I hate how most games lately are including the match the button presses action for minigames and such . seriously I've played 4 games this week and they all had that in some sort of way and Shop glass in bully is a prime example.

It was mainly with the older games, but poor translations. You would think that if you were releasing a popular game in a foreign country, you could at least beta test it with people from that country. (Metal Gear, I'm looking at you). "I feel asleep!" What the fuck does that mean? You FEEL asleep? Couldn't they have just replaced it with some simple "Zzzzzzz....."s or something?

Oh, and this stands in D&D as well as computer RPGs; anyone who plays them and focuses on nothing but maxing out their character's stats, with complete disregard to the storyline. I can't understand people who'll buy an RPG, then skip through all the dialogue. What's the fucking point?

It's pretty much the same story no matter what game you play. Kill bad ass motherfucking baddie and/or his boss. What's wrong with leveling up to the max? You hear people bitch about how hard a game is, then you go and get ready to hunt bear. How many RPGs are the same, basic storyline? It's either 'this chick is special because she can help us', or 'We're a kingdom, but we have no standing army, and stood to get our asses kicked. Go get those motherfuckers. Oooh, there's Jesus and Biggie".

And another thing, it's pretty much the KOEI games. Yes, they're fantastic simulations, but come on, how many times can you release Nobunaga's Ambition or Romance of the Three Kingdoms? Couldn't they concentrate on other ideas? How about fiction? (well, they *DID* do Gemfire...but that died a quick death).

How about this one. Bots. Maybe they could improve the AI a little bit more, instead of always having the damn things move on the same fucking path.

One last thing, commentary in sports games just drives me nuts, always has. Today, if it's using people's "real" names, would it kill the voice actor to say the whole line, instead of just recording the name, then putting it into another sentence? Example, World Series of Poker: Tournament of Champions. Lon McErahan "(dryly)Hachem....(ecxitedly) IS GOING ALL IN!" That and when they fuck things up, this was mainly a nuisance in the older Madden Games. I call a fake punt, and right when they line up, before the ball is even fucking snapped, Pat Summerall just goes "It's a fake". Good call Pat. Ruin my play a little more, would you?

Half Life 2 didn't have a game? Fuck, I'd even put Far Cry above Medal of Honor or Battlefield, which are two of the shittiest FPS out there.

I probably wasn't too clear, I was giving Half-Life 2 as an example of a game that DID have good gameplay. I loved it.

I do have to concede to the KotoR thing though, yeah.. that wasn't an FPS :shifty:

Morrowind was a million times more of an a RPG than Oblivion. I like both, and Morrowind was a First Person RPG, while Oblivion was just a hack and slash game with leveling up.
Edited by Steaming Pile Of Shit

There's something ironic about that exchange right above me.

SSPS: It isn't the space that's the issue for commentary, for most PS2 and Xbox games, the entire 4.3GB is never filled anyways, it's the lack of time/pure laziness of the developers to not have more commentary.

Another gripe of mine, aside from the commercials in the games, reviewers. By this I mean the sheer volume of reviewers. The whole point of a reviewer to me is to give educated criticism and praise for games that deserve it. They should be the definitive reviewer. However, since these matters do have an element of subjectivity, there should be a few definitive reviewers. That's it. But with everyone claiming to be a reviewer and having a medium to do so, it cheapens the point of a reviewer (since people entrust these for purchases) and it can cheapen the game because if the game advertises certain reviews that praise it and they're from rinky cities like Peora and ignore shitty reviews from major outlets, it deceives consumers to purchase the game (wow, runon sentence).

Another thing I hate how most games lately are including the match the button presses action for minigames and such . seriously I've played 4 games this week and they all had that in some sort of way and Shop glass in bully is a prime example.

Why? Those are piss easy.

It's pretty much the same story no matter what game you play. Kill bad ass motherfucking baddie and/or his boss. What's wrong with leveling up to the max? You hear people bitch about how hard a game is, then you go and get ready to hunt bear. How many RPGs are the same, basic storyline? It's either 'this chick is special because she can help us', or 'We're a kingdom, but we have no standing army, and stood to get our asses kicked. Go get those motherfuckers. Oooh, there's Jesus and Biggie".

Playing Fallout 1/2 (more 2) to max a specific character can actually change the game, though.

And Morrowind sucks without mods. The main quest was incredibly lame. Playing around with the physics engine is indeed a lot more fun then actually trying to beat the game.

I cannot stand people that take gaming way too seriously. Anyone who calls themselves a "professional gamer," should probably be kicked in the fucking teeth. I also hate that this is being glorified lately and even getting loosely labeled a "sport." Sorry, video games aren't sport... video games are for people like me who suck at sports.

And this leads me to my next big gripe, dorks who think they're cool because they kick ass in Halo. Yeah, you still get stuffed in your locker at school, please stop trying to be badass on your headset when you're sitting on your couch. These are the kind of people who think Revenge of the Nerds should be a documentary and they should also be kicked in the fucking teeth. Games are supposed to be fun, not a place for you to act out your fantasies of retribution against the guy that called you a homo.

Anybody that uses phrases like "pwned" or "l33t." That goes for anywhere, not just games.

I hate the lack of originality in games and I hate that when something original does come along, eight different clones spring up. I know Guitar Legend, Guitar God, and Guitar Guitar Revolution can't be far away.

I absolutely fucking agree.

The first big gripe I have is the fact that EA have a monopoly over American football video games. This fucking sucks because I absolutely hate Madden football and it's College counter part. I've hated the series since it was released on the Sega Genesis over a decade ago. I loath the control in the game, it's always felt so clunky and awkward to me, and that goes from early Sega games to the newer PS2/XBox 360 versions.

My biggest gripe with this is that it effectively killed any chance of me playing an updated version of the Sega Sports brand of NFL games. I absolutely loved the engine, graphics, and overall feel of the gameplay for the Sega Sports versions. I felt like everything about it made it a much better game. Ok, so Madden's franchise mode was more in depth, but the point of the game is to play a game of football and win the Super Bowl. When it comes down to it, the on field action of Sega Sports blew Madden away in my humble opinion. Shit, EA even made it so Sega Sports can't make a college football game, and I could have atleast settled for something with the same engine of Sega Sports football games.

Turn based RPG's. Ugh, this is why I could never get into the Final Fantasy series. I hate the idea of "Ok, I have to cycle through and pick attack, but he might block it. Then I have a wasted turn. Ok so next I'll cycle through my fire magic, oops, Raidya is almost dead, better heal her instead." Fuck that crap. Just let me hack the fuck out of the boss with my sword, x and o will suffice for attacks while the other buttons are used for jumping, dashing, magic, etc. Seriously, where did the concept of taking turns in battle come from? Is it a way for the warriors to be a bit more polite towards each other? I can excuse this in older consoles where the system may have been limited, but now I think this method of gameplay should be rendered obsolete.

Edited by VerbalPuke

*standing around with no action at all*

Cloud: "...Er, it's your turn."

I got the best image of Cloud and Sephiroth politely taking turns attacking/casting in FFVII thanks to that. Thanks Pukey. :wub:

Guest Zeokage

Turn based RPG's. Ugh, this is why I could never get into the Final Fantasy series. I hate the idea of "Ok, I have to cycle through and pick attack, but he might block it. Then I have a wasted turn. Ok so next I'll cycle through my fire magic, oops, Raidya is almost dead, better heal her instead." Fuck that crap. Just let me hack the fuck out of the boss with my sword, x and o will suffice for attacks while the other buttons are used for jumping, dashing, magic, etc. Seriously, where did the concept of taking turns in battle come from? Is it a way for the warriors to be a bit more polite towards each other? I can excuse this in older consoles where the system may have been limited, but now I think this method of gameplay should be rendered obsolete.
Edited by Zeokage

What would you suggest as an alternative?

To turn-based combat? Real-time combat, surely?

I dunno, I like the turn-based combat. Does it lack realism? Of course, but I find fun in something so simplistic, and the good RPGs incorporate some form of strategy at least. Of course, it should be noted that the last time I enjoyed any RPG was FFIX.

Shit, EA even made it so Sega Sports can't make a college football game, and I could have atleast settled for something with the same engine of Sega Sports football games.

Be expecting 2K Sports to release a football legends game very soon. *Ickey Shuffle*