Gaming industry Pet Peeves

Docpepper

At the moment I can only think of 2.

1. Instruction Booklets: lately instruction booklets are becoming increasingly thin in size. I rented need For Speed Carbon and the instruction booklet is 4 pages(not counting front and back covers - I beleive. I've seen some instruction booklets that were only 2 pages. Most EA games are like this but I've seen others. I miss the days of opening the instructions and and being able to take my time and read up on the game. hell sometimes they made good bathroom reading when nothing else was handy , but todays booklets are crap.

2. Online play:it seems like today companies focus too much on online modes and such instead of including multiplayer options for those that can't get online. Call of Duty 3(PS2) comes to mind. Rented it and thought me and my brother would be able to play split creen co-op or deathmatch , but sadly this wasn't included. Splinter Cell Double Agent was a fresh breath of air since it let you and friend play co-op. it seems like if I want to have some deathmatch fun with my friends , I have to fall back on some of the old James Bond games , Swat , and Ghost Recon.

I understand that online is popular but at least include some options for the people that can't get online.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have XBOX Live now, so I can now play console games online, but I still think that sometimes their is too much focus on the online portion of a game. I would rather have an amazing single player experience then a mediocre one with good online play.

The term "Halo Killer". Seriously, Halo wasn't even THAT good of a game to begin with, and the majority of these "Halo Killers" end up being even worse (I'm looking at you, Killzone). Just get over Halo, and try to make a good game that sells on itself.

Changing the button lay-out between the single player and multiplayer. It's a simple one, but it does tend to fuck me up sometimes. I'm looking at you, Battlefield 2.

Gamestop workers who are shocked when I refuse to pre-order Halo 3 after asking me if I want to 23489724974 times by saying that I'm just not a fan of Halo.

Seriously, people DO have their opinions you know?

1) Games based on movies and childrens TV shows. They all suck, really really bad. Except Goldeney and Path of Neo.

2) Racing games where the AI cars magically appear right behind you every time you pull ahead.

3) Fighting games where the AI fighters flagrantly cheat in a number of ways.

4) Game magazines and websites spending the majority of the review talking about how flawed and poorly done a game is, then give it a 9.0+ rating(*cough*Doom 3*cough*)

5) What Dochappy said about instruction manuals

6) EA Games.

7) When a mediocre game gets a half-dozen sequels without ever improving, if not getting worse.

1. Instruction Booklets: lately instruction booklets are becoming increasingly thin in size. I rented need For Speed Carbon and the instruction booklet is 4 pages(not counting front and back covers - I beleive. I've seen some instruction booklets that were only 2 pages. Most EA games are like this but I've seen others. I miss the days of opening the instructions and and being able to take my time and read up on the game. hell sometimes they made good bathroom reading when nothing else was handy , but todays booklets are crap.

2. Online play:it seems like today companies focus too much on online modes and such instead of including multiplayer options for those that can't get online. Call of Duty 3(PS2) comes to mind. Rented it and thought me and my brother would be able to play split creen co-op or deathmatch , but sadly this wasn't included. Splinter Cell Double Agent was a fresh breath of air since it let you and friend play co-op. it seems like if I want to have some deathmatch fun with my friends , I have to fall back on some of the old James Bond games , Swat , and Ghost Recon.

I understand that online is popular but at least include some options for the people that can't get online.

Get Football Manager or Civ 3, or most PC new games, then you won't complain about that, they're fucking huge.

Guest Melkon_Firebane

Get Football Manager or Civ 3, or most PC new games, then you won't complain about that, they're fucking huge.

Edited by Melkon_Firebane

I have never read a booklet, at least not until I've been playing the game for a while. It's more fun to not know what you're doing I find.

I tend to read as I'm playing, loading times and the such, or when I want to figure something specific out, I've never read a whole instruction book out of anything other than anticipation of playing the game whilst I travel home.

The fact with developers focusing more on online play than multiplayer functions is money, why develop a multiplayer game for friends when you can make an online multiplayer and rake in the cash 24/7 for it?

The games industry nowadays just sucks in general. I loved the game industry when I was underground. >_>

The fact with developers focusing more on online play than multiplayer functions is money, why develop a multiplayer game for friends when you can make an online multiplayer and rake in the cash 24/7 for it?

The games industry nowadays just sucks in general. I loved the game industry when I was underground. >_>

And I'm sure the gaming industr would love people who criticise them to be underground.

See what I did that, was indicate they wishes you were dead. Y'see?

I'm funny :blush:

1. Games with inexplicably long loading times (see Blitz: The League, for example - better yet, don't, because the game sucks)

2. Fighting games with mega-cheap non-playable bosses. Moloch in Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance comes to mind.

3. One-player sports or strategy games where the A.I. either wasn't tested enough, is bugged, or is intentially cheap. Again, Blitz: The League comes to mind. *

4. See Dochappy's comments about instruction booklets.

5. Games with adjustable difficulty settings that are wrong (ie, a game that easy as sin on Normal yet has an Easy setting)

6. Lack of decent, readily available joystick controllers (for Fighting games, because some combos are damn near impossible to pull off with a standard controller).

7. Games going system exclusive when they've had games released for other systems already (ie, Dead Or Alive, and Rumble Roses XX if there isn't a PS3 version).

* I heard they've come out with Blitz: The League for the X-Box 360; trust me, and avoid it like the fucking plague just on principal, because the PS3 version had shitty AI and long loading times, and they shouldn't be allowed to make a success out of the X-Box 360 version.

Edited by GhostMachine

And I'm sure the gaming industr would love people who criticise them to be underground.

See what I did that, was indicate they wishes you were dead. Y'see?

I'm funny :blush: